Your newest addition:traditionals of course!

Arrived in the mail today my Michael May Sheffield Barlow. I remember saying to you that I would send you a picture. Same issues that you have with yours. Disappointed like you ... But it's pretty well constructed and a very pretty knife. Rams horn scales.

View attachment 1223833

36039198833_bb834a6ff1.jpg
Man, that's disappointing about the grind.... He does finish them out really nicely, but he must be buying "factory seconds" blades from A. Wright, and just assembling them. It's quite a let-down... I was hoping for something approaching a T. Ablett knife, as I could have bought at least two of the A. Wrights for the same price. That IS a pretty knife, though....

With regards with the Michael May grind issues I would just re-bevel, sharpen it and fix that problem.
I had thought about that, but I don't think there is enough metal left in the blade to even up the grind. If I removed that much metal, the blade would likely be only about 3/8" from spine to edge.

The swage is ground on the nick side but is flat on the other side while my A. Wright'z are ground on both sides. This may be an aesthetic choice by M.May I saw no problem with the edge. It has a satin rather than polished finish on the blade. I didn't see anything that really bothered me but I am not a perfectionist. A little variation is a sign of being hand finished.

I plan to take plenty more pictures of this knife tomorrow in sunlight, but I just wanted to give a heartfelt thank you to @Larry Withrow. I happened to snag one of his slipjoints on Wednesday, and I just pulled it out of the mailbox. Larry included a handwritten note thanking me for the purchase. To me, that's so special. Handwritten notes barely, if ever, get sent amongst close friends and family. For a man who I see posting a new knife almost daily, meaning he's spending a lot of time behind a grinder (not to mention the rest of his every day life), to sit down and write a note shows me everything I need to know about Mr. Withrow.

The knife is fantastic, btw. The jigging was, pleasantly, much deeper than I anticipated. The fit and finish are exceptional. The joints are tight. The pull is perfect. The walk and talk are fantastic. It showed up and promptly took a large swath of hair off of my leg. I don't pretend to be knowledgeable of the modern steels, but I understand that CTS-XHP is supposed to be pretty darn good. And it all cost as much as a GEC. I'm happy. Look for more pics soon. Thanks, again, Larry!

380574545.png

I received this NIB Victorinox “Electrician Plus” today.

I already owned one in used condition, but as this model hasn’t been produced for years and isn’t easy to find, I’ll admit to being reluctant to subject it to further wear and tear. I now have a pretty one for the collection and another less-pretty one for the pocket.

B3A21121-BCC8-4A8F-85D9-0BC658251A1A.jpeg

Just got this Michael May of Sheffield lambfoot barlow in this afternoon's mail. Cover is natural canvas micarta.

DSC-3045.jpg
I got mine the other day. I was wondering how you felt about the fit/finish of your knife. Overall, mine is a nice knife with some issues with the grind on the lambfoot blade. I have learned that most of the parts are supplied to Michael by AW Wright so QC might be an issue. My knife is really pretty and seem to be robust so I guess I'm satisfied but probably won't buy another from him.

Just got this in the mail today. My 1st Schatt & Morgan. MOP dogleg File and Wire made in 2001. Absolutely flawless and beautiful. The pearl scales are luminescent and the F&F is superb. Maybe I got lucky, don't know, but I'll be buying more Schatts in the future.
IMG_1784.JPG

I got mine the other day. I was wondering how you felt about the fit/finish of your knife. Overall, mine is a nice knife with some issues with the grind on the lambfoot blade. I have learned that most of the parts are supplied to Michael by AW Wright so QC might be an issue. My knife is really pretty and seem to be robust so I guess I'm satisfied but probably won't buy another from him.

I just sent you a PM. If the subcontracted parts aren’t right, he should send them back, not go ahead and use them. Wright’s QC shouldn’t have a bearing on his QC.

$6 each or two for $10.
The half congress is an Imperial R Co Germany. The little cigar is a Camillus, except it seems to have something stamped over the Camillus etc. The big cigar is a W???... from Germany. The scout is a Western. I have two of the exact same knife except in stainless; I had to get this carbon version.
I hope a couple of the tang stamps will be more legible after a little cleaning up.
r7Nbx9o.jpg

Mine must be the worst of all these recent May knives. I will not be buying another, either. It's visually attractive, very nicely finished, but the grind on the blade is the worst I've seen from any knife from Sheffield. I got a Bexfield online, with horn scales, that I thought was a little rough, but the May is worse. I will be able to use it as a "work" knife, I suppose, but the blade is just disappointingly... well, crappy. (sorry for the technical term :cool:)

I received a couple of these RR "Viper" style knives today. I got them with the intention of practicing re-covers. I am again surprised at the quality of the RR knives. I got two of these for about a third of what I paid for the May knife. Kind of sad...

ie7hpA.jpg
ie7a1q.jpg

This antique seaman's knife from Tallinn, Estonia. I wonder what I should I do with it? Clean the bolsters and blade and how?

L5W9QyU.jpg
I'd be conservative with the cleaning. Flitz works well when needed but will completely remove any patina. Maybe some bronze wool and a little mineral oil, or just a toothbrush and soap and water then a good re oil.

Mine must be the worst of all these recent May knives. I will not be buying another, either. It's visually attractive, very nicely finished, but the grind on the blade is the worst I've seen from any knife from Sheffield. I got a Bexfield online, with horn scales, that I thought was a little rough, but the May is worse. I will be able to use it as a "work" knife, I suppose, but the blade is just disappointingly... well, crappy. (sorry for the technical term :cool:)
Can argue with your terminology one bit. Several people recently received knives from MM with the same complaints. Heck, when I opened mine for the first time the back spring lifted a brass burr from the liner and it cut my finger like a razor. Hate to one-up you but mine drew blood from other than the blade! I special ordered an A Wright knife and the back siring has gaps so big that I can slip a razor blade into them all the way. Beautiful knife but the F&F isn't any better than the MM knife. I was warned about the crappy craftsmanship in Sheffield these days but my Hartshead Barlow is so nice I was seduced by the great quality on that knife. Guess I owe Jack Black a big thank you for his dedication to my HHB quality. At least that one is something I'm proud to own.

Back