Your newest addition:traditionals of course!

Northwoods Fremont
Dave that is a gorgeous Freemont.

Several firsts for me. My first Sowbelly, an amazing 3 blade Cripple Creek/Green River Rendezvous with some of the best jigging I have ever beheld. My first Elk covers, a GEC 68 White Owl in stainless with a clip main. Finally, my first GEC prototype and GEC Pearl, a stunning 1 of 2 Clip Point #25 with Genuine Mother of Pearl.
Wow what a group of gems. They are all incredible but that fantastic Cargill sow does it for me.

These three Northfields and two NIB Black Box Winchester’s more photos to come later.
Goodness Ron what a haul! Awesome knives. Love the BB's.

EGSBcnY.jpg

Just arrived today via the exchange. Thank you to @so.fulton! Seller’s photo since it was a bit too grey today for proper light.
Very nice Spaten, maybe the best forum knife ever? What stag:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::cool:

Corn Fed Corn Fed Very nice example to come by! A wonderful pattern in all types, I like the Tidioute Green Bone and Northfield Chen Chen Whittlers I'm fortunate to own. Hope you really enjoy your new find:thumbsup:

Regards, Will

These three Northfields and two NIB Black Box Winchester’s more photos to come later. :) Forgive the hotel room photos. There’s some oil and residue because I forgot to bring a cloth. ;)

44789152145_fcb52c0aa6_b_d.jpg

31831404698_577d386d77_b_d.jpg
These three Northfields and two NIB Black Box Winchester’s more photos to come later. :) Forgive the hotel room photos. There’s some oil and residue because I forgot to bring a cloth. ;)

44789152145_fcb52c0aa6_b_d.jpg

31831404698_577d386d77_b_d.jpg

Was after one of those BBs with Wharncliffe myself on thing called something Bay the other day... great knife and a yawning chasm in my collection. If that was you Ron who bagged it, well I
tell you what my friend, I'll turn a blind eye when you accept one of my shoddy Steel Warrior knives in exchange for it..:D I've even got a spectacularly crap Wright's knife should you prefer;)

Joking apart, a fine selection of new knives you've landed there, grand stuff :cool::thumbsup:

You mean crocus as in mark-side-of-the-main-blade-mirror-polished-the-rest-satin-finished crocus or everything mirror polished? The former would be very interesting.

I have a Canal Street Moonpie Trapper, single blade in fancy stainless that has Polished Mark Side and matte/glaze on the pile side. This was a strategy of theirs but historically, it is a cost saving feature. Mirror polishing to Crocus level using oxides/Crocus of Iron, was skilled work, time consuming and likely a lost art. So merely polishing one side was actually a dodge. True Crocus should be on both sides of the blade, many GEC knives have a good mirror finish, older Queen show even better in my experience. Walrus hides used to be used on polishing wheels for glaze and crocus, they are no longer available for obvious reasons.

I'm aiming at BSS Both Sides Shiny :D

Corn Fed Corn Fed Very nice example to come by! A wonderful pattern in all types, I like the Tidioute Green Bone and Northfield Chen Chen Whittlers I'm fortunate to own. Hope you really enjoy your new find:thumbsup:

Regards, Will

Thanks Will Power. I appreciate it. I will definitely enjoy this one.

I have a Canal Street Moonpie Trapper, single blade in fancy stainless that has Polished Mark Side and matte/glaze on the pile side. This was a strategy of theirs but historically, it is a cost saving feature. Mirror polishing to Crocus level using oxides/Crocus of Iron, was skilled work, time consuming and likely a lost art. So merely polishing one side was actually a dodge. True Crocus should be on both sides of the blade, many GEC knives have a good mirror finish, older Queen show even better in my experience. Walrus hides used to be used on polishing wheels for glaze and crocus, they are no longer available for obvious reasons.

I'm aiming at BSS Both Sides Shiny :D

I don't like it when there're lines left from the grinding right at the tang (?, the thick part at the base of the blade where the kick and tang stamps are). I seem to preffer it glaze polished but I find it appealing when just the mark side of the main blade is polished, even if it's historically a cost cutting feature. Haven't got any examples of that though. I have a Schrade 881 stockman where someone decided to polish the front sides of all 3 blades. A shame really as the original glaze finish on the blades is very nice. But since it's a user (like all my knives), it gets patina anyway and then I don't care much about it.

May I ask what you use for polishing the blades? Our American members talk a lot about Flitz and the like, but I doubt you can that over here. What would some alternatives be?

No Flitz up here either...A German paste in a toothpaste type tube called AUTOSOL. Dursol Fabrik, Solingen. I find it excellent. But I've had it for years so not sure if it's still made....;):D

Was after one of those BBs with Wharncliffe myself on thing called something Bay the other day... great knife and a yawning chasm in my collection. If that was you Ron who bagged it, well I
tell you what my friend, I'll turn a blind eye when you accept one of my shoddy Steel Warrior knives in exchange for it..:D I've even got a spectacularly crap Wright's knife should you prefer;)

Joking apart, a fine selection of new knives you've landed there, grand stuff :cool::thumbsup:
Thanks for the compliment Will! I am like you sir, in the fact that I appreciate the quality and value of the Queen produced Black Box Winchester’s! I must confess that it was not me, my friend, that took your Wharncliffe sailing on the Bay. I actually acquired all of the pictured knives at the Spirit of Steel Knife Show in Pigeon Forge Tennessee on Saturday. The gentleman I purchased my BB’s from had a great assortment to choose from. He did not however have a Pen model which I would have gladly snagged as a backup. I will not mention the ridiculously reasonable price that I paid for these. :)

I don't like it when there're lines left from the grinding right at the tang (?, the thick part at the base of the blade where the kick and tang stamps are). I seem to preffer it glaze polished but I find it appealing when just the mark side of the main blade is polished, even if it's historically a cost cutting feature. Haven't got any examples of that though. I have a Schrade 881 stockman where someone decided to polish the front sides of all 3 blades. A shame really as the original glaze finish on the blades is very nice. But since it's a user (like all my knives), it gets patina anyway and then I don't care much about it.

May I ask what you use for polishing the blades? Our American members talk a lot about Flitz and the like, but I doubt you can that over here. What would some alternatives be?

No Flitz up here either...A German paste in a toothpaste type tube called AUTOSOL. Dursol Fabrik, Solingen. I find it excellent. But I've had it for years so not sure if it's still made....;):D

Autosol is still for sale, I bought some not long ago. An other alternative is Puma polishing paste. :thumbsup:

Back