Your last Schrade (affiliate) knife of the year?

Codger_64

I've been avoiding buying knives this winter and have been successful so far. Until today. I bought a Camillus made Kent Sportsmans knife, made for F.W. Woolworth pre-1939.

dea0h.jpg

14b86xy.jpg

2586ly0.jpg

This is my third example of this pattern but the first to be accompanied by what I hope is the original sheath. Kent branded Camillus knives usually sell at very low prices compared to Camillus branded ones. In the case of this particular pattern, I've never seen one Camillus branded, as I have with the c. 1939 Kent Sportsman Krome Plate which was also sold as a military sheath knife early in WWII.

Tom Williams was unable to give me an introduction date or pattern number for this one. I don't recall it being copied by any other makers either, but it may well be an adaptation of the turn of the century Marbles Dall DeWeese as they are about the same size, smallish, and have relatively uncomplicared construction and grinds.

What was you last knife purchase of the year?

That is an interesting knife with interesting history. Thanks, Michael, for sharing. And speaking of thanks, since I have already shown my last Schrade of the year, I would like to leave my last Schrade post of the year, being on Mountain Standard Time. And that is to thank all of the special folks who have imparted their wisdom and their superlative photographs over the last 12 months. And a toast... Live long and prosper!

My last of the year is a Schrade Walden NY 825 SS, circa 1950.

825_ss_SWNY_f.jpg

Great user knife with a shortened master blade.

825_ss_SWNY_b.jpg

Matched peachseed handles with good color. Looks good with grooved bolsters.

825_ss_SWNY_s.jpg

Milled liners were a nice touch, for a production folder.

I really enjoy this pattern, as Calvin once coined the "Slendereeno"... a cool nickname that stuck. This one rode my pocket for the last week of 2011.

I love those liners!

The final Schrade I picked up this year was a 1975 Grand Dads Old Timer Sharpfinger. It was the last one I needed to complete the set, plus the price was right. They seem to be less common that the stockman and Barlow models.

my final one is a 165 UH which i did not have any representative example at all. be glad when it gets here.

Nice one Hal!! You know those milled liners were actually done by a woman in Walden out of her home. She did it for both Schrade-Cut and Schrade-Walden on a fixture set up in her kitchen. The knives were complete when she did the milling, which meant that if she made a mistake the knife would have to be sent back and re-hafted. Oh the pressure!

Eric

Nice one Hal!! You know those milled liners were actually done by a woman in Walden out of her home. She did it for both Schrade-Cut and Schrade-Walden on a fixture set up in her kitchen. The knives were complete when she did the milling, which meant that if she made a mistake the knife would have to be sent back and re-hafted. Oh the pressure!

Eric

Wow. I'd like to see how it was done. Sounds like it might have been a contraption. Was she still on the payroll to mill the Schrade Walden Uncle Henry knives too?

Back