Your Midget Knife

jideta

Gold Member
It all started with my Swiss Army thread...what do I need in a knife?
Then I started to think, how about one of them small SAKs, you know, like I seen online?
Okay!
I already have a Super Tinker, and I had a one of them jumbo jet SAKs so a small one should be good to go!
So I got me a Midnight Manager.
I gotta say, this is one of the smallest freakin knives I've ever seen.
I take that back, more on that later.
Here it is next to my latest accumulation with a quarter for scale:

DSC_2828.jpg

It's like a knife that's trying real hard to be a real knife.
I mean it's exactly like a real knife, except it's freaking small!
It's got bottle opener and a scissors and a pen and an LED light but it's like made for really small people!
Sorry if I'm not being PC here.
I'm holding it in my hand and it's making me feel like some kind of giant or something. Like I'm in some Twilight Zone episode where all my stuff got really small or I got really big! That blade is just slightly bigger than the toothpick thingy!

IMG_1035.jpg

Way back when I bought a custom mini folder, it was about a half inch long closed. More like a novelty even though the blade was sharp. Unfortunately it was on my keys and I lost it. The thing is, it wasn't trying to pretend to be a real knife.
Can you imagine a SwissChamp in 58mm?

Okay, I'm done freakin out.

What's your smallest knife?
Impress me.

This little Electric Knife Co. whittler lives in my wallet, made somewhere between 1873-1890...it's about 2 1/2" long closed:)

screenshot_20200304-025411_gallery-2-jpg.1295933
screenshot_20200304-025354_gallery-2-jpg.1295934

My favorite small SAK is the Rambler, aka the "Why Would You Buy A Classic When This Exists?" knife. :D I also have a lot of love for the Case Peanut in yeller Delrin, which is a delightfully capable tiny knife.

I've included the Bestech Engine and Kizer Feist in the pic below, since both are also quite small overall -- though not compared to keychain SAKs. ;) Great knives, too.

weotqwR.jpg

What a gorgeous little knife! :thumbsup:

I think I've seen you post that Aquilonian Luna before, and this time I finally had to go track down what it was and buy one. :D
Yeah, I'm fully guilty of recycling pics:oops:...but it paid off this time!:D

Yeah, I'm fully guilty of recycling pics:oops:...but it paid off this time!:D

Oh gosh, I wasn't calling you out for recycling a picture! I hadn't noticed and wouldn't in any case. It was just that seeing the coin again today made me realize I'd seen it before. :thumbsup:

You want small ?
Here ya go.

Of the tiny ones the 1960's Craftsman tie clip is kept shaving sharp and has opened an occasional package.
Of the " larger " I have carried the Buck 305 lancer as an only knife for a week without needing anything more, though equally capable I have just not done so with the others yet.

I love small knives, I just don't require a full handed "solid " grip or much blade for the majority of my EDC tasks as long as it's razor sharp it's good to go.

Vic SAK Rambler lives on my keys but I have a ton of Classics all throughout the house and on many differnt extra key chains. They get used a lot. This green one lives on the island in the kitchen. Have to touch it up several times a week be cause it gets used so much.

TleBfAmh.jpg

I love small knives, I just don't require a full handed "solid " grip or much blade for the majority of my EDC tasks as long as it's razor sharp it's good to go.

Thats what I finally figured out as far as my pocket knife use. For my mostly urban/suburban life, using a knife to open all kinds of packages, cut a piece of twine now and then, some fishing line, I just don't need that much knife. The small knife I can drop in a pocket and literally forget about until I need it. Even the one time I actually had to go crawl into an upside down Datsun that was starting to catch fire, the sheep foot blade of a Buck stockman cut the seatbelt of the driver as well as any other blade. And it was well. under 2 inches.

I remember growing watching dad deal with stuff with his little Case peanut. I asked him about it one time and I'll always remember his answer. He said it was a mostly knife. The little pocket knife cut most of what he had to deal with and if it wouldn't, then it was time to get the right tool. Dad called a pocket knife something that is carried a a lot, and used once in a while. In between time, he didn't want to be bothered with it.

Little knives let me carry more of them for the same weight as just one bigger knife that won't open a package any better. The small blade of my SAK executive slips right through those damm plastic blister packages.

My two favorite smalls are the Alox minichamp and my Manbug in ZDP....and then there’s this weird little Benchmade Aller 380 I was gifted by a buddy. I love the pocket clip, and it’s a well made little friction folder, but that blade shape o_O

My two favorite smalls are the Alox minichamp and my Manbug in ZDP....and then there’s this weird little Benchmade Aller 380 I was gifted by a buddy. I love the pocket clip, and it’s a well made little friction folder, but that blade shape o_O

Lee, your mini champ is probably the worlds champion in function per ounce in knives. :thumbsup:

Back