Your Honest Opinions on Gerber Multitools

Hello,

I have used some GERBER tools and especially MP models.
What I like on these ones:
-the external position of the tools which don't need to open the tool to be put in action
-the one hand activated head.

I can add that the French Army DET units have been given a special variant of the GERBER DET tool which have been slightly modified under military request. It's integrated in a demining pouch.

Right now my EDC tool is a Leatherman Charge TI and I'm fully satisfied, but this doesn't mean I won't come back to GERBER someday.

Take care,

Bob

I had bought my gerber 400 compact multi tool back in 2002. I had only bought them because my job required we needed a multi-tool. So one day on my lunch break I went to walmart and bought them. I loved them at first, simply because they were made in the USA! The job didnt require hard use of them, so they still looked like new after 2 months. I had only used them at the job for 2 months and than they had a mass layoff, so I found another job and really found no need to carry them, so I threw them in a drawer for 5 years. I was going through my dresser last march and found them and figured I would carry them, and thats when the nature of the gerbers really came out. Most people say they either swore by them or at them, but me it was mostly at them. They always pinched my hand and left blood blisters. Than in april I was using the blade to cut some simply thin rope, and SNAP! the blade just broke. Cutting bailing rope as straight as possible and still broke. It was all downhill from there, as the next week, the philips screw driver stripped out, the regular screw driver bent, and the can opener also snapped off. So hear I was with just pliers alone, not even a multi-tool. Than in the last week of may, using them to loosen a nut and bolt, one of the jaws completely snapped off!!!!!! Now I was left with nothing! I contacted gerber about warranty work, and they told me that each different tool broken or bent was a different issue, and they would replace one and i would have to pay for the rest! told me it was gonna cost $70, which i didn't even pay for them brand new. I hung up the phone, took what was left of the pliers out of the sheath, and drove out to the dam and tossed them off in the 90 ft deep water. One and only experience I have ever had with gerber, but it was enough to swear them off forever! I could expect this from chinese quality, but not American! hand them for 6 years and only after 3 months of use, they failed me. I have since bought a leatherman wave, and love it! Now granted not all parts are made in the USA, I know they are assembled here, and I love it! Quality is so much better than gerber, and they have a more solid feel and no blood blisters!

Gerber Quality::jerkit::barf::thumbdn:
Leatherman Quality::thumbup::):D

Back