Your least favorite Cold Steel knife

I love everything I have from Cold Steel, but some more than others.
I recently purchased the Cold Steel spike, Bowie style blade, and it is now officially my least favorite Cold Steel knife. I bought it online and if I had the chance to get one in hand first I probably wouldn't have got it.
My gripe is the handle, it is beyond tiny. It's long enough to get a full four finger grip on, but the diameter is about the same as your average toothbrush. For basic cutting tasks it would probably work fine, but if you ever had to stab something with it I think your hand would slide right up onto the blade as it has no guard and only a tiny little finger groove at the end.
I keep trying to find a little SD knife for a back up to my CW, and it looks like the search continues. If they doubled the size of the handle and put a bigger finger groove on it (Like a longer mini tac handle) I think I would like it a lot more.
So what is your least favorite Cold Steel product and why?

I did not like my ODA with the rubber guards. I don’t like being able to flex a guard with finger pressure, just felt cheap. A thick kraton guard like the master hunter is fine.

2nd least favorite that I can think of was the aus-8 master hunter, because it was so thick behind the edge. The master hunters with the distal taper do not have this issue.

I have bought two of the Crawford 1 folders. I like the overall design, but they have two serious design flaws:

The first is the blade centering is terrible. The pivot screw adjustment range is extremely limited.

The second is the handle grip insert is not durable and has melted. I will see if it is possible to cover it over with traction tape.

Back in the 1980s I had two Voyagers with these plastic clips that I thought were horrible. But my last Voyager from 2006 with VG1 blade had a metal clip and it was great. I also remember not being happy with the blade retraction system on the Pocket Bushman. Though I can't remember exactly when that was...lol. Otherwise I have no recollection of being dissatisfied with any Cold Steel knife fixed or folding.

Last edited:
G I Tanto. Maybe I expected more from all the drooling and hype over it. I tossed it in a tub and I don't think that I've ever used it.
Good to see you man.

Is that so? I was looking at the GI tanto as a fun, house chores utility knife. The worst it would face is probably the occasional cardboard box lol. Just waiting for my local reseller to restock. So far, I’m having fun with the Bushman Bowie.

Cold Steel Paradox

I found an aluminum handled sample, new in box, at a local knife store and I bought it just to own one -- and because I was sure there must be something about it that I was missing. Some reason for existing. Something it did well. Something cool. If such a reason exists I have yet to discover it.

I haven’t owned one of their serrated blades yet. What’s the issue? Does it get hung up on material?

Yes. The tiny serrations get hung up on material and clog up easily. If you use more force or speed they snap off. It’s just a bad design.

Sure, they cut meat on the videos, but try ripping through a few cardboard boxes. See how many tiny teeth break off or get flattened.

Yes. The tiny serrations get hung up on material and clog up easily. If you use more force or speed they snap off. It’s just a bad design.

Sure, they cut meat on the videos, but try ripping through a few cardboard boxes. See how many tiny teeth break off or get flattened.
Looks like you saved me money and frustration then, thanks. If I feel the need for serrations, I’ll look at Spyderco then.

Good to see you man.

Is that so? I was looking at the GI tanto as a fun, house chores utility knife. The worst it would face is probably the occasional cardboard box lol. Just waiting for my local reseller to restock. So far, I’m having fun with the Bushman Bowie.

You too. I just have the regular Bushman. This may sound weird but..... It has this strong funky Cosmoline ? smell on it that I like. It kind of reminds me of my Army Cadet days as a youngster.

Yeah and Lansky sells a junk sharpener for the serrations that does not work

Secret Edge. Nothing to keep your fingers from slipping onto the blade. If I want something small and sharp I would choose one of their push knives or a Mini Tac.

CS11SDT_LS1R.jpg

I guess they were designed for SD only.

Back