Your first Spyderco of 2019?

Any new Para 3 that I will get my hands on.

An interesting LC200N that will come out.

I really want to see the Tropen reviews when people start getting them. The way the blade sticks out in the lock cutout is a likely dealbreaker to me.
Its been talked about to death, yet spyderco don't see anything wrong with it. I'm guessing it will be made limited numbers.

The following illustrates just how "overboard" I've gone in buying more Spyders.

1) I just "won" a vintage Spyderco Catcherman at auction.

2) I just learned elsewhere on BF that deliveries of the Tropen have just begun. So my $5 pre-order for one should be filled shortly.

3) I also just discovered that I'm eligible to buy knives directly from Spyderco for 50% off MRSP under its OpFocus program as a retired LEO. So, I bought a Chinook 4 and a black Matriarch2 LW SpyderEdge Wave.

Fortunately, most of the knives I still want are "out of stock" at Sypderco (but not from dealers or in the 2ndary market) and there are only a few more that I want that I can buy from them.

However, I can still buy the the Magnitude (MSRP $485), Mantra 2 (MSRP $290), Bradley Folder 2 (MSRP $240) and a few others that I want at less than dealer/2ndary mkt prices, directly from Spyderco, which will cost me at least another $500-$1k (even at 50% off).

So, I'm not sure that this OpFocus eligibility is such a "good thing" or not. LOL! ;)

Last edited:
I really want to see the Tropen reviews when people start getting them. The way the blade sticks out in the lock cutout is a likely dealbreaker to me.

BladeOps posted a pretty good close up video and the edge in the lock area is definitely un-sharpened. I'm not sure why they didn't just make the choil larger and clear the material out of the lock area vs. a big chunk of dull edge. Interesting design but not for me.

BladeOps posted a pretty good close up video and the edge in the lock area is definitely un-sharpened. I'm not sure why they didn't just make the choil larger and clear the material out of the lock area vs. a big chunk of dull edge. Interesting design but not for me.

Thanks! I think it would be a really enormous choil on a blade that's relatively short in height is probably why.

The DLT Manix2 for me, unless you count the super gold delica I’m in for.
I’m trying to not get a vtoku stretch.

stretchy.jpg

Just arrived, and she gets to slice up some junk mail :)

I bought a Caribbean during a Boxing Day sale and my my wife's new Endura just arrived.

I am not a converted Spyderco fan yet and am still a bit ambivalent about some things, but I have to admit that I am always impressed with the Spyderco out-of-the-box sharpness and quality of the grinds. They really are top notch.

Also, I looked at the 2019 catalogue yesterday for the first time and was really impressed at the layout and design. Knives aside, this is a nice catalogue with lots of well-presented information!

I looked at the 2019 catalogue yesterday for the first time and was really impressed at the layout and design. Knives aside, this is a nice catalogue with lots of well-presented information!

I just looked at the 2019 Catalogue too. It's really incredible how many knives that Spyderco makes and explains fully why I'm going broke buying as many as I can. LOL!

Not my first of 2019, but I really wanna get the DLT Manix. I certainly intend to try, already made an account with DLT to be ready to go.

I’m not too sure if any Spydies are in my radar yet this year. We’ll have to see what “surprises” we get dropped on us throughout the year with their new release policy!

Not my first of 2019, but I really wanna get the DLT Manix. I certainly intend to try, already made an account with DLT to be ready to go.

DLT is doubly good because they are such a great company to deal with. They have great dealer exclusives, but they're just top notch folks with a great selection and incredibly fast shipping. I do as much of my knife buying with them as I can.

DLT is doubly good because they are such a great company to deal with. They have great dealer exclusives, but they're just top notch folks with a great selection and incredibly fast shipping. I do as much of my knife buying with them as I can.

I've never used DLT before. I usually use Knifecenter, myself. Their shipping is always extremely quick as well(as long as you order stuff that's actually in stock), and with their rewards point program thing it usually nets me a $50 gift card by the time the end of the year rolls around. I've also gotten other gifts from them for reaching certain spending thresholds, I know one year they sent me a free Victorinox Tinker which was pretty sweet as well. To be fair I've never had anything but good experiences with BladeHQ either, but assuming equal prices I go with Knifecenter for the points. Once I order my Native Salt in a week or so I'll already be up to a $20 gift card just from January's buys.

I've never used DLT before. I usually use Knifecenter, myself. Their shipping is always extremely quick as well(as long as you order stuff that's actually in stock), and with their rewards point program thing it usually nets me a $50 gift card by the time the end of the year rolls around. I've also gotten other gifts from them for reaching certain spending thresholds, I know one year they sent me a free Victorinox Tinker which was pretty sweet as well. To be fair I've never had anything but good experiences with BladeHQ either, but assuming equal prices I go with Knifecenter for the points. Once I order my Native Salt in a week or so I'll already be up to a $20 gift card just from January's buys.

How does KC's gift card reward work? I've got one coming.

Their explanation of the program is confusing to me Is it a debit card that they send you that you can use anywhere or is it a gift "credit" only useable on KC's site?

Back