Your next SOG ?

what in the heck is this that I'm reading here ??

"It" seems to be telling me that since I've destroyed the factory bluing on the new Recon Bowie I'm somehow now in big trouble with the knife police ?? And because I've (deliberately) taken a scrubbing sponge to the leather handle of the saidsame Recon Bowie and roughed it up that I'm deranged ??

And what's this about keeping precious toys in a safe ?? What's that all about ?? You haven't built a shrine on the dining room table with all knives on full and unencumbered display for all to enjoy ??

And even worse, the concept of "cheap" knives ?? I know deep down you truly mean "inexpensive"..... say it's really so.

NIB ?? LNIB ?? huh ?? or as my good pal at Watts Bar used to say, "h-h-u-u-u-u-u-u-u-u-h-h ??"

I reckon ya can learn something every day......

cheers,

carl

First, let me say I have truly admired your ability to use these fine SOG knives, I have been reading yours and others post for a year and realize I have a severe problem:rolleyes: , even my wife says I am silly for not USING at least one of the SOG knives I have, maybe with your help, I can break this terrible cycle of SAVING:D , these wonderful blades for a rainy day. I have tried many times to CUT even a rope with my MINI X-RAY, and just at the last second, I pull back and say, if you cut it, it will RUIN the bead blast.
It is a terrible thing to have all these blades and only carry to look at and show. The only knife I have been able to use extensively is one of my own SOG REVOLVERS. And it was REALLY hard to make that first saw cut, but once I did, I found it easy to cut many limbs with it and since, have cut a multitude of THINGS with it.
So maybe with some coaching, and help from people like you and Heber, I can learn to use these blades for what they were designed to do.........................:( , I changed my mind,:rolleyes: , I just can't do it !!!!:D
Robbie Roberson

I can't speak for Heber but I'll tell ya what I can do to help....

Robbie,

ah, if you've been reading SOG Forum a while then you know I've trashed the awesome from-the-factory bluing on both my Bowie and Recon Bowie.... that definitely hurt, but I was being stupid and asked for it. After all, when ya dip the blade in hot sauce.... you get the picture.....

Anyway, you just mail 'em on over to my place.... I'll give 'em a workout and mail 'em back....

You won't recognize 'em when you get 'em back, but at least you'll know they're still SOG's, and well-used (but never abused) SOG's, ready for any and all taskings you'll need them for.

It's the same sorta method I strongly recommend for cleaning out the garage, the closets, the shed out back.... just get a monster dumpster out front, go away for a couple of days, and have your friends come on in and have at it. Since they aren't sentimentally attached to 99% of the stuff you have around your house, it's easy for that "stuff" to make it's way into the dumpster.

Same concept here.... the first cut is the deepest... hey, didn't Rod say that ??

Cheers,

Carl

Robbie, Carl beet me to it. volontearing to use you knives for you that is.;) lol Like Carl, all of my knives are users. I've spent just under $1,000 (I'm sick, I know:p) on knives this year and have used all of them. Some were new and some were used.

Scratching up a knife is hard the first time, but it gets easier the more you use the knife. At least 6 of the knives I purchased this year have been used, so that helped.

Please dont make me !:eek:
Please dont make me !:eek:

Hot sauce !!! :eek:

Using knives ????
I must be on the wrong forum, I thought this was a forum for shining and polishing and clicking open gently, you actually CUT MEAT and WOOD with your new shiny knives ??:eek: I feel kind of sick.............................. :barf: I will be downstairs polishing my shiny knives.:p
Robbie Roberson

Shining and Polishing.... oh me, oh my.... oh me-o, oh my-o....

yep, hot sauce, and doesn't take long for the acid in that to find the bare metal.

I reckon that Heber and I could whup those Shiny/Polishy thingies into quick shape.
I'll take 'em on vacation to Coronado and see if a Navy SEAL or three would like to give 'em an on-the-beach-and-in-the-sand kinda workout... then I'll send 'em on over to Heber and he can give 'em a Utah mountain-man-tree-trunk kinda whuppin'....

We'll have those things unshiny and unpolished in no time a'tall, with maybe even some SoCal sand chunks and Utah tree chunks still in the mechanism to help slow down the quick-flick opening....
and then they'll arrive razor sharp back upon your doorstep for whatever it is that qualifies as a Tennessee kinda whuppin'....

yessir, I forsee a passel of beautiful SOG knives made more beautiful with some serious workin' out....

Cheers,

Carl

O.K. Mr. New pig Hunter, and Mr. Heber, I don't usually do this but I AM TELLIN ON YOU !!!!!! There has got to be some rules somewhere in these forums that prohibits such AWFUL :eek: , things to be done to these fine works of art !!! I AM TELLIN, TELLIN, TELLIN, :eek: on you and Heber, as soon as I read all the instructions on these forums, I am sure there will be a sentence in fine print that says ALL MEMBERS SHALL NEVER,NEVER,NEVER, get sand or gravels in or around their knives, and for sure not ever whip on tree stumps !:grumpy: Man, I sure don't know what you think these things were made for !:rolleyes: And further more, the local @#$%^&* chapter of "KNIVES FOREVER" will probably get a letter from me and don't be surprised if I tell them you have been STICKIN your blades in HOT SAUCE !!!:barf: , Wheres BOBBY B when I need him, he will be shocked and ashamed to learn things like this goes on in other areas of the country . Carry on. :D :D :D :p :p
Robbie Roberson

Carl, when you get done with the knives just send em up. I'll be waiting to give them the treatment they deserve. :D Chopping up dead timber, and digging up roots. Wood chips flying this way and that....

Thats exactly why you have the grand canyon zipper scar on your arm !!!!:eek: , I been tryin to teach you guys the RIGHT way to use them, and you just won't learn !!!!:p Chopping roots and dirt are BAD,just take a look at that big gurki you have, you done went and bent the blade in a curve from hitting so many rocks and stuff :grumpy: If you done like me, yours would be straight like mine :rolleyes: , so be careful, or you'll end up on med-flight again en-route to the E.R. for another zipper !!!!:eek:
Robbie Roberson
P.S. I am going to smoky knife works on new years day to look at SOGs :D , wish you could look at one of those new TANTO, FLASH 2 with me :p

yessir, wildmanh, I do believe we'all got us a mission here. yessir, I do believe we do.
and it'll be fun, I'm sure of that. and to get things ready at my end, I'll make a quick trip over to the 99-cent store for six different varieties of hot sauce. that way we'll know for sure which one chews up blade coatings the fastest.

So Robbie, you just go ahead and package them things up now, nice and tidy, and send 'em on out for some much-needed SoCal sunlight and vacation. I'll be giving a call to some pals who will be right happy to show your knives a good time.

In the meantime, you enjoy Smoky Knife Works, I certainly do envy that trip.... definitely sounds like fun !!

Cheers,

Carl

p.s. for dinner tomorrow four of us are gonna do New Year's Day battle with a monster-sized prime rib and the Tigershark has already been assigned carving duty. I'm thinking the following SOG's will make for the perfect dinner knives: Bowie, Recon Bowie, Tech I, and X-42 Field Knife. All will naturally be honed to razorness. It Shall Be Glorious !!!

No ! I will never let a hone touch my blades, nor will I be encouraged to put my blades in sauce of any kind (with or without ribs), just pure light weight machine oil, That is all.:D Now for the best part, I will have the chance to look and handle almost all models of SOG knives at smoky and will be thinking of all you guys and wishing you were there,:p And while I am looking at all these MANY models of fine SOG knives, I will be wishing you were there.:D
Happy new year to all !
Robbie Roberson

Robbie,

whew, yer gonna be a tough sell, Heber and I will have to work on ya.... and I know that BadBobbyB is on our team too.

and don't worry none, I for one won't hone your knives. Nosir, I much prefer using a big ol' sharpening steel. A few passes over that thing and my knives are mighty mighty sharp. So imagine how sharp yours will become when I sit down in front of the TV for an hour of Simpsons.
And then when that's done, I'll move into the garage and get serious about making your knives sharp. I'll start working 'em out on my grandfather's razor strop, first on the leather and then do the final work on the canvas. I barely understand what I'm doing and yet somehow my knives become sharper than anything I've ever seen before.
And then when I'm thinking they're allright, I'll blast 'em with a few heavy doses of DuraLube Spray Lube and let that soak in. Great stuff.

But heck, you oughta take a couple of your knives into Calhoun's and check 'em out against a rack or two of ribs. Calhoun's does make 'em mighty tender but it would make for a fun field trip nonetheless, and if you've got a knife with a serrated edge you can test it out by sawing a rib in half (be sure to let us know how that field test turns out).

Cheers and Happy New Year !!

Carl

I am horrified (!) at what goes on here when I am away!!! :mad: :mad: :mad: I think I need to edit some posts... There will be no more - as in NO MORE!!! - discussion of using :eek: knives here!!! It will not be tolerated!!!:mad:

Let's all just go back to polishing our shiny knives, like the man said... otherwise I will have to edit certain people's posts to say they are... Carl, and Heber... behave yourselves!!! :grumpy:

:rolleyes: :p ;)
BTW Happy New Year Guys!!!:D

Thats it, it's in the water !!!:eek: The water is No good, Bobby B, It is the only thing that would make them do these things, All that sand and rock and excess HOT SAUCE has got in the CRAPPIN WATER !!:eek:
Robbie Roberson

the water, I never thought of that.... do you suppose it's a Gray Davis plot to get even with all the voters who tossed him outta office ??

nope, that can't be it.... it doesn't explain wildmanh's opinions of a non-polishing persuasion.

must be something else.....

BobbyB, you'd best get to editing those "certain" posts while I get busy with my sharpening steel.

Cheers,

Carl

Originally posted by New Pig Hunter
BobbyB, you'd best get to editing those "certain" posts while I get busy with my sharpening steel.
Carl, you'll not know what hit ya...:D

OK, I have been known to use knives, but so far not my "pretty" ones...:rolleyes:

Originally posted by Bobby B
Carl, you'll not know what hit ya...:D

OK, I have been known to use knives, but so far not my "pretty" ones...:rolleyes:

But the "pretty" ones are the funnest to use.:D hee hee hee. There is nothing like using a Pretty knife at the dinner table to slice up dinner.:eek: :D :D

IM000150.JPG

IM000146.JPG

Heber !!! :eek: , I am so ashamed of you !!! Showing those pics of that poor SOG knife being used in that manner. You can tell that poor slab of meat lost that fight ! :eek: It would take me a whole day to get those sharpening marks off of that SOG. Me and Bobby B sure has our work cut out for us trying to retrain you and New pig hunter on the proper way to treat your knives, and just how do you expect to get all that steak juice off of your knife ?
I have my knives locked up and only get them out on sundays and Only after I have properly washed my hands of all foreign matter that may have got on them. (I have been known to wear socks on each hand) to protect the finish. I then wipe and admire (at a distance) so as not to breath too much on the mirror finish (may cause premature surface oxydation). Then after careful packing, the knives go back in where they will be kept in a climate, moisture controlled envirenment (silica) or something like that. This is the way I take care of my SOG knives !!!!!:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :D
Robbie Roberson

Beside, that isn't a "purdy" SOG... only the leather handled ones qualify...;) :D :p

Originally posted by Bobby B
Beside, that isn't a "purdy" SOG... only the leather handled ones qualify...;) :D :p

Picky, pick, picky.:p How's about you send me a Leather handled SOG, so I can show it the "Loving" it deserves.:D

Back