Your Fighter EDC

I pretty much have a sardonic opinion to most all of this tactical, survival, warrior stuff.

It's a fad. But as fads go, it isn't the worst. You can bet that many of the fine survival knives you sell are just sitting in drawers or lying in tool boxes. There is something fascinating to me about weapons and tools. I think it is part of human DNA. My days of high adventure are winding down, but I'm better equipped now than I ever was when I was actually engaged in rugged outdoor and warrior stuff. What surprises me is how many of my old knives are now worth many times what I paid for them. I wish my other investments had done as well. There has always been some fantasy about weapons. As a kid, I watched Jim Bowie on TV. I could not wait to get a real bowie knife, and then throw it into a tree. Sure, there are plenty of posers and mall ninjas doing all that hokey reverse grip kung fool knife stuff. Maybe some of it is actually useful. I bet they would have a hard time taking me if I carried my 22" Tramontina and they had the latest "Tactical" folder.

It's a fad. But as fads go, it isn't the worst. You can bet that many of the fine survival knives you sell are just sitting in drawers or lying in tool boxes. There is something fascinating to me about weapons and tools. I think it is part of human DNA. My days of high adventure are winding down, but I'm better equipped now than I ever was when I was actually engaged in rugged outdoor and warrior stuff. What surprises me is how many of my old knives are now worth many times what I paid for them. I wish my other investments had done as well. There has always been some fantasy about weapons. As a kid, I watched Jim Bowie on TV. I could not wait to get a real bowie knife, and then throw it into a tree. Sure, there are plenty of posers and mall ninjas doing all that hokey reverse grip kung fool knife stuff. Maybe some of it is actually useful. I bet they would have a hard time taking me if I carried my 22" Tramontina and they had the latest "Tactical" folder.

:thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

^^ Fads... a growing popularity in knives (and survivalism in general- just check out Discover Channel TV listings lately) Well, its better than silly bands!

I wouldn't call it a fad, especially for the folks who've walked the line. Lots of the video game teen mall ninjas will eventually grow up and many will join the ranks of those who came before serving their country. Our world is in a pretty crappy place right now. Not saying it wasn't before. Self defense, survival mindset, etc. should be a way of life, not a fad. Prepared not paranoid. Sure, there's a thin line there, but I think most of us are on the right side of that line.

Exactly. Nor do I factor in whether or not a man is skilled in the martial arts, weapons training, etc. I've already seen the highly trained get their lights dimmed. In the end, I live thinking on how to escape and evade trouble rather than confront it. I'm a pussy and don't mind telling anyone that. True, sometime you just have to take the punches and fight when there is no way out, but just about every situation I have seen in bars, alleys, and Third World had some type of escape route.

I could not agree with you more, I have walked away from many situations that were nearing the point of action. I've always felt walking away( or running) is a better solution than getting bloody even if the blood isn't mine.

When asked my advice on what weapon I would take to a "fight", my response has always been the same: "none, I'm not going". The only time I couldn't get away with that idea was when I wore a uniform and I did my duty with what was issued.

I could not agree with you more, I have walked away from many situations that were nearing the point of action. I've always felt walking away( or running) is a better solution than getting bloody even if the blood isn't mine.

When asked my advice on what weapon I would take to a "fight", my response has always been the same: "none, I'm not going". The only time I couldn't get away with that idea was when I wore a uniform and I did my duty with what was issued.

I spent alot of my younger days ending up in bad situations. Just the way I was raised. You just don't back down or accept any disrespect. I paid dearly for that upbringing but I learned alot of lessons. Hell, even well into my 20's I was chasing people down in parking lots. The Mrs. can relate some interesting stories to that regard, and she doesn't know the half of it.

But, age, maturity and children changed all of that for me. I came to realize that there's no fight worth leaving my girls without a daddy. I learned there's no shame in living to fight another day when it's really worth it. Motorcycle got sold for the same reason, not worth the risk.

I spent alot of my younger days ending up in bad situations. Just the way I was raised. You just don't back down or accept any disrespect. I paid dearly for that upbringing but I learned alot of lessons. Hell, even well into my 20's I was chasing people down in parking lots. The Mrs. can relate some interesting stories to that regard, and she doesn't know the half of it.

But, age, maturity and children changed all of that for me. I came to realize that there's no fight worth leaving my girls without a daddy. I learned there's no shame in living to fight another day when it's really worth it. Motorcycle got sold for the same reason, not worth the risk.

Yes, I want to be able to tell stories to my grandchildren not have someone tell them stories about me.

I came to realize that there's no fight worth leaving my girls without a daddy.

Yeah, there is one type. The type where if you try to leave instead of fighting, you don't come home to your girls anyway.

Somehow this has devolved into braggart bar fighting or something. I left that behind a long time ago as well.

But to say that there are not people out there with the taking of your ass on their mind is to simply ignore reality.

I'm not worried about the shitheads in bars or ones that wear bad boy drawers with eyes on each ass cheek. I couldn't care less about them.

I sure as hell am not talking about living some type of, "Why you dissin' me yo" hip-hop-rap-crap "lifestyle," either.

Yeah, there is one type. The type where if you try to leave instead of fighting, you don't come home to your girls anyway.

Somehow this has devolved into braggart bar fighting or something. I left that behind a long time ago as well.

But to say that there are not people out there with the taking of your ass on their mind is to simply ignore reality.

I'm not worried about the shitheads in bars or ones that wear bad boy drawers with eyes on each ass cheek. I couldn't care less about them.

I sure as hell am not talking about living some type of, "Why you dissin' me yo" hip-hop-rap-crap "lifestyle," either.

I think the spirit of my post was pretty obvious.

Of course there's times when walking away isn't an option, thus this statement:

I learned there's no shame in living to fight another day when it's really worth it.

But the reality is that I could have walked away from the vast, vast majority of the fights I decided to engage in.

Whew, lotta testicles in this joint. :D Here's my take on it and I waited for 8 pages to come up before I dropped this on ya'll. Hold on, its gonna be bumpy.

I carry a Colt 1911 with 8rds of Speer GDHP, and an ESKabar. If I have to use either of those in a fight/survival scenario that I can't walk or run from, the guy on the other end will never, ever see either of those 2 items. I believe in if I'm gonna fight, I'm gonna win. If I gotta hit 'em in the head with a brick, well, where's the brick.

Always cheat, always win. I have never had to brandish a weapon, I have never had to threaten anyone. I have been stabbed, and I didn't like it. I been shot at, and I didn't like that either. Whatever I have to do to get out alive, maybe not whole, but alive, I'll do. I carried a CS Recon 1 Modified Tanto folder for a while, and it saw more time at work that anywhere else. I don't want to go to the ground. I have no qualms about killing another human being to save my own life.

I practice with my sidearm to be quick and accurate. I practice drawing from cover. I use my BK14 so much during the course of a day, that I have now ingrained in my memory, all I have to do is think about it and its in my hand.

I like the movie, "The Ghost and the Darkness", theres a line that always stuck with me, "we all have a plan, until we get hit", I don't believe plans work, but a good strategy does. Just my opinion.

Oh, and my preferred method of combat is, a bolt action .308 and scope and about 800yrds between me and the guys that want to do me harm.

Be safe, be cool, be taktikool.

Moose:D

Amen, brother.

So when you're not packing around one of your many ESEEs, what type of fighter style fixed or folder do you prefer? I have several, but am always looking to expand my collection. :)

If I am going to the city and know I will be out past dark, I carry my Cold Steel Recon 1 Tanto. Solid lock up.

Lorenzo

If I am going to the city and know I will be out past dark, I carry my Cold Steel Recon 1 Tanto. Solid lock up.

Lorenzo

I usually carry and ex-wife or ex-girlfriend and while they're being raped, I run.

Whew, lotta testicles in this joint. :D Here's my take on it and I waited for 8 pages to come up before I dropped this on ya'll. Hold on, its gonna be bumpy.

I carry a Colt 1911 with 8rds of Speer GDHP, and an ESKabar. If I have to use either of those in a fight/survival scenario that I can't walk or run from, the guy on the other end will never, ever see either of those 2 items. I believe in if I'm gonna fight, I'm gonna win. If I gotta hit 'em in the head with a brick, well, where's the brick.

Always cheat, always win. I have never had to brandish a weapon, I have never had to threaten anyone. I have been stabbed, and I didn't like it. I been shot at, and I didn't like that either. Whatever I have to do to get out alive, maybe not whole, but alive, I'll do. I carried a CS Recon 1 Modified Tanto folder for a while, and it saw more time at work that anywhere else. I don't want to go to the ground. I have no qualms about killing another human being to save my own life.

I practice with my sidearm to be quick and accurate. I practice drawing from cover. I use my BK14 so much during the course of a day, that I have now ingrained in my memory, all I have to do is think about it and its in my hand.

I like the movie, "The Ghost and the Darkness", theres a line that always stuck with me, "we all have a plan, until we get hit", I don't believe plans work, but a good strategy does. Just my opinion.

Oh, and my preferred method of combat is, a bolt action .308 and scope and about 800yrds between me and the guys that want to do me harm.

Be safe, be cool, be taktikool.

Moose:D

Sir, I totally agree with your statement. If it has to happen and I can't get away from the scrum, I'm going home alive. BTDT but I don't like the memories it leaves. To that end, I carry my Sig 220 loaded with CorBon 185gr.HP with 230gr. SXT as my backup mags (I gave my 1911 to my eldest son).

Ok, now that's funny, I don't care who ya are.:D:thumbup:

Moose

Yeah, but someone will take offense to it, get pissed and sell their damn Ontario RAT, Becker and Busse blades!

BTW: My ex-girlfriends and wives are really getting tired of going to downtown Atlanta with me. Although I think they've enjoyed it a time or two!

Yeah, but someone will take offense to it, get pissed and sell their damn Ontario RAT, Becker and Busse blades!

I got email turned on, keep it of the discussions and exchange, just email me, I'll take a crack at 'em, if their good.:D:thumbup:

Moose

I'm new to the forums but intrigued with all of the information that is available here. To throw my two cents in...

I carry a Glock 26 as a primary and a Kershaw Tanto Blur in my pocket. I have heard a lot of good things about the ESEE knives and will be checking out your booth at the Shot Show. Can't wait to get my hands on the RAT series.

Thanks for the info!

Last edited:
I carry a Kershaw Mini Cyclone as a folder of choice. I rarely carry a fixed blade unless I am out in the woods (on person i mean, I always have one in my EDC and GHB). It locks open solidly and has held up very well to a number of years of abuse. It isn't really all that tactical, but it works well.

Has anyone here that carries a firearm tried the "20ft drill"? The idea of the drill is to practice drawing a holstered weapon against an armed attacker within a 20ft circle. The results are pretty interesting if you haven't tried it.

Back