Your newest addition:traditionals of course!

Y'alla re killing me with that Barlow r8shell r8shell . Maybe I've never had a thing for Barlows because they've never done it right till now ha ha. That one is just gorgeous. Very nice 5K Qs 5K Qs , saw one yesterday but it was in too bade a shape. Kim and I decided to drive a couple towns over yesterday to check out some junk etc. dealers there. One of the places we frequent here had just opened a 2nd shop about halfway to where we were headed. Stopped in to say hi and he told us about a sale going on a couple towns over from where we were headed. Never made it to our original destination ha ha ha, but...

20190810_195713 by Chris Thayer, on Flickr

Left to right, from the top: 1) 1998 Case #18 3-blade med Stockman 2) 1976 Case #25 1/2 small Coke bottle 3)Utica Kutmaster 4) Case Serpentine Equal End Jack. Haven't figured out pattern no. yet, but tang stamp puts it between 1940-1964. Clip and pen open on same end 5) John Primble Stockman. I can't wait to clean this up 6) Schrade, Walden NY tang stamp. Small Stockman. Neat knife, but the point of the clip is bent like Aladdin's shoe! Open to suggestions if anyone know how to fix. 7) Camillus #66. The scales are a white celluloid or something? Has thin little stripes in it, seersucker suit-like. 8) Buck 305 9) Kim th ePatron Saint of Lost Causes I don't know Imperial maybe? She had to have it. Bolster is missing on pile side. Pattern is weird, the main sits behind the pen and my big fingers can't get the nail nick 10) Gerber Silver Knight. Some need more TLC than others, did a couple last night. Who am I kidding, and early this morning too! :) Fun day.
Nice haul! I hardly ever see Primbles around here, I'll bet that'll clean up nicely. The Buck 305 looks like a pre-1986 Camillus made one. Very cool. :cool::thumbsup:

Y'alla re killing me with that Barlow r8shell r8shell . Maybe I've never had a thing for Barlows because they've never done it right till now ha ha. That one is just gorgeous. Very nice 5K Qs 5K Qs , saw one yesterday but it was in too bade a shape. Kim and I decided to drive a couple towns over yesterday to check out some junk etc. dealers there. One of the places we frequent here had just opened a 2nd shop about halfway to where we were headed. Stopped in to say hi and he told us about a sale going on a couple towns over from where we were headed. Never made it to our original destination ha ha ha, but...

20190810_195713 by Chris Thayer, on Flickr

Left to right, from the top: 1) 1998 Case #18 3-blade med Stockman 2) 1976 Case #25 1/2 small Coke bottle 3)Utica Kutmaster 4) Case Serpentine Equal End Jack. Haven't figured out pattern no. yet, but tang stamp puts it between 1940-1964. Clip and pen open on same end 5) John Primble Stockman. I can't wait to clean this up 6) Schrade, Walden NY tang stamp. Small Stockman. Neat knife, but the point of the clip is bent like Aladdin's shoe! Open to suggestions if anyone know how to fix. 7) Camillus #66. The scales are a white celluloid or something? Has thin little stripes in it, seersucker suit-like. 8) Buck 305 9) Kim th ePatron Saint of Lost Causes I don't know Imperial maybe? She had to have it. Bolster is missing on pile side. Pattern is weird, the main sits behind the pen and my big fingers can't get the nail nick 10) Gerber Silver Knight. Some need more TLC than others, did a couple last night. Who am I kidding, and early this morning too! :) Fun day.
Big-time congrats!! :eek::thumbsup::thumbsup::cool: Finding all of those on the same day is like a dream come true!! ;) I hope you can clean 'em all up and get 'em functional. (Sounds like the striped white covers on the Camillus might be "French Ivory".)

- GT

Thanks for the info r8shell r8shell and 5K Qs 5K Qs . The Buck has the tiniest little sheepsfoot blade I've ever seen. The scary thing is, there are more knives there worth having, just didn't think I could get them down yet to where I wanted to be price wise. Starting today everything in the place is 20% off, then add another 10% each day up to 90% next Sunday. Going to try and sneak back out there Wednesday.

AQpRtWv.jpg

Yesterday I stopped in a sportsman's shop and they had these Winchester branded knives. Made in China, but caution, has "trademark USA" on the mark side
O1W8y9J.jpg

It is however clearly marked and stamped on the pile with China. Overall very good fit on these, no gaps or play,centered blades. Inside of springs polished, tangs smooth and polished with half stops. In comparison to the Camillus made Remington its slightly bigger in every dimension
4jVD8ZF.jpg

Note how much wider the bolster is, the rest of the handle follows suit. The covers was mostly solid black in the middle, I scraped and sanded the tops of the ridges to give it a bit more natural look. Overall I am really pleased, even though it is a Chinese made product, it is in the same vein as Rough Rider IMHO. Best part it was only 14 bucks,and the store was having a 20% store wide sale;):thumbsup:

Received my Schatt and Morgan Heritage series jack... It is everything I hoped a SM would be. Ebony scales, spearpoint main with a pen secondary. Very nicely made, with centered blades, and fairly easy pulls.. don't know how to rate the pulls, but I'd guess they are in the range of 5 or so. Interesting little pinhole on the pile side, which, to me, adds character. I'm thinking this one will garner significant pocket time.
Apologies for the "glare-y" pics, but you get the idea...

SM%20mark%20side_zpsyidtmy49.jpg
SM%20pile_zpsiypco7fo.jpg

SM%20opens_zpspcssroaz.jpg
SM%20blades_zpszhlz9tvr.jpg

Received my Schatt and Morgan Heritage series jack... It is everything I hoped a SM would be. Ebony scales, spearpoint main with a pen secondary. Very nicely made, with centered blades, and fairly easy pulls.. don't know how to rate the pulls, but I'd guess they are in the range of 5 or so. Interesting little pinhole on the pile side, which, to me, adds character. I'm thinking this one will garner significant pocket time.
Apologies for the "glare-y" pics, but you get the idea...

Very nice. I'm with you on the pull ratings, no idea what the scale represents. Is there a "Pull Primer for Dummies" thread around here somewhere?

Very nice. I'm with you on the pull ratings, no idea what the scale represents. Is there a "Pull Primer for Dummies" thread around here somewhere?
I believe the scale is a SAK pull is a 5, and you go from there. As knifeswapper posted recently, 1, the blade is flopping open, and 10, the blade is welded shut :)

I believe the scale is a SAK pull is a 5, and you go from there. As knifeswapper posted recently, 1, the blade is flopping open, and 10, the blade is welded shut :)
:D Mine is somewhere in the middle...

As I play with it... um... I mean as I use it, I'm noticing the half stop is more like "almost" half stop. Instead of 90 degrees, it's more like 85 degrees. Both blades pull pretty lightly (5-ish?) to half stop, then the pull increases to probably a strong 6 or light 7.... how's that for nuance?
I can see how this could get into the "overthink" area pretty easily...:)

It's a really nice knife. I like it. <<<< hornetguy's basic review

(It had a really good beat, and it was easy to dance to.. for those of you that remember American Bandstand in the 60's-70's)

The S&M Scout knife I just bought has half-stops like that. They're in there somewhere and will wander a few degrees off center, feels like a 1965 Volkswagen transmission. The S&M made 6206LL Moore Maker I have is the opposite. It SNAPS into 90 degrees and doesn't move, and you better have your fingers out of the way when you close it! Can't remember if Kim's small Toothpick has half stops or not because she won't let me play with it! ;) Will try to look at it when I get home this evening.

Crazy Canuck Crazy Canuck , thanks for the info and link.

I have a Case tiny toothpick, and it doesn't have any stops at all. Smooth all the way.
Is hers a Case, or SM?

...and now, after singing the praises of my SM jack knife, I must confess that my most recent arrival will likely push it out of the "most frequently carried" spot...
Enter the gorgeous orange GEC #74 Mustang.... winterbottom-like bone handles, great in the hand, beautifully made. This was an "I WANT ONE" at my first sight of one in the "orange is the new black" thread... so I posted on the "wanted to buy" forum, and almost immediately had this one offered to me at an astonishingly low price by LastRodeo, purely out of generosity on his part. Christmas came early for me! Great folks on this forum... taking care of each other... life is good!

74%20mark%201_zpsgkkhnk6c.jpg
74%20pile_zpsce23ta9j.jpg

74%20mark_zpsvwvosoie.jpg

I understand why you can't pass up a souvenir knife. I bought a $2 sidewalk knife on my trip to Chinatown, NYC last Spring. I mean, for two dollars, how could I resist? :D
hq7U8JF.jpg

Case finally made one of their new Barlows the right way: two blade clip/pen, sawcut bone, no shield, bolster stamp, carbon steel. :thumbsup: I had to buy one in order to do my part to encourage them. :D
This should get a patina started:
1mV5EsY.jpg

I have a GEC #29 Stockyard Whittler on reserve. That and the 2019 Forum knife will be it for the year. My knife budget is done. No complaints, though. That should add up to a pretty sweet year for knives. :cool::thumbsup:

Very nice Barlow.

Back