Your mission, should you choose to accept it...

I've had a knife rolling around in my head for a long time. I'm impressed with the little cowbell knife so I'd like to throw a challenge your way. As I mentioned elsewhere, I don't need this until November.

The handle shape is what I have had a hard time finding outside the custom realm. Recently Zoe Crist,

kestrel-african-blackwood-249.95__86044.1466628204.730.500.jpg

and Arno Bernard have turned out a couple beauties with the handle shape I'm looking for.

AB-PH-Main-9423__81632.1464303552.730.500.jpg

The Bark River Highland Special kinda does it for me as well.

highland-special-a2-blaze-orange-g10-209.95__37364.1463170764.730.500.jpg

Think Mudbug/Sodbuster/Buck 110.

I really like the blade shape and size on the stacked leather knife you did.

The only requests would be blade length being between 4" and 4.5"L and 1" - 1.25" H and, if possible, 3/8"-ish Desert Ironwood slabs or something equally sexy.

Your pick the steel, pins, finish. Use your imagination.

Sound like something doable?

I'm seeing a drop point similar to the leather stack that you mentioned, tapered tang, thong tube, swedge and an OAL of 8 1/2"ish.

Give me an idea of what you do or don't like about that and we'll go from there, and what you think about bolsters.

I liked the mystery that surrounded the stacked leather project. I'm good with everything you mentioned.

As for bolsters, they've never been a make or break for me. If that is your style :thumbup:.

Seems to me I read that you're taller than the average bear. Can you loosely grip a ruler and give me the measurement across the knuckles? Like where a ring would sit. The examples you have and what's floating in my head has that bit of dip at the end of the handle and that would be miserable in the wrong spot.

Going with a drop point, do you want more "belly" up front (think mudbug/sodbuster), or more "point" (the Zoe Crist example). Just wondering which way you would lean towards so I can put the voices in my head to work.

I can send you some sketches when the time comes, or we can do a WIP and leave it a mystery like you mentioned. Should be a fun project either way.

That's funny Chris, I was just looking at that thread.

Whatever you want my friend, they both look like nice pieces, and plenty big. The cocobolo has some figure which is always nice, on the other hand you can never beat ironwood.

Maybe take a look at some of your example pics and see if you can picture one more than the other.

Them pull some hair out and do a coin toss!

Just my .02...but that cocobolo looks sweet! That piece has a lot of nice color and figure.

Thanks guys. The fiery color is more what I'm looking for. I think I've made up my mind but I'm going to sleep on it one more night:p. Ben returned my email and I'll be ordering in the AM.

If it's alright with you, John, I'm going to have them cut into slabs and sent directly to you.

Sounds good Chris, you let me know if you need my address again, or I'll contact Ben if you don't mind.

Good find, can't go wrong with either of those:thumbup:

Cocobolo is a beautiful wood but be careful with it, there are two types of people that work with it. One's are allergic and ones who will be allergic. I love it but cant stand to be around it anymore. I am working on laminating some Bocote up and going to cross cut it so it will be really wild looking. I'll post some pic's if I can get it done this weekend.

That's good to know Scott, if we go that route I'll take as many precautions as I can. Thanks for the heads up:thumbup:

That bocote laminate sounds awesome, theres something about the grain in bocote that I really like, reminds me of an old topo map or something, looking forward to seeing what you come up with.

Now that I have started this, I'm reminded of a excerpt from one of my favorite books.

The rich man visited the Master of arts with a commission.* “I want a painting of a fish.”

“What kind of fish?” the Master asked.

“The ultimate fish.* The fish that represents all other fish.* Only an artist of your genius can do this.* I need your masterpiece.” The Master nodded; a price was agreed upon and the Master said he would notify the rich man when the painting was done.* The rich man returned home and waited.* Days became weeks and became months and became years. Finally, angered, the rich man returned to the Master’s studio and demanded, “Where is my painting?”

“Which painting is that?”

“My fish.* My perfect quintessential fish.”

“Oh, yes,” the Master said.* He took a canvas and a brush which he dipped in paint.* In just seconds, he drew three lines on the canvas and there was the rich man’s fish* --as brilliant in conception as the rich man could ever have wished.*

He clutched the painting to his bosom as the treasure it was, then fell to his knees in gratitude, and said:* “Master, forgive me for doubting you.* But it took you only seconds to paint my magnificent fish…only seconds.* Why did I have to wait years for you to perform this work of genius?”

The Master of art smiled and nodded and walked to a closet on the far side of the studio.* He opened the closet door and out fell hundreds of paintings of fish.

:D

Confucius say- Knife from John like molasses pouring in darkness, it will hit shoes eventually.:D

Sounds like the Cocobolo is on the way (or it's sitting at the post office, I don't get mail delivery). I'll check it Monday.

Anxious to see it, looks like a great piece. When I get the skinna skinna wrapped up I'll start this. After picking Chris's brain to pieces in PM's, and killing a few trees of graph paper I've got a rough sketch of what we're gonna be doing.

I'll start by cutting a profile out of some hardboard and clay up a handle to make sure my hand likes it as much as my eyes.

If it's good with you Chris, I'll try to post pics as we go.

Got the Cocobolo in the mail today from Greenberg Woods. Really nice looking pieces.

That's some nice looking Cocobolo.

It's really vibrant in person, I think it's gonna work out nicely.

:eek:

Just had a very long day at work. I finally have a minute to reply and all I can think is - :eek:.

:D

Probably silly but, the fiery colors that reminded me of glowing embers in a bed of coals, under the dark grain is what drew me away from the ironwood I was finding. I think I'm going to be happy :cool:.

Back