Your first knife/your first Becker

Good lookin’ little guy you got there Cap! Nice to see you around these parts.

My first knife was a Swiss Army.
First BK, and still my favorite...BK11.

My Dad's USGI Utility knife from WWII. My first Becker was a BK16.

upload_2017-12-23_8-48-6.jpeg

$_35.JPG

congrats! babies are great! I miss that new baby smell. I don't miss the middle of the night / early morning wakeups and dirty diapers though.

my first was an old buck knock off folder. my dad always said make the first knife a cheap one. it's the first one they'll lose. in my case he was right (he usually is. I should listen more often..)

my first becker was a bk3. the first knives I got my kids was a shorty kabar and a sak camper. gave 'em to the two older kids when they turned 18. the younger one likes outdoor adventures more, so she may get hers earlier. we'll see.

Congrats, Cap'n!!

My first knife that I remember was a Victorinox SAK, probably a camper. I seem to recall the saw.

Congrats on your little guy. My first knife was some cheap folder, don't remember the make, but I remember closing it on my finger a time or two :D my first Becker was the Camillus 2 . That 16 you have would make a great first knife, when you think the time is right .
I too, have a vivid memory of folding my knife on my fingers when I was pretty young. The blade was super dull, which in this rare instance was probably good because it didn't cut too deep. I was so embarrassed because I knew better that I didn't make a big deal of it and bandaged it up myself and just didn't mention it to my mom haha! I didn't want to lose knife privileges. Needless to say, I haven't done that again!

Who puts a knife beside their baby for scale? Haha, only on Bladeforums, I like your style! Great looking son, enjoy every minute of him growing up. My two boys are 19 and 17, I miss those days!

For your son’s first I would recommend either an Opinel Scout?? (the one with the rounded tip) or if going with a Becker, the BK11. I would round the tip off on it as well, might prevent loosing an eye for a beginner.
:D I figured a 16 would make the most sense to most people!

Also, the rounded tip thing seems to be common with kids blades. I am learning about this now. I guess leatherman even makes a kids multitool now. SO COOL! The loosing an eye thing is legit - my husbands brother got a knife in the eye when he was a kid (long, complicated story apparently) and was the luckiest guy ever because he didn't lose vision in that eye!

Congratulations on your new Baby Boy. He is starting out with a very large Beckerhead family already. My first knife that I can remember was a Ontario pilots knife that I abused with wreck less abandon as a kid. The first Becker that I bought was a Bk3 that I bought for my son to take to Afghanistan. That was about 8 years ago. My first Becker was my BK9 and I cut myself with it. Thats when I must have been injected with some sort of Becker venom. I didnt seek medical attention I let the venom course thru my veins
Thank you, and I've been cut by several Beckers, the venom really is a drug man. (although one of them I did have to get medical attention lol)

My first knife was this Leatherman Squirt P4. Probably the best small multitool I have ever seen. My first Becker (the BK7) has yet to arrive... Thanks, Amazon shipping! :D
I just got a Squirt for my birthday a few months ago and I love it!! It's so handy. I didn't expect to use it a ton, but I do. Also, congrats on the BK7 I am sure you'll love it!

Welcome to parenthood!!!! Mine turns three in a couple of weeks. :) It makes you look at the world differently and it makes you want the world to be a better place. Congrats and many years of health and happiness to you and your family.
I'm suprised how much a perspective change I've had since having the kiddo. He's so precious and it's true about wanting to make the world a better place. That, and everyone needs to get off the dang road, I've got a baby in my car and everyone is a nut job!! :p

Good looking son! Growing up with a mom (and presumably a dad) that knows something about knives and the outdoors is going to be pretty cool for him.

For a first knife, I know there is a "My first Opinel" and a "My first Victorinox." There are probably others. They have rounded points, but I think they do have real edges, so you must be mindful of that.
Thank you! Yep, he's got a dad that is outdoorsy too, although I know more about knives. :D
I'm going to look into those "My first" knives you mentioned!

Congrats on Mini-Cap, Cap!

My first knife was a Victorinox. My Dad bought it for me, during one of our camping vacations. Was probably eight or nine years old. I was so proud of that thing. Must’ve cut myself a dozen times with that blade...:D

My first Becker was a 16, which led me to this place. My daughter was gifted a 14 from someone here when she was 6. She’s used it quite a lot, while camping, hiking, or sitting around the fire. As soon as she was able to follow directions responsibly, I let her play around with it. I liked that it had enough handle for her to, well, handle it, plus enough of a finger guard to prevent slips and cuts. She just recently received a 16 of her own, and is excited for next summer to come so she can break that one in.

As for a first knife for your lil’un, you really can’t go wrong with either a SAK or Opinel, as stated above. The kid-friendly models have locking blades (which I could’ve used when I was younger). As for fixed blades, I found an old Frost-Mora, with a full guard (cost me a whopping 50¢), at a garage sale this summer, which would’ve been an awesome first knife for a kiddo.
I think a 14 (or an 11, since have a fondness for them) should be a fine first Becker.
I was thinking a Mora would be a cool first blade too... it seems like a lot of folks get folding knives first rather than fixed blades. do you think that's just cause they're cheaper or something? I feel like having a knife that doesn't fold would be safer? Anywho it'll be fine either way I'll teach him how to use the darn thing. Do you feel like your daughter can handle the 14/16 pretty well? I feel like I want the handle to fit well in his hand so he has really good control. Although he's in the 99th or above percentile for growth in all categories so he'll probably be huge and need a BK9 for his first knife at the rate he's going!!

Thank you everyone for your response, this thread is great!

My first knife was a little black "switchblade" looking knife gifted by a family friend. Funny enough, my family are all outdoorsmen so knife carry is quite common. Despite this, and the fact I had several knives, I rarely carried them when I was in grade school (it was a different time and youngsters carrying a knife was just fine with society).

The day it all changed, we were having a large family get-together and several of my cousins were in the woods making whistles out of willow trees. I wanted to make one too and asked one of my cousins if I could borrow his knife. The look all of them gave me made me feel like I just confessed to leaving a dead body in the trunk of my parents' car. I had knives, but they were all at home sitting on my dresser. I told them as much, and felt completely foolish. That day I went home, put a knife in my pocket, and have felt naked without one since.

My first Becker was a BK7. I bought it after a lot of research. However, I quickly found that the BK7 was kind of a "master of none" for me and ended up going to a BK9. I have added a whole lot more since then!

My first Becker was a BK7. I bought it after a lot of research. However, I quickly found that the BK7 was kind of a "master of none" for me and ended up going to a BK9. I have added a whole lot more since then!
YellowSwiss, I feel like your situation with the Beckers will be the same as mine... I bought the 7 and I feel like the 9 would actually fit my needs better... But my finances say that I should enjoy the 7 for a little while before upgrading... ;)

I was thinking a Mora would be a cool first blade too... it seems like a lot of folks get folding knives first rather than fixed blades. do you think that's just cause they're cheaper or something? I feel like having a knife that doesn't fold would be safer? Anywho it'll be fine either way I'll teach him how to use the darn thing. Do you feel like your daughter can handle the 14/16 pretty well? I feel like I want the handle to fit well in his hand so he has really good control. Although he's in the 99th or above percentile for growth in all categories so he'll probably be huge and need a BK9 for his first knife at the rate he's going!!

Might be a perception thing with a fixed blade as well - people seem to see them as more “stabby” than a folder? I’ll be the first to agree that a fixed blade would be safer than a folding knife (I still have scars on my thumbs for proof).

I think a Mora would be an awesome first knife for a tyke. They still have models with finger guards, and might even have a kids-first type one with a rounded tip (although I might have dreamt that one...)? Here’s the one I found and cleaned up:

Untitled

As for the 14, she was about 6 when she first got her paws on it. Pretty much a perfect size for her. I think she tried out my 16 when she was younger, but liked hers better (might’ve been because hers was pink, though). She was really able to control it, even at a young age.

Untitled

Untitled

DSCN6765

(I used to have earlier pics of her using it, before photobucket took a dump...)

She got to pick out the Paracord to customize hers, although it sounds like by the time yours is that age he might need actual handles on his lol.

Last edited:
My first knife I had to buy myself on the sly with my mother's help who let me get it on the sly, grand dad was a big hunter out doorsman and he taught my mother EVERY thing and she taught me. My dad was all "You don't need a knife!" mind set type. And then when he found out I had a knife. A Western knife with a nice classic look and good carbon steel blade. "That's to big!" I think it ran about 5 inches. Maybe 4. I used that knife for years, from small game to big game, where my "To Big Blade!" was really needed. As dad used smaller and smaller knives to make some inane point on "All you need is a 1 and 1/4 inch Blade to dress a deer!" it got down to later on it got down to an inch. He could field dress a deer with that little Victorix knock off but it took a dang long time! I was forced to learn on the 1 inch knife to dress a deer...I cheated I used a sharp rock when he went to warm up as my hands were shaking red in blood when dressing the deer at -20 degrees. After a while I the Western was literally wearing out, I got some Buck 110s and Scharades to increase my inventory (thanks to mom taking me to where I could get them). Of which ONE knife survived my growing up my dad didn't "Loose" after he borrowed it. That old Scharde is the sole survivor of the knives I had growing up. The Western, well it hung around for a letter opener till it got lost in a move.

After a few hunts of late my old man saw one of my field knifes and said "That's to BIG!" again so I guess I reacted to his way to small blade sized Mentality by getting real sized knives the past few years. And bigger blades.

My first Becker is my Tough as heck "THATS TO THICK!" as my old man says BK2. I needed a good tough full tanged solid middling knife for general work and cutting big things and I wanted a 1/4" thick one to boot that was a saber grind! And a GOOD SOLID HILT! One made fast work of its tasks people used it for. I got "TO MANY KNIVES!" as the old man says I loan a few out when some one needs them.

God Bless Grand Dad for teaching mom the skills she taught me. :D

Edit: Edited Auto-Correct

Last edited:
First knife for me was a cheapo Walmart knife first quality knife would be an hk soldat and first Becker a bk15 not many ppl start with the bk15 but I loved it at first sight xD

Cute little guy there too! I’d say get a smaller fixed blade I’ve always felt there a much safer option!

My very first knife was a gift from grandpa, a small fish shaped folder, still remember the cuts that I did to myself with that little fella (i guess to many)...
First Becker was a bk7, that i dropped on my foot when unboxing it the very first day, not the most careful person on the world.

Well Merry Christmas! It's your son's first Christmas. The BK-16 is a great knife. It will stand the test of time.

My first knife was a small peanut sized Imperial that I bought for $0.50 at the 5&10 when I was in the first grade. A larger Imperial followed in about the 3rd grade. I saved up quite a while and bought a Case Barlow when I was probably 10 years old. Can't remember how old for sure other than being so proud of that knife! Wore that knife out. Another Case (two blade jack knife) followed when I was in late High School and I still have that one.

My first Becker was the BK-2 which I purchased at a knife store when they were so heavily recommended for a "survival knife". It never really did it for me. Others followed that one with my favorite being the BK-15.

My first knife was a krusius bros. gazelle handed down from my uncle after he passed. I think I was 15. I got a lot of use out of that blade and still have it.
My first becker, a bk14, should be arriving shortly.

My first knife was a krusius bros. gazelle handed down from my uncle after he passed. I think I was 15. I got a lot of use out of that blade and still have it.
My first becker, a bk14, should be arriving shortly.

First of many post I hope. Welcome to the forum and congrats on your first of many Beckers.

First of many post I hope. Welcome to the forum and congrats on your first of many Beckers.
Thanks buddy. I really like the looks of the becker line. Been looking through the forums for ideas for modifying my 14... some pretty sweet looking Beckers. The jimping on aikiguys pic a few posts up for example.

Congratulations on your little guy, Captain Airyca Captain Airyca ! Sometimes I find myself missing my kids at that age, they are only cute little babies once... Mess, smells, and sleepless nights aside, the journey is worth it, especially when they start achieving independence and decision making skills (then the fun really begins ;)).

I still have my very first pocket knife and my very first fixed blade. A Schrade Old Timer 340T, which I received when I was 10ish(?) and a Buck 119 when I was 16. My first Becker was the one and only, the King, the master of all, the venerable BK-9 which I purchased a number of years ago.

O1fJZ1Y.jpg

aCKThtW.jpg

nqJ2Zbu.jpg

When I bought my son his first pocket knife, I wanted to get him a Schrade Old Timer as well but unfortunately, Schrade is no longer really Schrade and their knives are made in China now. They just don't compare to the Schrade quality of old... So I opted to get him a Vic Huntsman instead and he was enormously thrilled with it.

Here he is around 3 years ago when he was 8.

8uvQIeI.jpg

Fast forward to just last month when I took him to his first Becker West Gathering and he made out like a bandit, taking home an additional 5 knives (I think?). He took home a BK-11 (his first Becker), a Kershaw Blur, a Fallkniven F1 (a knockoff version), another Vic (can't recall the model), and the Snody Snake Charmer (which he traded a BK-13 for, his first horse trade!). He was super stoked, had a great time and is already trying to get more knives. I'd say that he is pretty hooked...
That, coupled with me bringing home a BK-11 and a BK-13 to give to my daughter for her first knives/Beckers, made quite the splash with my kids and they are already wanting to attend the next Gathering...

Here are the two of them, getting this year's Christmas tree. (Note the knives. They insisted, and who am I to say no to knives?!:D)

oG1IC5z.jpg

iiaUMxH.jpg

I know this response is aimed at A Aikiguy but I thought I could speak to it somewhat as I have kids of a similar age (I think). My daughter is 9 and she is rather timid when it comes to folding knives, especially slip joints, which I happen to have quite a few. I like firmer pulls on my folding knives so that, coupled with the inherent "snap", tends to be disconcerting for her. As a result, I have been hard pressed to find "the knife" for her as her first one. I remedied that by bringing her home a BK-11 and 13 from the most recent Becker West and she couldn't have been more thrilled. She took to the 11 immediately and it suits her hand pretty perfectly, though we do have plans to make some wood scales for it in the not so distant future so that could affect her grip a bit. My boy was a bit different and took to the handling of folding knives pretty quickly, not being deterred by the "walk and talk" of slipjoints or the flipping and locking of my more modern folders.

So I guess my takeaway is that every kid is different and plenty of exposure, handling, and teaching will pretty much be in order regardless.

Back