Your First GEC

Could start believing in miracles Žan :D Glad it reappeared. I admire the Kaiser Wilhelm II 5 Mark and Vicky Crown, The George&Dragon by the Italian engraver is one of numismatic's masterpieces, especially if you have a Proof 5 Pound coin in Gold:cool:

Thanks Will! Actually it's a Hamburg 5 Mark, but the obverse is a bit beat up, so I didn't show it. :rolleyes: George killing the dragon is a great motive and your sovereigns compliment your knives very well. :thumbsup: George and the dragon is one of numerous archetype stories and I have a somewhat personal attachment to it because of its symbolism. That's where a toned crown coin almost gets better than a proof 5 sovereign - you're not afraid having it in your watch pocket for lucky charms. :p:D

images

I wouldn't mind one of these either....Una & the Lion.

Almost as rare as certain GECs...:D;)

images

I wouldn't mind one of these either....Una & the Lion.

Almost as rare as certain GECs...:D;)

Yup, it's a pitty this design didn't make it, but I guess it was a bit too fantastic for the Brits ...

Those rarer GECs of old are mighty fine, but some of the more common patterns produced in higher numbers are just as great, imo. I think you'll agree about the last run of 15s. And while you'd preffer a long pull, I wouldn't mind a secondary pen blade either. :oops:

1yxFNtW.jpg

Mine was a 74 in cocobolo. It's still one of my favorites. I waited a while before getting a GEC and now I regret missing out on the 47 vipers. I really wish I could have gotten a hold of one of those....

My first GEC was a maroon linen beer scout. It was the first traditional I’d bought since I was a kid and had an SAK. I remember being disappointed with the patina because I thought it was rusting (I know what Will Power would say ). I ended up discovering blade Forums shortly before or after I sold it and have been trying out GEC patterns ever since. I actually spent all of 2018 buying and selling just for that purpose—it was fun, sometimes exhausting, but also very rewarding as I’ve learned a lot about traditional knives and my own preferences.

Last year my interest in traditional knives returned. After reading hundreds of pages of "What makes a Good Traditional Barlow" I was smitten with the TC Barlows and knew I had to find one. I came across 2 at essentially the same time and purchased both, having no idea how fortunate I was to find them especially the chestnut pony cut. The slippery slope keeps getting steeper...

35996E48-5CF8-499B-888C-C02774CBEB32.jpeg

ELAOExEh.jpg

My first GEC, a 99 Farm & Field i bought 5 years ago. Very well made, O1 steel, cutlery rivet pivot, pinchable, smooth walk, firm lock, no blade play. I have bought some other knives i do like but this one remains my favorite despite its Delrin covers (i would have preferred Micarta).

Dan.

I only have 3 GEC's ... first was a 2 blade acrylic #61, an abalone #38, and a stag powderhorn (large toothpick). Fine knives ... I've had a few other GEC's that didn't make the team ...

True, but that's exactly it - they look better without a shield, to me at least and I really don't like bails, so I'd have to figure out something about that extra hole in the handle ... There is no pleasing us knife nuts, is there? :rolleyes::D

You could opt for bottle opener/screwdriver mated to a Sheepfoot? No irritating bail or shackle here:cool::D on this 15

93oPLmN.jpg

Back