YOUR G.G.G.G. GRANDMOTHER'S GARTER KNIFE(?) 1800's SHEFFIELD ENGLAND

B4*ANY F. WARD & Cos CUTLERY SHEFFIELD

1800's Spearpoint/Dagger (both edges sharpened)
Natural Smooth Bone
Original Leather Sheath
Gold Leaf motif and "stitching"
Blade 4 5/8" Overall 8 3/8"
May have been carried but doesn't look used at all

The question is, who might have used or carried such a weapon? Man or Woman?
... and r8shell r8shell does that natural smooth bone scream scrimshaw or what?

FREDERICK WARD & COMPANY

Frederick Ward was born on 5 November 1825, the second son of Sheffield merchant and man of letters, Thomas Asline Ward (Broomhead & Ward). Frederick’s older brother was Asline Ward (1821-1905), who was the agent of George Wostenholm. By 1849, Asline and Frederick were ‘American merchants’ in Howard Street, and living with their father at Park House. In 1850, Frederick partnered Benjamin James Eyre (and Asline Ward and Peter Brownell) in Eyre, Ward & Co, Sheaf Works. The firm sold razors, pocket knives, dagger and Bowie knives, scissors, and edge tools. They had a New York agency in Cliff Street and then Beekman Street. When that partnership ended in 1857, Ward began a solo career as an American merchant and manufacturer, based in Norfolk Street. In 1858, it was reported that Ward had started manufacturing table cutlery by machinery to compete with the Americans (Sheffield Independent, 9 January 1858).

He was also one of the first traders to recognise the extent of the market in China and in 1857 helped organise an exhibition of Chinese hardware for the benefit of Sheffield manufacturers. In the early 1860s, Ward moved to George Street and by 1879 had established Frederick Ward & Co, merchants and manufacturers of pocket knives and table cutlery. In 1884, the address was Tudor Place. Ward’s trademark was B4*ANY, and two pistol marks (picture), one with the letter ‘L’ and diamond, the other with a letter ‘A’. Sheffield Museums has a large exhibition pair of scissors in gilt steel made by Frederick Ward & Co for the International Exhibition of 1862. Ward had apparently retired by 1900, with the B4*ANY mark sold to John Watts. Ward died on 15 June 1908, aged 82, at Esplanade Road, Scarborough. His estate was valued at £11,344. He was buried in Ecclesall churchyard.

https://hawleysheffieldknives.com/n-fulldetails.php?val=wA&kel=438

In the photos, there are shadows on the shiny blade. Those are not large areas of discoloration.

xADRHwp.jpg

jTF6kit.jpg

FtJcooR.jpg

Zv0VmeW.jpg

GbD5zHu.jpg

9SrUBYM.jpg

ihRQ2WR.jpg

q3TQWaN.jpg
PYYKt0O.jpg

Last edited:
B4*ANY F. WARD & Cos CUTLERY SHEFFIELD

1800's Spearpoint/Dagger (both edges sharpened)
Natural Smooth Bone
Original Leather Sheath
Gold Leaf motif and "stitching"
Blade 4 5/8" Overall 8 3/8"
May have been carried but doesn't look used at all

The question is, who might have used or carried such a weapon. Man or Woman?
... and r8shell r8shell does that natural smooth bone scream scrimshaw or what?

FREDERICK WARD & COMPANY

Frederick Ward was born on 5 November 1825, the second son of Sheffield merchant and man of letters, Thomas Asline Ward (Broomhead & Ward). Frederick’s older brother was Asline Ward (1821-1905), who was the agent of George Wostenholm. By 1849, Asline and Frederick were ‘American merchants’ in Howard Street, and living with their father at Park House. In 1850, Frederick partnered Benjamin James Eyre (and Asline Ward and Peter Brownell) in Eyre, Ward & Co, Sheaf Works. The firm sold razors, pocket knives, dagger and Bowie knives, scissors, and edge tools. They had a New York agency in Cliff Street and then Beekman Street. When that partnership ended in 1857, Ward began a solo career as an American merchant and manufacturer, based in Norfolk Street. In 1858, it was reported that Ward had started manufacturing table cutlery by machinery to compete with the Americans (Sheffield Independent, 9 January 1858).

He was also one of the first traders to recognise the extent of the market in China and in 1857 helped organise an exhibition of Chinese hardware for the benefit of Sheffield manufacturers. In the early 1860s, Ward moved to George Street and by 1879 had established Frederick Ward & Co, merchants and manufacturers of pocket knives and table cutlery. In 1884, the address was Tudor Place. Ward’s trademark was B4*ANY, and two pistol marks (picture), one with the letter ‘L’ and diamond, the other with a letter ‘A’. Sheffield Museums has a large exhibition pair of scissors in gilt steel made by Frederick Ward & Co for the International Exhibition of 1862. Ward had apparently retired by 1900, with the B4*ANY mark sold to John Watts. Ward died on 15 June 1908, aged 82, at Esplanade Road, Scarborough. His estate was valued at £11,344. He was buried in Ecclesall churchyard.

https://hawleysheffieldknives.com/n-fulldetails.php?val=wA&kel=438

xADRHwp.jpg

jTF6kit.jpg

FtJcooR.jpg

Zv0VmeW.jpg

GbD5zHu.jpg

9SrUBYM.jpg

ihRQ2WR.jpg

q3TQWaN.jpg
PYYKt0O.jpg
Nicely found and researched - great piece!!!:thumbsup:

Seems kinda fancy and colorful. Must have been quite striking with white bone handle and red sheath.
Wonder if it might have been a "prostitute's dagger"?
If only knives could talk. Well, they do in the hand with a language all their own.

Well, if it were a Prostitute's Dagger she would've been an expensive one :cool: Ordinary street-walkers probably had to defend themselves with a small cheap kitchen knife in their boot, works the same :D

Very interesting item, your collection is becoming amazing!

That's a very nice find, B BrotherJim .
It's very classy, not overly ornate: I could imagine it carried by a gambler.

*I never scrimshaw anything over 100 years old...at least I haven't yet.
Thank you "r8shell" !!! :) ... just wondered if you saw a blank canvas and inspiration ... and maybe a little caution LOL.
I'd never scrimshaw an already antique. Well like many words, "never" is an adverb, so there's that :D

As to who would carry such a knife, either or a him or her. Back then double edged sportsman's/hunting knives were popular.
Supposedlt even Danny Boone had such, although much fancier with a damascus blade and buffalow horn(?) handle slabs ... if the picture of "his" knife I saw many decades ago in a magazine was accurate.

Very nice example. :)

(EDIT: Both him's and her's hunted back then.)

[OFF TOPIC]
... and if this dagger was carried by a gambler ... I may have his ring too !!! ;)
This 1carat Mine Cut (1800's) diamond ring

My stepdad was born in 1899 and his father was a lawyer and Probate Judge in Selma, Alabama on the Alabama River where he, and MUCH later I, grew up.
"Mr Bill" told me his father won the diamond ring from a River Boat Captain (flat bottom steam wheeler boat used mostly for hauling cotton) in a poker game.
Mr Bill changed the mount in the early 1940's. I have no idea what the original mount looked like.
William Vaughan 1899-1994 ... I miss Mr Bill. He wanted me to have his antique diamond ring that belonged to his father ... and a gambler. Thank you sir.
[/OFF TOPIC]

1GhIp9H.jpg

Love the stories and lore that come out with old knives ... and your most valued opinions. Thanks guys !!! :)

Last edited:
[OFF TOPIC]
... and if this dagger was carried by a gambler ... I may have his ring too !!! ;)
This 1carat Mine Cut (1800's) diamond ring

My stepdad was born in 1899 and his father was a lawyer and Probate Judge in Selma, Alabama on the Alabama River where he, and MUCH later I, grew up.
"Mr Bill" told me his father won the diamond ring from a River Boat Captain (flat bottom steam wheeler boat used mostly for hauling cotton) in a poker game.
Mr Bill changed the mount in the early 1940's. I have no idea what the original mount looked like.
William Vaughan 1899-1994 ... I miss Mr Bill. He wanted me to have his antique diamond ring that belonged to his father ... and a gambler. Thank you sir.
[/OFF TOPIC]

1GhIp9H.jpg

Epic Post Brother Jim! When I was looking at the first post, I found myself thinking about cigar smoke in the air, the clinking of glasses and bottles, and the sound of a piano winding it's way through the cacophony of a crowded bar. :thumbsup::)

Epic Post Brother Jim! When I was looking at the first post, I found myself thinking about cigar smoke in the air, the clinking of glasses and bottles, and the sound of a piano winding it's way through the cacophony of a crowded bar. :thumbsup::)
GREAT visual sitflyer sitflyer !!! ... I can see it too! :D
This knife came out of California (L.A. area). No idea how it got there or for how long but I'm sure there were plenty of places like that on the west coast ... maybe even some hall in San Francisco. Who knows.

GREAT visual sitflyer sitflyer !!! ... I can see it too! :D
This knife came out of California (L.A. area). No idea how it got there or for how long but I'm sure there were plenty of places like that on the west coast ... maybe even some hall in San Francisco. Who knows.
I just know somehow that this wonderful dagger has a sordid past...it just seems to whisper tales of debauchery, sinful ways, and wickedness! LOL

The term prostitutes Dagger gets thrown around an awful lot, but according to Bernard Levine there is no such thing.
I remember buying some Woodhead Bowie knives that I got Bernard to check out as they were around the mid 1800's, the use of these Knives were extremely popular because they were light and made an excellent weapon for self defense or offensive, and the Bowie knives were often small and as light as a Butter Knife, not always was a Bowie a Huge Knife.

I absolutely love the Tang Stamp and the Font, you just cant beat old Knives!!

I just know somehow that this wonderful dagger has a sordid past...it just seems to whisper tales of debauchery, sinful ways, and wickedness! LOL
Yeah, I can't really see wearing it Sunday morning when church bells are ringing :D LOL

The term prostitutes Dagger gets thrown around an awful lot, but according to Bernard Levine there is no such thing.
I remember buying some Woodhead Bowie knives that I got Bernard to check out as they were around the mid 1800's, the use of these Knives were extremely popular because they were light and made an excellent weapon for self defense or offensive, and the Bowie knives were often small and as light as a Butter Knife, not always was a Bowie a Huge Knife.

I absolutely love the Tang Stamp and the Font, you just cant beat old Knives!!
While looking at old knives, I've had to adjust my understanding of what a "Bowie" is or was. The Cambridge knife I posted in another thread was represented to me as a Bowie.
9" (23cm) long and 3.9oz (111gr) with stag handle covers. So "light" I almost wondered if there was anything in the envelope when I removed it from my mailbox LOL.
Have a similar knife that should be here Saturday (marked "Manson, Sheffield") and it too is represented as a Bowie.
And I agree Duncan, old knives are the best :)

Back