Your newest addition:traditionals of course!

Fresh from the mailbox. I’m grinning like a cat eating saw briars! :D

50560622038_13b087ea8a_o_d.jpg

Just arrived in the mail...
Boker Clip Blade Barlow in Blackwood.
It's a wonderful knife with very nice Fit & Finish. Just a bit smaller than a GEC #15 but really reminds me of it. There are micro gaps in the liners that can only be seen when holding it up to the light and looking through the blade well. The transitions between bolsters and handle slabs are pretty decent, but could be smoother. The blade is centered, with a solid 5 pull, has a solid half stop, and wonderful Walk & Talk. The blade also has a nice shape and is ground evenly with a nice edge. The pins are also well finished and smooth. Finally, although I don't necessarily like the shield on a Barlow, it is pinned and very slightly raised, so it's just okay. Over-all this is a very well built knife that should rival the GEC #15, especially given its price and being readily available. This one is going to see a lot of pocket time and I'm super happy to have it... especially at the price I paid for it. ;):thumbsup:

Edited to add... the blade is 440C steel, for the stainless guys here. :cool::thumbsup:

Nice. Glad you're liking it.

I have two of the newer models - a Castle Wood (carbon) and a Grenadilla (stainless). Quickly becoming favorites.

Between my elk hunt and South Dakota pheasant trip, this arrived. I really like the Bose/Case Tribal Spear and never thought that I would be attracted to an ablalone(bling-bling) handled one, but, here it is...and I like it:) I will probably put more wear on it coon-fingering than cutting. The way it changes with the lighting is mesmerizing.
OFWd1qw.jpg

WS6fl0J.jpg

Between my elk hunt and South Dakota pheasant trip, this arrived. I really like the Bose/Case Tribal Spear and never thought that I would be attracted to an ablalone(bling-bling) handled one, but, here it is...and I like it:) I will probably put more wear on it coon-fingering than cutting. The way it changes with the lighting is mesmerizing.
OFWd1qw.jpg

WS6fl0J.jpg
Sweet!

This cannot compare to some of the knives being put up.:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:. Just arrived, it is a big 41/4 inch sheepsfoot blade, liner lock work knife. This is a big solid knife the same size as a large Case stockman.
nqd8ZSi.jpg

PCyoNwS.jpg

I like that wood. What kind is it?

Just arrived in the mail...
Boker Clip Blade Barlow in Blackwood.
It's a wonderful knife with very nice Fit & Finish. Just a bit smaller than a GEC #15 but really reminds me of it. There are micro gaps in the liners that can only be seen when holding it up to the light and looking through the blade well. The transitions between bolsters and handle slabs are pretty decent, but could be smoother. The blade is centered, with a solid 5 pull, has a solid half stop, and wonderful Walk & Talk. The blade also has a nice shape and is ground evenly with a nice edge. The pins are also well finished and smooth. Finally, although I don't necessarily like the shield on a Barlow, it is pinned and very slightly raised, so it's just okay. Over-all this is a very well built knife that should rival the GEC #15, especially given its price and being readily available. This one is going to see a lot of pocket time and I'm super happy to have it... especially at the price I paid for it. ;):thumbsup:

Edited to add... the blade is 440C steel, for the stainless guys here. :cool::thumbsup:

Thanks for the review. It looks good.

I'm pretty sure it is Rosewood. It came with a very smooth lustre finish. Feels really good in the hand, nearly too good for a work knife.
I bet it is.... I have a Grohmann folder that is rosewood, but it was lighter than I expected. It's probably not quite as light as yours, but apparently, rosewood comes in all shades...

I bet it is.... I have a Grohmann folder that is rosewood, but it was lighter than I expected. It's probably not quite as light as yours, but apparently, rosewood comes in all shades...
You are correct with your observation, i have seen Rosewood in many tones from really dark to really light. I am sure from what i have read, that it depends on many factors such as where it is sourced from and what genus of rosewood tree it is.

Back