Your newest addition:traditionals of course!

I needed a little more bling in my collection :D
I’m really liking these 38 specials :thumbsup:
qfYU58u.jpg
k54hk0I.jpg

I'm not sure why I bought this thing. o_O I had gone to the local knife shop to check out the Rough Riders, but didn't see anything that I "needed". :p Then I spotted this Imperial Schrade mini trapper. It's just a very inexpensive (i.e., "cheap") import but I thought it was quite attractive and appears to be solidly built with everything fitting up well. The covers are acrylic and the pins are brass but everything else, including the bolsters, is stainless steel. The blades are centered, it has good snap and half stops, and a pull of about six or seven I would estimate. I like the shape of both blades; sort of a CA/Turkish clip and a spey with a slight bit of belly. The spey is hollow ground. It came pretty sharp and after a short time I had it shaving leg hair. I think this confirms my impression that (for me, YMMV) trappers are too large and mini trappers are just about right. :D The worst thing about it is the blade steel, which is 3Cr13MoV. The edge didn't roll the first time I whittled some maple with it, and it would still cut phone book paper, so it can't be that bad, I guess. :eek:

I don't know what I'm going to do with it; maybe put it next to my chair so I don't have to dig into my pocket when I'm sitting and need to cut something. :cool:

25024591888_08a4dccf11_b.jpg

38865730772_12f95cab2c_b.jpg

Last edited:
143Am2DS3-AOmq1hRNhmfNsEeRK-SyJrP=w1280-h689-iv1

Just got this Boker Tree Brand 493 in a nice red jig pattern. I haven't seen this knife except in the sawcut handle, and I'm impressed with the fit and finish (though the blade edges didn't have the best profile or sharpness).

Well after a week of being my sole carry, (I usually carry a larger locking folder and a slipjoint of some kind) the mini copperlock performed admirably. No big complaints, the blade moves up and down a little during harder use, (It actually pushes the lockbar up and backwards a touch) but not enough to make one worry. I used it a lot and for many different tasks. The hotel we stayed at had the knives tucked away in a spot we didn't notice for the first 2 days, lol! It has a nice patina now and will need a good sharpening but still has a usable edge. I don't think it will jump into any regular carry rotation but it will definitely work its way into my pocket now and again.

So just thought I’d give an update, I actually end up throwing it in my pocket about once a week! Typically I prefer a slipjoint but this thing has grown on me. Partially because it now has some memories attached to it, and partly because it’s just a good knife. Good enough to prompt my second Case knife purchase. I’m waiting for the wharncliffe copperlock to arrive now, should make it before Xmas.

So just thought I’d give an update, I actually end up throwing it in my pocket about once a week! Typically I prefer a slipjoint but this thing has grown on me. Partially because it now has some memories attached to it, and partly because it’s just a good knife. Good enough to prompt my second Case knife purchase. I’m waiting for the wharncliffe copperlock to arrive now, should make it before Xmas.

I think you'll really like the wharncliffe copperlock. Heck of a slicer and all of mine have been very solid. I feel it's one of the few modern Case offerings that I wouldn't hesitate to recommend to a friend looking for a quality lockback edc in either wharncliffe or clip blade. I personally prefer the full size copperlock, but can see how the mini would be more suitable for carry in a variety of situations.

What makes the best knife? Is it your favorite pattern ever? The best fit/finish ever? The greatest collector? The best quality? Collector vs user? Who can say. This knife is none of those for me, but it might be the best combination of all of those things that I have ever owned. I absolutely love it.

IMG_20171208_224141 by Justin Lyttle, on Flickr
IMG_20171208_224302 by Justin Lyttle, on Flickr
IMG_20171208_224239 by Justin Lyttle, on Flickr
IMG_20171208_224203 by Justin Lyttle, on Flickr

What makes the best knife? Is it your favorite pattern ever? The best fit/finish ever? The greatest collector? The best quality? Collector vs user? Who can say. This knife is none of those for me, but it might be the best combination of all of those things that I have ever owned. I absolutely love it.

That is really nice, Justin! I can see why you like it so much.

Well I'm hooked after my first John Lloyd stag knife. So, here's a Lanny's Clip in Richlite that's about 3 3/4".
View attachment 810994

That Richlite just glows ! Another beauty for sure.

What not to love. It stamps my ticket too

Back