Your Izula Grip Preference?

Just got an Izula very recently, purchased the micarta slabs along with it. Knowing my taste, I figured I like them on the Izula, gotta say that after some use now, I don't really care for them.

Tad bulky in the hand. Grip just feels off with them on. The naked handle or cord wrapped feels much better to me. More natural. Great knife no matter the choice.

So your preference? Naked handle, cord wrapped or micarta?

I've only had mine for a week or so and so far prefer the scales. My cord wrapping leaves a little to be desired though, maybe that's the issue. I'm looking forward to the Izula II with the full scales too.

Honestly, I never considered my Izula a knife before I got the scales, maybe my hands were too big. Either way with the scales its become my favorite knife, but never again will I cord wrap it.

I have two Izula knives, one with the scales and one without. I actually prefer the naked Izula to scales or wrap.

I use a thick cobra weave around my izula now that goes camping. My edc stays naked, and I like to hold it with my pinky through the hole to keep it nice and secure. It LOOKS really uncomfortable but it's perfect for my skinny fingers ;)

I'd imagine I would like the micarta scales, but I don't have the funds to try them out.

I just got an Izula and put it through some of the "just got the knife now I want to cut some stuff."

I like it much better with the scales than without.

I did a quick and functional (not really nice looking) paracord wrap, and wasn't that impressed with its grip. Although a wrap is what I pretty much wanted to do originally since I still have a liking for paracord wrapped handles from my days that I owned an EK bowie.

I had the scales on mine for like 20 minutes before i took them off and traded them for a folding saw lol

For some reason they just threw off the ergonomics and balance. Because only a few of my fingers were on the scales i felt like i couldnt get good leverage on it compared to a naked or properly wrapped Izula, especially when doing cuts into a harder wood. Also, while i edc the Izula for its utilitarian purposes, i also carry it in case i need it for self defense. I found i couldnt throw the Izula acurately with the scales on it unless i was in a 5ft radius, and at that point it would be smarter to keep the knife in hand. With the paracord wrap im able to create a little distance, stick them in the hamstring, and run like hell to escape the situation and avoid further altercation.

I'm getting wood scales done for mine. Cord wrap feels fine to me but I can't for the life of me get the damn thing to stay in place. Perhaps I'm cordially challenged? I definitely don't like it without anything on the handle. Too many little sharp edges and whatnot.

I didn't care for the bikini scales. I actually prefer a cord wrap but usually just leave it naked. Although I wear it daily it only gets used occasionally.

I just put ranger bands on mine.
019-4.jpg

cord wrapped, izula is one of my favorites, because when I get bored carrying it, 6 foot section of a different colored paracord and voila! new knife =)

I had mine wrapped with para cord and then a tube from a tire pulled over the para cord. Liked it allot but recently decided to remove them and go naked. I like naked better. :D

I tried different paracord wraps but didn't like them much ,plus they absorb a lot of crap. I wrapped with wax thread ( doubled it since) and like that a lot better. Bare bones is fine also. I like to keep my Izzie thin and not bulky. Slips in the pocket easier , and neck wear is actually OK. Here's a pic:
Izula-1.jpg

I tried different paracord wraps but didn't like them much ,plus they absorb a lot of crap. I wrapped with wax thread ( doubled it since) and like that a lot better. Bare bones is fine also. I like to keep my Izzie thin and not bulky. Slips in the pocket easier , and neck wear is actually OK. Here's a pic:
Izula-1.jpg

Damn, that's a sweet wrap-job. If I ever take off my scales I may have to go for something like that.

I like the most handle purchase and comfort I can get, so as of now I like the bikini scales.

I cant wait for the Izula #2 which will have more handle space and full scales -exactly what I like.

Here is a little project I am working on. I really want a pair of full scales. :D:thumbup:

It is Kiawe, a local species of mesquite.

6406854f-1-1.jpg

Hey howz it goin? As far as the question i have never tried the scales but can tell without a doubt they would be too short for me. I do like the wrap totally better than the barebones skeleton handle......

I reccomend adhesive bandage tape. I have had it on my Izzy for about a month, and it has been through a lot. It has held up wonderfully. I made a thread about it. Its titled "budget Izula wrap".

As I said in my original post, I'm not overly fond of the micarta scales. They're not bad...love the look of them...just not crazy about the feel.

Gonna try it cord wrapped for a few days and then naked for a few and see what I like best overall.

Never know, I might end up coming back to the scales in the end. Lots of factors involved.

All that said, I think my "dilemma" really speaks to the versatility of the Izula. I truly wish I'd gotten one of these a long time ago. Just an awesome little knife for EDC no matter what you choose for a handle.

Back