Your newest addition:traditionals of course!

We all know how much I hate perfunctory dye jobs/wishy washy colour...this Redtail 23 just needed a dunk in the Cherry RIT
20201105-194527.jpg

Cheers

Old Engineer Old Engineer Harry it is deadset so simple a trained ape could do it...Heck even I can do it.
I used the RIT liquid dye as opposed to the powder...Cherry Red...
Boil the kettle
Pour enough boiling water to cover the knife into a stainless steel saucepan .
A slosh of vinegar.
A large slurp of the liquid dye
Immerse knife spine down so both scales get even coverage.
Stir it round a bit.
Another slosh of dye and a dribble more.
(measurements are not precise)
Steep for say 30 min max ...maybe less.
I kept taking it out to check.
When it looks right remove and rinse thoroughly under cold tap.
Be careful not to splash any dye on kitchen surfaces or clothing (or penalties will apply).
Dry with paper towel.
Something to be wary of is that the dye solution is alkanlinic and very salty...it will affect metal surfaces eg shiny blades and backsprings...the bolsters not so much. It left black marks on the blades (see pic below) but that comes of with metal polish...Im sure that they could be buffed back to mirror finish if so desired.
Cheers.
20201106-064626.jpg

Old Engineer Old Engineer Harry it is deadset so simple a trained ape could do it...Heck even I can do it.
I used the RIT liquid dye as opposed to the powder...Cherry Red...
Boil the kettle
Pour enough boiling water to cover the knife into a stainless steel saucepan .
A slosh of vinegar.
A large slurp of the liquid dye
Immerse knife spine down so both scales get even coverage.
Stir it round a bit.
Another slosh of dye and a dribble more.
(measurements are not precise)
Steep for say 30 min max ...maybe less.
I kept taking it out to check.
When it looks right remove and rinse thoroughly under cold tap.
Be careful not to splash any dye on kitchen surfaces or clothing (or penalties will apply).
Dry with paper towel.
Something to be wary of is that the dye solution is alkanlinic and very salty...it will affect metal surfaces eg shiny blades and backsprings...the bolsters not so much. It left black marks on the blades (see pic below) but that comes of with metal polish...Im sure that they could be buffed back to mirror finish if so desired.
Cheers.
20201106-064626.jpg
Thank you very much my friend .

Harr

I sold a few Hinderers and picked these up the last month or so. Besides the tip of the shown Case blade being about as pointy as a butter knife I’ve been very pleased. I just ordered the 50 grit stone for my KME and am going to try re-profiling it (after practicing of course).
C5fY7Vp.jpg

Last edited:
My Moore Maker sowbelly moose arrived yesterday. This is a very nicely made knife. For some reason, there is a little bit of a hitch just past the middle point when opening the main blade. The nail nick is in an odd place on that blade, as well. Other than that, it's a great knife... no flaws found. 1998 model, that appears basically unused. It's also my first "double shield" knife....

4zTMqdc.jpg
tlah1Ai.jpg

YclJXiI.jpg
K5VYKAx.jpg

I was thinking about buying a tidioute Congress. One retailer has it listed at $89, another has it listed at $158. I’m unsure what the huge price difference is due to. Both are the same knife. I’m looking for some guidance in this.

Last edited:
I was thinking about buying a tidioute Congress. One retailer has it listed at $89, another has it listed at $158. I’m unsure what the huge price difference is due to. Both are the same knife. I’m looking for some guidance in this.
I'd have to see the listings which I know you probably can't post here. Good deals do pop up from time to time and honestly, even the higher price could be a lot worse. I recently bought 2 Case knives from a reputable dealer for the same price that another retailer wanted for just one of them. It happens occasionally.

I'm sure you've already done this but I can only recommend making sure there aren't any issues with either knife and that the retailer you choose to purchase from has a good return policy and a good reputation. Could be as simple as you found yourself a good deal.

Back