Your newest addition:traditionals of course!

Good day today at the mailbox. Two excellent examples of three bladed knives.

I love the Yankee Whittler, but I've got to give an edge to the Texas Ranger as my favorite of the two. I'm a big #29 fan though, so this didn't come as a surprise. They are very pocketable for a 3 spring knife.
27Ni3hs.jpg

X0rgHCn.jpg

Just arrived in this afternoon's postal. :D

Marbles MR431 according to the box. No "MR" number on any blade, but all three blades have the "Marbles" tang stamp.
Black Canvas Micarta covers with D2 blades Sow Belly Stockman.
Unexpected half stops on all three blades.
Main is a little proud at half stop, flush open and closed. Spey/Budding a little sunken at half stop, flush open and closed. Sheepsfoot is flush in all three spots.
Since I'll probably never use any of the blades when half closed, I ain't gonna fret about a minor cosmetic "defect".
The Spey/Budding is a bit stiff to open when the Sheepsfoot is closed, but around a "5" once it starts moving. I suspect a little crud in that joint. I'll work it until better. The Sheepsfoot and main clip point are both around a "5" and don't argue when you open them.
All three blades shave arm hair out of the box.
No blade wiggle/wobble. No noticeable gaps anywhere. No blade rub, either.
It feels O.K. in hand, so I guess I'll put it into my pocket, and take out the Buck 371.

Rough Ryder RR1740 Classic Carbon Large (4.5 inch closed) Stockman with yeller composition covers.
Again, no RR number on any blade. (what's up with that?!?)
All three blades are between a "4" and "5", and consistent, as I've come to expect.
I don't see any flaws in the fit and finish. No blade rub.
Unexpected half stops, pretty much the same as the Marbles (above) for proud/flush/sunk in all three positions and blades.
The blades are not quite as sharp out of the box as my other Rough Rider/Rough Ryder knives. No biggie, I got a sharpening stone ... and plenty of time on my hands during the continued Gov. Little mandated assisted living facility (and related facilities) lock down. (I hear it will be lifted in mid-July.)
I suspect this RR stockman will find its way into my pocket next week, and is likely to displace the RR603 same size and color stockman with 440A blades as my favorite large RR stockman.
Question is ... "Do I force a patina with Vinegar, or let it happen over time with use?"

Over-all, I'm happy with them.

What a wonderful way to start June!
The blonde and red head mermaid intended for a fishing rod decals (One each Blonde and Red Head swimming and sitting) I ordered for one of my rollators, and both sets of steel full horseshoe heel plates came in today, too. :D
Sadly, someone unknown hid the facility's hammer so I gotta wait a little while longer to install the heel plates. :(

UPDATE:
It only took two or three swipes on each blade to get them "good n' sharp".

Almost forgot to mention: all three blades on both knives have match strike pulls.

Last edited:

Absolutely gorgeous! Boker really did a good job on the Castle Burg line, that's for sure. It's pretty awesome when you think about how old the wood on those covers are... It predates the founding of America, the bubonic plague, the Renaissance, the Magna Carta, and even Ghengis Khan. That oak is probably over 1000 years old once you factor in the time the tree spent alive. Just incredible imo.

Glad to see you got it!!
The pics look great, I assume you're happy with it?
Great looking knife!!
Is the pull a bit on the stiff side? Mine is, some people like that, for me it doesn't matter much, but if I could choose I wouldn't mind it a little lighter.
Thanks brother and Yes beyond happy !
It really is a well made knife with wonderful walk and talk. I think pulls are a matter of preference and what you like within reason. For me I think it’s the perfect pull and snap and what I Really like is you can pinch it open or use the nail nick. I think the pull on mine out of 10 being the highest would be from a high 5 to a low 6 . Definitely not lazy that’s for sure but not to high either on the scale.
Very happy with this one :)
Edit: On a side note the pull could lighten up for you a little over time. Also maybe flush it out with some of your favorite knife lube and that should help to :thumbsup:

Last edited:
Absolutely gorgeous! Boker really did a good job on the Castle Burg line, that's for sure. It's pretty awesome when you think about how old the wood on those covers are... It predates the founding of America, the bubonic plague, the Renaissance, the Magna Carta, and even Ghengis Khan. That oak is probably over 1000 years old once you factor in the time the tree spent alive. Just incredible imo.
Thank you Sir ! I absolutely love the history behind the wood on these covers for all the reasons you’ve mentioned :thumbsup: Which attracted me to this one from the get go and liking the pattern , being a boker made in Germany just sealed the deal.
When I hold it in my hand I can feel the presence of its history going threw my mind.
The craftsmanship is amazing which just adds to the wow factor :)

I received this yesterday in the mail from @abbydaddy. I got it as the winner of his "Memorial Scout Knife GAW" and I plan on giving it to my son who is an Eagle Scout and lost his. Jon gave me a choice of several knives that were new but I couldn't resist this vintage Ulster that his daughter owned and put into the GAW. It's in great shape and I know my son will cherish it.:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:
IMG_2379.JPG IMG_2380.JPG

IMG_2386.JPG

36039198833_bb834a6ff1.jpg

Last edited:
I had two show up today... my natural linen 62 pocket carver, and a Case stockman with punch. I got the one with CV blades, and a TruSharp punch. It's a nice looking knife, and showed up pretty dang sharp. There is a little bit of "punch rub" where the tip rubs against the sheepfoot blade. The tip of the sheepfoot was also standing proud of the liner, but about a minute of trial and error with the dremel on the kick has it snugged down into place nicely. This is the amber bone 6318PU.

jpzT1x.jpg
jpzEpH.jpg

Man, great minds think alike, lol! First the Castle Barlow and now one of these bad boys! I recently picked up the green canvas Micarta version and was blown away by it. Amazing action, amazing fit and finish, a nice thin blade, and solid steel (especially for a traditional styled knife). The half-stop in a nice touch too. There's a guy on Reddit who modded one that I think looks incredible (here ya go)... I'm currently trying to talk him into doing it to mine, lol.

I went up to our roadside mail box a couple of hours ago and this knife from @knifeswapper at Collector Knives stared me in the face when I opened the mail box. I've sold off almost all my knives but couldn't resist this one when scrolling through Mike's site this past weekend. He has a great selection of Case knives.

2008 Case 6318 SS - CV Amber Bone Stockman. The Clip and Sheepfoot blades are CV but the Spay blade is SS. Note the SS Spay blade is marked "For Flesh Only"..

rwPgHjj.jpg

9UFuXQg.jpg

Last edited:
That's a beauty Les! A discontinued model. Nickel Silver liners and bolsters. A pinned shield and beautiful jigged bone. That's some of the things that makes an older Case so desirable. Congratulations! And a very good year to boot! :thumbsup: :)

Thanks Ron! I read that Case discontinued this pattern in 1990.

Back