Your Most Regretable Knife Purchase

Anyone think me pulling the trigger on a seal pup will be regrettable? I have alot of high end stuff but I always wanted to try a seal pup.

Nuts?
Get one man ! I just got two of them and they are an awesome knife. Don't let the "tacti-cool" look fool ya. Once you hold it and use it , you'll see it is a really good knife.I needed a couple of stainless units and the price was good.Extremely strong for a stainless blade and super sharp out of the box. I got the kydex and the nylon sheaths. Both are well built , just pick what you like. The short Kabar sheaths fit it perfect also if you like leather.

As to what Knife I regretted buying... An Ontario Pilot's survival knife with Kraton handle. Just didn't work for me. The handle was too soft , blade grind too thick , nylon sheath sucked ,price was too much. Sold it for what I paid for it . I have the Leather handled one I got later that I modded with flatening the sawback and giving it a convex and removing the top guard. It is now a half-decent survival knife. Other knives I don't like are Moras and Swiss Army/ Victorinox/ Wenger stuff. Sold them all. Good knives for kids starting out though, just not my cuppa tea. :barf:

:)

Get one man ! I just got two of them and they are an awesome knife. Don't let the "tacti-cool" look fool ya. Once you hold it and use it , you'll see it is a really good knife.I needed a couple of stainless units and the price was good.Extremely strong for a stainless blade and super sharp out of the box. I got the kydex and the nylon sheaths. Both are well built , just pick what you like. The short Kabar sheaths fit it perfect also if you like leather.

As to what Knife I regretted buying... An Ontario Pilot's survival knife with Kraton handle. Just didn't work for me. The handle was too soft , blade grind too thick , nylon sheath sucked ,price was too much. Sold it for what I paid for it . I have the Leather handled one I got later that I modded with flatening the sawback and giving it a convex and removing the top guard. It is now a half-decent survival knife. Other knives I don't like are Moras and Swiss Army/ Victorinox/ Wenger stuff. Sold them all. Good knives for kids starting out though, just not my cuppa tea. :barf:

:)

Thanks man, after that review I'm takin' a little trip tomorrow :thumbup:

I used a seal pup for my dive knife while I was in puerto rico. It spent ALOT of time in saltwater. It still looks and functions great. Ironically, the only thing to break was the kydex. After dozens of swims and repeated exposure to the sun, the kydex sheath just literally broke in half one day. The knife is still in good condition but I never got around to getting a replacement sheath for it.

Not a bad knife at all.

my most regrettable knife purchase(s) were a couple of assisted "stillettos" I got off of ebay. They were "superknife" brand. The first one, the lock loosened up too much (Liner lock; the "axle" bent out of shape), the second wouldn't hold an edge for anything (would lose its edge by making a small cut in a piece of paper), and the edge it would take was half worthless.

The first knife after these I bought, was my first quality knife; my SS byrd cara cara.

Last edited:
I won't flame you Expat. Busse's are way over-hyped imo.

That's flat out blade heresy. Busse's are Gnarly. Just depends which ones fit the bill for you. I've got some I'll never use, but I never received one with which I was "disappointed."

I bought a Kershaw "boot knife" recently that I was less than thrilled with (I think it's going to be my 1000 post giveaway, someone else will surely like it).
That and a Gerber LMF II were the two purchases that I've been least impressed with.

ESEE bit: I'm still carrying that dang orange-green RC-4 around almost everywhere. I love that tough little slab of steel. Simple and elegant (and I can afford to beat the crap out of it, something I might be uncomfortable doing with some of the more expensive knives that I may own). :rolleyes:

pete

Last edited:
I have a number of knives that are not very practical: (someone mentioned a Gerber Guardian) I have a MK 1, Protech Godfather, Microtech Makora?, SOG Desert Dagger (the old version), Benchmade Titanium Balisong. I like them all for their quality, craftsmanship, and or design and will keep them forever (got the Gerber in 87).
My BIGGEST regret was a SOG Recon that I bought on impulse at a mall then took into the water. The next morning it was completely COVERED in rust, like it was left on the bottom for months. I guess this is more my biggest mistake in impulse buying and then use...

T

Coogler 3 finger knife. I forget the name of it. It was such a cool looking knife but just didn't fit my hands. I wish the handle would have been longer or my hands smaller. :D

Never had a bad Busse or sister co. knife. I just regret I can't get'em and use'em all. :D

Last edited:
one of those crappy gerber framelocks. actually I bought a benchmade apparition that is pretty crappy as well. well, a well made piece of crap if you will, the blade rubs the liner, the assist bar hits the blade causing a dull spot, the G10 is slippery, the thumb stud is one sided, oh yeah, other than that, I love it:barf:

My most regretable knife purchase would be this pos smith and wesson neck knife. The handle is plastic and every time iv used it i feel like im going to break it. For 10 more dollars i could have gotton myself a izula, but sadly i didnt know of esee at the time and i dont think they were around anyways.

Gerber LMF II ASEK

Did not like that knife or sheath at all.

Sold it for a big loss with a smile on my face.

Tops Tracker was mine. It is the worst knife I ever owned even after I reprofiled the edge. I didn't do anything well. It sucked at doing everything cept maybe a boat anchor. I wasted my money. Never again.

@ Brennanscott, I have a seal pup that is sitting in my closet, in two pieces. It was one of the ones that they made in japan, but it wasn't the knives fault, some knives can't take prying IED components out of the afghan soil.

Most regretted would be the Crkt scarab, my wife thought is was sooooooo cool, it sat for months before she finally told me she didn't like it, ugly pos

For me it was a CRKT Russ Kommer Full Throttle. Assisted opening opens too easily. One time I put my had into my pocket to find the knife 1/3 opened. That ain't good for a folder. After that I started plans to give it away with a warning included.

I was young and foolish, so I bought a Frost Cutlery (there's a red flag right there) survival knife for $20. This was before I knew anything about the worth of an actual knife tang and the how crappy China 440 stainless is. That thing was a definite POS! In later years I realized this and decided I would snap it into two pieces. So I grabbed it and broke it. The damn thing was just welded to the handle. Now I have 2 Pieces of Shit. hahaha I hope nobody ever buys from Frost Cutlery again.

LMAO, HAHA:D

My purchase would be bying my first Strider and thinking I was gonna carry it as an EDC. Damn thing plauged me with worry about losing it.:rolleyes:
As for another bad purchase it would be a Gerber.Not much else to say...

Kershaw-Red.gif

This made in china pos is the worst knife I ever bought. The biner unscrews, the screwdrivers are too short for most applications and the bottle opener is too thin to work well.

Cold Steel medium tanto 1/2 serrated Voyager. The construction and blade is fine, I just bought it on a whim for a beater EDC knife, but only carried it once. It's too damn small to operate. The clip was annoying as it came, so I modified it a bit and it carries well in my pocket, but like I said it's too small to get out and put away quickly.

I bought a Buck Vantage around the same time and have been carrying that ever since while that Voyager has been sitting on my shelf.

Just thought of another one. A CRKT M-16 Tanto. It was my first try at a tanto. I lived with that blade shape for a couple of months. By FAR, the worst blade grind ever. Maybe it's good on swords, I dunno. For knives I think it's totally useless , even if I had to use it to stab something. I'd rather use a bowie clip. Anyhow, I usually never stab anything. That CRKT went to the grinder for an hour and I made a spear point out of it. I'm a big fan of Aus8 from certain companies, but that Aus-6 they use is pretty low quality stuff.
Anyone else tried a tanto and didn't like it ??

Thing is I made money on almost all of my major knife purchases. So I really don't have a worst purchase.

I think my worst purchase was a swamprat waki, it doesn't chop for crap, even after i resharpened it compared to a 20 dollar machete, it came dull and it's impractical for anything else I would really use it for, so it sits.
Next would definitely be the Tom brown tracker, doesn't chop doesn't cut doesn't stab but it definitely sucks. It was alot better after reprofiling but still not a good knife.
Last would be a rat-3 in D2 don't really like d2, it's a pain to sharpen and then the fit and finish sucked.
This one is on behalf of my little brother, the RTAK-II, I tried to talk him into the junglas but he went for price and it lasted about 2-3 months before he snapped the blade in half chopping wood, now he's planning on a junglas especially after handling mine.

Back