Your ideal edc fixed blade.

I think one who is looking to wear or carry a fixed blade as an edc needs to consider just what their real purpose is with the blade. That purpose influences and perhaps defines the appropriate blade for their use. A true self defense fixed blade is probably larger than most of us want to carry on our belts around town. But everyone has their preferences. Where I am, I technically can carry any size of blade anywhere a knife is permitted. But that doesn't mean I do.

It could be anything I suppose. The Everyday in EDC can be bushcraft. If a sheath knife counts, this a great one.

GAbM5vs.jpg

Last edited:
I carry a pocket knife everyday without fail. On several occasions I had to do a task with one hand already in use. Without the little Hunt n Fisch fixed blade the task would have been more difficult and time consuming. All I had to do was pull out the fixed blade and cut something rather than let something else go that needed to be kept under tension and use the folder. Sometimes they just come in handy.

I have several that I like, but my most prized one is a Fiddleback Hiking Buddy hand spun by Andy Roy. Just too dang handy not to have one my person, and has never let me down.

Flippers/autos/assisted-openers make one-hand use of a folder much easier. But I prefer a fixed blade for EDC. Always have, even though I carried folders for years. Now I carry one of each, all the time. Usually the folder is of lesser quality, so I don't feel bad if something happens to it. Today it's a Craig Steketee fixed blade, 3" forged 1095, nice wood scales, don't know what kind of wood, and mosaic pins. Vertical belt carry, strong side in front of the .45 Commander. And a Ganzo Firebird auto. But I'm also a fan of the Kabar Dozier Big Easy slip-joint folder, even if it doesn't lock. A good edge for a cheap steel, and my specimen is nicely fitted(I've heard of problems in the fit and finish of this knife). Bought it from Bob Dozier himself, tho, so I imagine he'd inspected it before he sold it to me..

My favorite thus far is the Bradford Guardian 3.5, perfect ergonomics and M390 blade steel. Easy to carry as well.

Edit: I have the architect sheath. The leather sheath makes it difficult to carry concealed

...But I'm also a fan of the Kabar Dozier Big Easy slip-joint folder, even if it doesn't lock. A good edge for a cheap steel, and my specimen is nicely fitted(I've heard of problems in the fit and finish of this knife). Bought it from Bob Dozier himself, tho, so I imagine he'd inspected it before he sold it to me..
I have one too, but it's too large for me to carry comfortably (pocket brick) unless I'm in the woods. I need to take a look at mine for issues as I have never really used it. Everything looks tight. The lack of the lock does detract from it to me unless there is a reason not to carry a knife with a lock.

Last edited:
Fallkniven F-1 rides quite nicely outside my EDC day pack for the past couple years. The Pro model had too much flash but as of yet no one notices the regular model when I'm out and about.

22-rimfire, I like to hand mine to someone, open, and ask them to find the lock. They hear that snap when it opens, and just assume there's one there. Somewhere...

Reason enough for me to carry one. Oh, and the part about cutting stuff. Just need to be careful how.

At this time carry a Mc Williams model 2 in a pocket leather sheath and a busse MBC

Back