Your newest addition:traditionals of course!

Stopped at the knife shop on the way home from an errand this morning. Found this little (3" closed) 2002 Case 6225 1/2 SS swell center jack in "pitch black" bone, complete with box and papers. Pat (the owner) said it was an SFO for Frost and that "there weren't that many of them made." He said I should "put it away." Nah, if I can't carry it, why would I want it? (I will carry it in a slip, though.) Beautifully made and a perfect size, just a bit bigger than a peanut and about the same size as a mini copperhead. And a nice American flag shield.

51393893430_d49d6a000d_b.jpg

This one came in the mail today. I’ve seen them posted by members here before, and the consensus seemed to be mostly positive. A recent discussion caused me to seek one out, and for less than $9 delivered to my door, I figured why not.

BO2kNsy.jpg

The fit and finish are decent enough, no big gaps or glaring issues. Action was gritty but cleaned up easily. The factory edge was ok, but I decided to go ahead and sharpen it myself, which is where my only real complaint comes from. The factory grinds and bevels are/were not great, and the blade is a little thick behind the edge for its size, all of which made the initial sharpening a bit of a pain. That said, now that I’ve done the hard part, subsequent sharpenings should be easier.

I will say that the yellow is not quite as yellow as it shows up in the photo, but it is a richer color than Case’s yellow delrin.

Received a couple of knives this week, both of which are a challenge to photograph well. I'm going to take another stab at the photos later.

The first is a really really old Mother of Pearl Robeson pen knife. I have a couple of other Robeson's similar to this. I usually do a minor cleanup, sharpen as needed, and carry them on Sundays. I feel classy, even if I don't look it.

I9S9BRCl.jpg

ZdsJ0aSl.jpg

The second is a newer Queen Classic Doctor's Knife with what they call 'Abalone Casein' handles. I haven't been able to dig up much information about this material. I don't know if this is real abalone encased in transparent casein or if it's some kind of synthetic abalone-like material mixed in with casein. If anyone has any information about this stuff, I'd love to hear it. At any rate, it doesn't look like much with indoor light, but in full sunlight it comes alive.

DKJbj1dl.jpg

G913fyil.jpg

A quick word about my totally scientific age descriptions for objects:

- Brand New means Brand New
- Newer means I have some recollection of the time when it was made
- Old means I don't remember back that far
- Really Old means older than me
- Really Really Old means older than my father

While the time between the last two are mathematically constant, for some reason it feels like it is shrinking.

Mark

Back