Your newest addition:traditionals of course!

I promised myself I would not buy any more knives, but I saw this at the Buy-n-Large for dirt cheap and couldn’t resist. I really like to see decent quality but not overpriced goods being produced somewhere besides You Know Where. In addition, it spoke to my weakness for large single-blade knives, and being light weight will ride nicely in the right front pocket.
CwPAgfR.jpg

Just picked up some old knifes from a bloke here in Oz who resurrects / reconditions / repairs / revives old knives. (A passtime I can approve of but likely haven't the ability to practice.) This one has rather taken my fancy:
e1gks0h.jpg

He says it's a Hibbard Spencer Bartlett & Co. knife from who-knows-when, which he's completely rebuilt (including adding a NOS Schrade USA sheepsfoot blade to replace the broken master blade.

I do like a sheepsfoot blade, I like three-bladed knives and I rather like the bone on this one. It's a little smaller than the 34OT I've had in my pocket of late:
GMH192i.jpg

(I'm pretty sure the replacement sheepsfoot was originally intended for a 34OT.)
..so I think this one might displace it, at least for a while.

I did a quick Google search on Hibbard &cetera and it seems they were a big hardware store in Chicago (so they're not likely the manufacturer, just the seller, perhaps with their own branding). It seems they shut down in 1962, so the knife likely has some age on it. Who knows how the knife got from there to being revived in Perth, Western Australia all these years later?!? At least I know how it got from Perth to Sydney...

...Mike

Last edited:
Just picked up some old knifes from a bloke here in Oz who resurrects / reconditions / repairs / revives old knives. (A passtime I can approve of but likely haven't the ability to practice.) This one has rather taken my fancy:
e1gks0h.jpg

He says it's a Hibbard Spencer Bartlett & Co. knife from who-knows-when, which he's completely rebuilt (including adding a NOS Schrade USA sheepsfoot blade to replace the broken master blade.

I do like a sheepsfoot blade, I like three-bladed knives and I rather like the bone on this one. It's a little smaller than the 34OT I've had in my pocket of late:
GMH192i.jpg

(I'm pretty sure the replacement sheepsfoot was originally intended for a 34OT.)
..so I think this one might displace it, at least for a while.

I did a quick Google search on Hibbard &cetera and it seems they were a big hardware store in Chicago (so they're not likely the manufacturer, just the seller, perhaps with their own branding). It seems they shut down in 1962, so the knife likely has some age on it. Who knows how the knife got from there to being revived in Perth, Western Australia all these years later?!? At least I know how it got from Perth to Sydney...

...Mike

If that sheepsfoot is a usa schrade blade it would be from something such as an 897UH, 825 or 895. The nick is on the wrong side for it to have been a 34ot blade. Do you know if it's stainless or carbon steel?

If that sheepsfoot is a usa schrade blade it would be from something such as an 897UH, 825 or 895. The nick is on the wrong side for it to have been a 34ot blade. Do you know if it's stainless or carbon steel?
It is carbon steel, not stainless, and pretty much the same size as the sheepsfoot from my 34OT. I’ll confess I didn’t even think to look at the nick :oops: - just assumed based on size. However, it would have been ‘for’ rather than ‘from’ such a knife: it was a NOS part, so there’s no donor knife involved.

...Mike

Does the Dan Burke barlow have Winterbottom scales?

I also got my Michael May lambsfoot in bocote wood today. Appearance wise, it is a very nice looking knife. Detail wise, I'm pretty disappointed. I was looking for a well made, almost flawless example of a Sheffield lambsfoot. What I got was a pretty nicely assembled knife with one of the poorest grinds I've seen on one of these. The grind is off center, with a "normal" appearance at the grind termination, by the choil area, on one side of the blade, with almost no termination at all on the other side. There is a slight swedge out toward the end of the blade.... on one side only. Looking down on the spine of the blade, it looks crooked, because of the weird, sloppy grind. Both of my A.Wright lambsfoot knives have very nice grinds... I don't know why this one turned out the way it did. I'd send it back, but it took almost 6 weeks to get this one here... I can't imagine how long it would take to get a replacement.
i7CuPa.jpg
i7CLwA.jpg

i7CYtM.jpg
i7CoKQ.jpg

i7Cvzq.jpg
Arrived in the mail today my Michael May Sheffield Barlow. I remember saying to you that I would send you a picture. Same issues that you have with yours. Disappointed like you ... But it's pretty well constructed and a very pretty knife. Rams horn scales.

IMG_1777.JPG

36039198833_bb834a6ff1.jpg

Arrived in the mail today my Michael May Sheffield Barlow. I remember saying to you that I would send you a picture. Same issues that you have with yours. Disappointed like you ... But it's pretty well constructed and a very pretty knife. Rams horn scales.

View attachment 1223833

36039198833_bb834a6ff1.jpg
That is a shame, beautiful looking knife, you have a good weekend.:thumbsup:

With regards with the Michael May grind issues I would just re-bevel, sharpen it and fix that problem.

Back