Your most difficult knife to learn how to open

...The thumb studs on the Benchmade 940 are set so close to the scale that it wasn't until I tried flicking it with my thumbnail (like a marble) that I got that one down...

An easy way to open or close the BM940 is to pull back on the axis lock and flick your wrist.

The DPX HEST, the Boker Urban Trapper, and the Protech Magic have all given me trouble......And the Protech is an auto lol!

Are all MT double action OTFs like that? I had an Ultratech that was really tough to open, I assumed there was something wrong with it.
I assume because the size that the spring has to be extra strong. Opening is fine and easy, but closing that sucker is not as fun as it should be for a $200+ dollar knife.

ZT 0850. Flicking it out when I first got it was impossible, but I have since (pretty much) mastered it. I still find a bit weird opening it with constant controlled thumb pressure, as I have to shift my hand around a little throughout the opening procedure.

ZT 0850. Flicking it out when I first got it was impossible, but I have since (pretty much) mastered it. I still find a bit weird opening it with constant controlled thumb pressure, as I have to shift my hand around a little throughout the opening procedure.

Mine is so smooth that it's really easy to middle finger flick it open, or wrist flick it open. Even with the pivot tightened until there is no noticeable play it still falls shut. It's the smoothest knife on washers I own . . .

I much prefer flippers for this reason.

Both my copper mini natrix and ZT 0450 flip great for me, on both hands.

Probably because I have smallish/medium (smaldium?) hands.

& also cool + handsum.

+1 on the Protech Ciabatta nearly cut my finger off as it opened in my pocket sold it ASAP
It was really ironic. The Ciabatta was technically AO, assisted opening, and was intended to provide a ProTech to be carried where autos were not allowed. It ended up being way more dangerous than any auto!

Mine is so smooth that it's really easy to middle finger flick it open, or wrist flick it open. Even with the pivot tightened until there is no noticeable play it still falls shut. It's the smoothest knife on washers I own . . .
Mine's no smoother than any of my Spyderco's or Benchmade's on washers. I read many reports it's equal to or smoother than knives on bearings, but that hasn't been my experience. Don't get me wrong. It's smooth, but I wouldn't say it's that smooth.

It is, however, idiot-proof when it comes to adjusting it without blade play. I can adjust it with both hands behind my back & the Torx driver on another planet & get it to fall shut without any blade play. First time. Every time.

I'm now several weeks into owning a Shirogorov Neon Zero and while I'm much improved, easily flipping the knife open 50 times in a row, I still occasionally pick up the knife and jam my forefinger as if the blade was cemented with super-glue.

What other knifes need just that right grip and deployment angle or the experience ends in tears?

That normally happens when someone puts pressure on the lock bar. It's easy to do on frame lock knives. Liner lock knives don't have that issue since you can't put pressure on it when deploying.

The main knives that take me a little to work out the correct way to open is front flippers. I sold off a Pena x-series Barlow and I expect it was user error. Then I tried a different model and it was no problem. It took me a little while to flip open thumb stud knives and now it's hard for me to slow roll one open. Spyderco's took a little time to learn but not an issue now. I never had an issue with normal flippers.

Good luck and watch were you put your fingers on the lock side....

A cheap all black flipper that cost me £12, it had no detent so obviously the flipper didn't work, when you pushed the flipper tab a tiny portion of the blade would poke out, then you had to give it a hefty wrist flick to finally engage the liner lock.
It's a wonderful ... object. I ground the tip and cutting edge off so it's completely rounded and gave it to my 4 year old son as a toy.

Back