Your newest addition:traditionals of course!

Arrived today, a Schrade Walden 295K, their 3" peanut from the 1950s.

H0H9CrX.jpg

That is a good pick Jeff. They made a couple of peanut esque patterns. The 272 frame survived to the end of schrade with its variants. The 295 frame did not transition to swinden as far as I know.

IMG_4078.jpg

I usually buy myself something extravagant on my birthday ... something I would not otherwise buy ... because, well, there comes a point in life where you just don't know exactly how many birthdays you have left!!!! Far too many of my friends from HS, college and the military are already gone. This year, it was this seahorse. Looking at the tang stamps, it started out in life as a 2004 model covered with some type of jigged bone (or synthetic). It was recently customized by Joshua Kidd (Wild Horse Knives) with black onyx, Mammoth ivory, and Mammoth tooth covers and decorative bolsters, blade springs and blade spines. Most definitely overpriced for "a 2004 Seahorse" ... however, considering the man hours, materials, and craftsmanship .... most definitely worth it (at least to me!) in its present state. While probably not everyone's cup of tea, it certainly put a smile on my face.

2OpHvBU.jpg

Last edited:
I usually buy myself something extravagant on my birthday ... something I would not otherwise buy ... because, well, there comes a point in life where you just don't know exactly how many birthday's you have left!!!! Far too many of my friends from HS, college and the military are already gone. This year, it was this seahorse. Looking at the tang stamps, it started out in life as a 2004 model covered with some type of jigged bone (or synthetic). It was recently customized by Joshua Kidd (Wild Horse Knives) with black onyx, Mammoth ivory, and Mammoth tooth covers and decorative bolsters, blade springs and blade spines. Most definitely overpriced for "a 2004 Seahorse" ... however, considering the man hours, materials, and craftsmanship .... most definitely worth it (at least to me!) in its present state. While probably not everyone's cup of tea, it certainly put a smile on my face.

2OpHvBU.jpg
Absolutely stunning! The Mammoth is almost a prefect match on each side. Lots of detail on that knife. Congratulations on a very nice knife and Happy Birthday!

I usually buy myself something extravagant on my birthday ... something I would not otherwise buy ... because, well, there comes a point in life where you just don't know exactly how many birthdays you have left!!!! Far too many of my friends from HS, college and the military are already gone. This year, it was this seahorse. Looking at the tang stamps, it started out in life as a 2004 model covered with some type of jigged bone (or synthetic). It was recently customized by Joshua Kidd (Wild Horse Knives) with black onyx, Mammoth ivory, and Mammoth tooth covers and decorative bolsters, blade springs and blade spines. Most definitely overpriced for "a 2004 Seahorse" ... however, considering the man hours, materials, and craftsmanship .... most definitely worth it (at least to me!) in its present state. While probably not everyone's cup of tea, it certainly put a smile on my face.

2OpHvBU.jpg
That's really something you don't see everyday! Great job :thumbsup:

2OpHvBU.jpg
The more this knife is scrutinized the more it is appreciated. There is a lot going on. A remarkable thing of great beauty and exquisite attention to detail. Thanks for sharing it.

Absolutely stunning! The Mammoth is almost a prefect match on each side. Lots of detail on that knife. Congratulations on a very nice knife and Happy Birthday!

That's really something you don't see everyday! Great job :thumbsup:

The more this knife is scrutinized the more it is appreciated. There is a lot going on. A remarkable thing of great beauty and exquisite attention to detail. Thanks for sharing it.

Thanks guys. I love everything about this one ... especially because I love onyx, the Mammoth tooth is so well matched, and everything just seems to go together so well. While hard to see in my pics (because I am terrible at photographing edges), first thing I did was to give each of the blades a mirror polished ... scalpel sharp edge. The polished edges really stand, when contrasted against the handle material.

I had some luck finding a new case in an old mall, a mall that tends more to retro than antique, with a littlle bit of craftiness, but not enough to put me off.
Case xx trapper ($8), Camillus cattle knife (?)($6), Sabre Japan Barlow ($5).
8xguUZp.jpg
I filed down the kick on the Camillus main so the point is just barely covered when closed.

Yard sale fresh today ! Camillus 1969 Military Utility knife.... Stainless Steel.
Main blade, flat head screwdriver / bottle opener (with assist knob) , labelled
"can opener", leather punch , hinged bail. All functional, a slight side wobble
of main blade. I thought it was in good enough trim that I paid $20.00. Seemed
fair. I've wanted a Vietnam Era Milt. knife for a while... but most I've found have
damaged bits. Nice sample of 50 year old U.S. Militaria. :thumbsup:

Charles
https://imgur.com/a/qb62iw0

Yard sale fresh today ! Camillus 1969 Military Utility knife.... Stainless Steel.
Main blade, flat head screwdriver / bottle opener (with assist knob) , labelled
"can opener", leather punch , hinged bail. All functional, a slight side wobble
of main blade. I thought it was in good enough trim that I paid $20.00. Seemed
fair. I've wanted a Vietnam Era Milt. knife for a while... but most I've found have
damaged bits. Nice sample of 50 year old U.S. Militaria. :thumbsup:

Charles
https://imgur.com/a/qb62iw0

Nice pickup:thumbsup::thumbsup:

p8avvuy.jpg
3fU9pr7.jpg
axTnQVJ.jpg

Stopped by an antique mall on the way home, found this Queen hawkbill in ebony with a big homemade bail. Edge has been on a rough grinder, but I cleaned that up. It got screaming sharp. Still a bit of side to side play to fix, but not a deal breaker. '32-'55 tang stamp?
9w1SRVn.jpg
Vgbc5aT.jpg
R8dXvHx.jpg
0CkMVyF.jpg
zToE6iF.jpg

Also got this Parker sowbelly. Figure for my first sowbelly I went for the whole hog lol. Its 4-1/8 closed with 5 blades, its a whopper. Seems pretty well made, pretty good walk'n'talk, no play, pretty good fit'n'finish to.
Only bad is somebody bent and broke a tiny bit from the tip of the sheepsfoot. I was able to spend a few minutes with a diamond stone and fixed it.

Back