Your killin me Boker Plus

So has anyone else noticed the glut of really interesting/desirable collaborations being put out by Boker Plus these days? I for one have been frustrated by this because I am making a concerted effort not to buy chinese made knives. I know I buy many things from china, but I just don't get the same satisfaction out of a new knife if it is from china. The problem is that I keep seeing very interesting knives from Boker plus all from 440c and all made in China. I feel I would pay considerably more for these same designs if they came from Germany or even Taiwan.

I am referencing the sniper bladeworks collabs, the burnley kwaiken, the tom krein blades, the Nano, the trance,the Farkas bandit, the hossom hunter/killer and I am sure many others...

I would probably want one of each of these and more if they were made elsewhere. It seems like they are getting more awesome collabs than any of my favorite mfr's, but I just have a hard time spending my $$ on chinese 440c.

Just a rant.

I love the Boker Plus Rambler. Blue/black G10, ok steel, good ergos, ok sheath, and only $30. Forget where it's made. The company matters a lot more than the country, IMO. You can have crappy US knives and good Chinese knives, or the other way around, depending on the brand.

I don't have a problem with Boker Plus. 440C is a great EDC steel, and the fit and finish is actually very good for the one I have. Especially for the price. They do have some very interesting designs, and for what you get, you can do much worse from other companies. I believe Boker Plus line does a good job at getting custom designers into customers hands at a reasonable price with good materials. Titanium liners, G10 handles, Ti framelocks, decent 440C steel, and most for under $100. Not a bad deal IMO.

It is China, but so is Kizer, and look how much praise they are getting right now!

I love the Boker Plus Rambler. Blue/black G10, ok steel, good ergos, ok sheath, and only $30. Forget where it's made. The company matters a lot more than the country, IMO. You can have crappy US knives and good Chinese knives, or the other way around, depending on the brand.

I have to agree here, I really like the little Rambler.
E56A95CD-4BA1-4E2C-BCC6-6A425CAEAD4F_zps58fznhl0.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Here is my Mini Vanquish and I am very happy with what I got. Blue anodized Ti linerlock with a unique design.
photo1_zpsa98b7bb9.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

You can buy whatever you want, from whatever company you want. You're not hurting anyone but yourself by not buying something you like. I've owned a few of the knives you mentioned as well as the GTC collab. All top notch, quality knives. As far as 440C goes, Boker has been doing it for a long time and doing it right. There's a reason they still use it too, it's a solid steel for a using knife. It may not stack up with the blade snobs, but it works for people who use their knives more than admire the alphabet soup the blade is made of. Nothing against blade snobs mind you, but most of the time blade steel is blown out of proportion more often than not. That is especially true with proper heat treat and a modicum of sharpening ability. Yes, the knives are made in China, out of a (now) basic steel. You'll get over it and buy one or you won't. If you do, you'll likely be surprised.

I have several of the Boker Plus line of knives, and are very happy with their production quality. Where they are manufactured is not a conflict because no one in the USA makes them.

Country of origin don't mean squat if the QC is there to back it up. If you like a design, buy it. That's why there is a return policy. My buddy has had the same Chinese kershaw for years, and despite the many scratches it has acquired, it still has a whole lot more love to give.

I don't give a flying f*** where a knife is made. I care about grinds and about pocket-clips. I.e. I don't like hollow grinds and unfortunately I only carry tip-down.

So has anyone else noticed the glut of really interesting/desirable collaborations being put out by Boker Plus these days? I for one have been frustrated by this because I am making a concerted effort not to buy chinese made knives. I know I buy many things from china, but I just don't get the same satisfaction out of a new knife if it is from china. The problem is that I keep seeing very interesting knives from Boker plus all from 440c and all made in China. I feel I would pay considerably more for these same designs if they came from Germany or even Taiwan.

Just a rant.

I'm bias when it comes to buying from china. Lots of stuff I buy from there are great but alot of the time it's a gamble. Very cheap in price but also in quality sometimes. I'm still fighting people to get my money back for items that are completely defective from china. Actually bought four Fallkniven Fakes (didn't know about how the chinese were making cheap replica's of expensive well know brands)but found out they were and cancelled them immediately and was lucky enough to get my money back. In the desciption of these Fallkniven's it said made with vg10 and it was a complete lie. Contacted them and they told me it was actually vg10 mixed with other steels.Well who knows what that really is. 85% of the time it's good when buying stuff from china who knows what kind of quility your getting. When it comes to knives I have lots made in taiwan that are great but more prefer knives that say made in USA,Scandinavia,Germany,Italy and Japan. Bought lots of good things from china but a good enough amount of bad products too in all catagories to be sceptical when I do buy from them.Especially when to comes directly from there.

The Boker Plus Federal GTC Design is a high-quality piece with 440C blade steel, titanium frame lock and titanium handles with CF insert made in China. I also have the Boker Plus Manaro Bullseye Grip in 440C also made in China. Had centering issues but Boker sent me a brand new one and it has been good. In both cases, I would've liked to see better steel like Boker's N690BO.

I also have two Kizer flippers made in China with S35VN steel and they're excellent.

I have had good results with the Boker Plus Knives from China that I have purchased so far.

I wouldn't mind seeing another steel besides their 440C too.

I agree with them using more European N690 in more knives.

I don't have a problem with Boker Plus. 440C is a great EDC steel, and the fit and finish is actually very good for the one I have. Especially for the price. They do have some very interesting designs, and for what you get, you can do much worse from other companies. I believe Boker Plus line does a good job at getting custom designers into customers hands at a reasonable price with good materials. Titanium liners, G10 handles, Ti framelocks, decent 440C steel, and most for under $100. Not a bad deal IMO.

It is China, but so is Kizer, and look how much praise they are getting right now!

I have to agree here, I really like the little Rambler.
E56A95CD-4BA1-4E2C-BCC6-6A425CAEAD4F_zps58fznhl0.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Here is my Mini Vanquish and I am very happy with what I got. Blue anodized Ti linerlock with a unique design.
photo1_zpsa98b7bb9.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

The Mini Vanquish looks incredible, but it's quite uncomfortable in my opinion.

I agree. Boker Plus has been coming out with some kick ass designs lately! However it is always a hit and miss with Boker Plus.

It's kind of like flipping a coin. Half of the time you will get something well built and of decent quality and the other half you will get something that's crap. I speak from experience. Boker needs to tell their overseas factories to up the quality control by 50%.

Been on the fence about the Nano for a while. They are so cool , but the real Curtiss being made in US is so much more appealing to me just because of where its made. I know people who say the sanrenmu 710 is great quality and the sebenza is over priced. Obviously people like that just "dont get it". I think when it comes to knives, the words "made in china" just doesn't do it for me no matter how well its made.

Picked this up from a local store about 2 weeks ago. My first Boker. A minor adjustment of the pivot screw and so far she is a beauty of a $25 knife!

a6d29659c94ce51ce9b42c64ef6301c5.jpg

I can honestly say I won't be buying anymore from Boker plus I recently tried again buying the boker/rexford epicenter and the boker/burnley kwaiken.
The epicenter I received is just straight terrible horribly off center where it rubs gritty action and ridiculously strong detent (I have to dig my nail under the thumbstud and pry to open)
The kwaiken is much better flips well with good action but again it came off center.
1 thing I did like was the nice boxes that the knives came in though

I have the newer titanium scaled kwaiken flipper. Taiwan made, AUS8 and flips likes a dream. Amazing fit and finish. Better than any american knife I have bought in the last 3 years. The only exception to that is my field grade bodega but at 8 times the price it better be nicer.

I can honestly say I won't be buying anymore from Boker plus I recently tried again buying the boker/rexford epicenter and the boker/burnley kwaiken.
The epicenter I received is just straight terrible horribly off center where it rubs gritty action and ridiculously strong detent (I have to dig my nail under the thumbstud and pry to open)
The kwaiken is much better flips well with good action but again it came off center.

Have you contacted Boker about the problems you're having? They do have customer service, and it's good. Also, with the Epicenter, mine opened much easier when you pushed up on the thumbstud (like a Socom Elite) instead of out.

That's another thing I've noticed with foreign brands. People write them off as a brand much quicker. A problem will get the knife sold and the brand shunned whereas a Kershaw or Benchmade with problems will get sent back and patiently waited on to be fixed. Look at all the people who have problems with the ZT 0561. They get sent back and fixed and people still rave about them.

Did you try adjusting the pivot and screws?

I think people often forget the point of collaborations. You get a knife designed by a popular designer/maker, with good/great materials at a fraction of the price of a custom.

In my honest opinion, Boker is doing that extremely well with the Plus line. Sure the quality may slip here and there, but at that price point I'm more than willing to let it slife.

If you know of precision machined, custom collaboration knives at the price point of $100~ with high end materials, please inform me so I can give the company a blank check for their knives.

Oh wait. Boker is doing that. Time to eat crow?

Back