Your opinions why the ZT 0909 only lasted one year?

I bought 2 when the price got to $139, would have bought more at $99; at these (dico’d) prices it was a great value. As post #4, suggests people are still willing to pay top dollar for a classic design.
The 301-3 reruns sell all day at $270. With so many options and not that many carrying a ~4” blade for edc(not even permitted in many cities these days) maybe ZT realized they would have to cut and move. Personally, though the 804 is cooler from the classic 3’ distance perspective, and the 562 better looking in profile, I prefer the 909 for hard use. Maybe it’s price paid and ugliness, as others have suggested.
The linerlock is similar to that on older ZT models(I can’t remember the #’s) still being sold and it’s enough to handle any task for which I would use a folder. And the handle is grippy enough, though I haven’t used it covered in fresh blood or thick oil.

I bought mine at full price with no regrets. I love the weight and robustness. It was my favorite in my 7 or 8 ZT collection.

The 920 knocked it out of my pocket for large edc. However, when I go for a hike, the 909 comes along. Along with my 350, it's the ZT that gets hard use and has never let me down.

Newbie here, so can't say my opinion is worth much but if you're gonna put "proudly overbuilt" on the box of a knife, this is the knife that needs to come out of it. I don't do woodsy stuff, or tactical stuff, so I can't say what that entails and how this knife would perform in those roles. But as a knife to bring out to the construction site, this is the one.

This thing fits great in my Dickies and shares that pocket with my wallet so while it is big, it is still easily taken in and out one-handed. The clip does look small and out of place on the knife but it flat-out works so I can't complain about it. Traction for me has been great on the scales and while hard gripping isn't exactly comfortable (is any knife comfy while deathgripping it?) my hands aren't being destroyed by the knife as it's contoured quite nicely. And for easier tasks like cutting boxes and such, it definitely feels like an extension of your hand. The weight is not an issue for me but again, this is a work knife. No way am I putting this in my shorts on the weekend, that's why I bought a 0450CF. But the weight is only an issue when you are NOT using it. Once you take that sucker out to cut something you appreciate the weight.

Someone compared this thing to a 0804 and that is a fair comparison. I have both and I absolutely love them both. Right now the 0804 is my darling since it is newer and the freaking thing has a buttery smooth action. The coating is excellent on the 0804 but every time I take it out to use it I worry about scratching it to hell. Not the case with the 0909 so I abuse it a bit more. I would say the coating helps cutting during light EDU. Either way, both great knives, but the steel frame is "overbuilt" as opposed to the carbon fiber slab. The 0909 was really built like a tank.

So why did they not sell? I guess not enough construction workers willing to deal out the $$ as clearly your light EDU guy can get by with a Skyline and collectors just didn't care for the looks? Can't say the same of the 0804 which also got axed but that's off topic.

I wrote the 909 off when it first came out because of the black g10 scales, which I hate. a number of months later I saw them being offered with frag g10 scales. got the blue one, and got blue standoffs as well. It has come to be one of my favorite knives, love the flipping action blade shape,style. I think it should have been offered with different or better scales.

Last edited:
just got one for the $99 deal. before reading this thread my first opinions were hard to open (smoothing out now after a few days) and the edges of handles needs some jimping its too smooth for a good grip. just my 2cents
How's it feeling a couple weeks on? I'd like to try one of these but the price is still a little steep. Let me know if I can take it off your hands. :)

Last edited:
You only get one chance to make a first impression.
DSC_0955.jpg

It just did nothing to stand out from the pack. At $99 I would have snapped one up if I had been paying attention. At $139 it turned my head, but there wasn't enough there to make me open my wallet. At $180 I saw the price, looked at what it was and never paid attention to it again.

I agree, it has a somewhat plain look and (subjectively) frame locks seem to be more popular than liner locks. I bought one after they were a little cheaper here and I stumbled over it. I quite enjoy carrying it at work, comfortable in the hand, very sturdy and a great blade shape. I am thinking off finding somebody to make me some micarta or wood scales and maybe put a satin finish on the blade. As it stands it's definitely "just a tool" in appearance.

it was offered with the knife from gp knives ; they still have some but the scales with the knife is not cheap .To me it was worth it,and I sold off other less desirable knives to get it....

I was seriously considering this knife when BladeHQ put it out on closeout. Pretty much close to the Benchmade bugout in price right now. Then I balked after reading a few reviews and asking myself the same question as to why it didn't last more than a season before going to closeout.

Back