Your ideal edc fixed blade.

I think one who is looking to wear or carry a fixed blade as an edc needs to consider just what their real purpose is with the blade. That purpose influences and perhaps defines the appropriate blade for their use. A true self defense fixed blade is probably larger than most of us want to carry on our belts around town. But everyone has their preferences. Where I am, I technically can carry any size of blade anywhere a knife is permitted. But that doesn't mean I do.
For self defense or personal protection I would carry a Cold Steel Trail Master or Laredo Bowie, California law allows this as long as the knife is worn in plain view and not concealed in any way. But that invites lots of stares and possible contacts with law enforcement. Maybe if I didn't live in a crowded city I wouldn't mind, but lots of "suspects" are shot before questions can be answered these days!!!

I just got in a White River Backpacker Pro that I plan to EDC some. This kinfe is about as perfect as a small EDC blade gets for me. Good steel, good price, great sheath, and it even comes in a nice wooden box (nicest packaging I've seen I think).

BTW, I live in Fresno... Population is (2014) 512,000 but Fresno county is in the 900,000 range. I carry openly with no issues.

I just got in a White River Backpacker Pro that I plan to EDC some. This kinfe is about as perfect as a small EDC blade gets for me. Good steel, good price, great sheath, and it even comes in a nice wooden box (nicest packaging I've seen I think).
It is certainly a nice little knife! I like mine.

BTW, I live in Fresno... Population is (2014) 512,000 but Fresno county is in the 900,000 range. I carry openly with no issues.
In 2017 San Francisco's population was 884,363. It has undoubtedly increased since then. Then there's the rest of the Bay Area which surrounds "The City"! Walk down the street with a large fixed blade hanging form your belt and you will be treated like an animal that escaped from the local zoo. These are city folks who "might" use a butter knife to spread some jam on their morning toast. To see a knife on the street is so foreign to their civilized minds that they panic and call the cops. That's another topic for a another day!!!!!!

Frisco, Oakland, Vallejo, Daly City, San Jose. There are chapters all over the Bay Area and even they carry folders or smaller fixed blades when out and about. The last club guy I saw with a fixed blade was wearing a Buck 119 with cocobolo handle and that was about 2 years ago.

what is your favorite edc fixed/pocket knife?

I seldom carry a fixed blade but, when I do, I prefer to carry a KaBar Hellfire (Hinderer) because it's a purely SD weapon (which I primarily why I carry a knife), easily concealable (legality aside) and comes w/a retention sheath that makes it difficult to lose and for anyone else than you to remove.

image2.jpg

Last edited:
And yet they have or had a full blown knife store on Pier 39 with a somewhat politically incorrect name. Go figure.:D
In 2017 San Francisco's population was 884,363. It has undoubtedly increased since then. Then there's the rest of the Bay Area which surrounds "The City"! Walk down the street with a large fixed blade hanging form your belt and you will be treated like an animal that escaped from the local zoo. These are city folks who "might" use a butter knife to spread some jam on their morning toast. To see a knife on the street is so foreign to their civilized minds that they panic and call the cops. That's another topic for a another day!!!!!!

How are you liking that Z Tuff? Sounds a bit like L6 on steroids. I am trying to find out what it would cost to get a piece large or actually wide enough to make a tactical hawk.
My knife is equivalent in size to the Recon Scout.

How are you liking that Z Tuff? Sounds a bit like L6 on steroids. I am trying to find out what it would cost to get a piece large or actually wide enough to make a tactical hawk.

Still haven't used it enough to get an idea of capabilities. Having a toughness close to S7 with wear resistance equivalent to A2 is close to perfection for me.

Close to S7 but at slightly higher hardness from what I am reading. Sounds perfect for something like a hawk or bush sword. You probably wouldn't have to mess with differential HT or tempering anything back. Just through harden for straight martensite and rock.
Still haven't used it enough to get an idea of capabilities. Having a toughness close to S7 with wear resistance equivalent to A2 is close to perfection for me.

Close to S7 but at slightly higher hardness from what I am reading. Sounds perfect for something like a hawk or bush sword. You probably wouldn't have to mess with differential HT or tempering anything back. Just through harden for straight martensite and rock.

Mine was done by Peter's to 61 with deep cryo.

I am just now trying out carrying a FB for edc and wanted something light so just ordered a spartan enyo from bladehq,will report back after I get it and carry it for a week or so about my thoughts on it.

Back