Your first knife/your first Becker

The first knife I remember was an Old Timer stockman. I was 8 years old. My mother gave it to me for my birthday. Written on the box was , knives like grandad's , or something like that. The next time I saw my grandad I had to check his knife. I was heart broken, he had a case trapper.

Can't really go wrong with either of those fine examples!

My mom was kinda paranoid about me liking knives at an early age, as I was fascinated by McGyver and his magical Vic (even got into trouble when I tried to steal a vic knock off at a Walgreens when I was like 6-7 yo), so when I in my early teens went out exploring with my friends to the old abandoned sugar cane plantations of Toa Baja, I had an old Ontario kitchen knife within a cardboard and tape sheath, hidden at the house and snuck out when going out on adventures, whose uses ranged from peeling and slicing mangoes and grapefruits to throwing, cutting rope, and a general feeling of being a grown up. For some reason, we Puerto Ricans as a whole, tend to view knives as weapons, but to me it was always a tool.

Years later in college, as I was an agriculture student, we all carried knives when going out to the farms, and I got into the habit of always having one on me. The knives of that era ranged from the useful to the ridiculous, with the common denominator of being cheap. Then college was done, started to work, and in 2001 when I started where I'm at right now, the first work tools handed to me were a flashlight and a Gerber Gator, which I still keep. From there, there has been an ever growing pile of sharpened steel :D

First Becker was a 9 bought around 2010 I think, which has been slightly modded, resides in a kydex and leather sheath, and is 8 feet away from me sitting in an office drawer, as it is part of the work rotation.

ZQJ29i3.jpg
My first knife as a kid. Camillus Cub Scout.
My first Becker was a bk2

First knife was an imperial, Providence, RI scout folder, similar to the one pictured in post #64. First Becker was the 7(2 of them, actually arrived together).

ZQJ29i3.jpg
My first knife as a kid. Camillus Cub Scout.
My first Becker was a bk2

almost exactly the same for me.

My first knife was a slightly different Camillus scout knife (same tools, but smooth scales).

My first becker was a BK2 as well.

My first knife was a Buck 119 I got at Walmart back in the mid 90's when I was around 10 or so. My first Becker will be the BK7, just (im)patiently waiting for it to arrive sometime this week.

Back