your preferred sharpening method for CPK

This was a factory edge about an hour ago. Sharpened up to 1600 grit stones, then stropped to 3.5 micron (but stropped about 2 degrees more acute to stay off the edge). This is just for show. Mirror edges don't look great for long.

The wicked edge is aptly named.

20190216_150148~01.jpg 20190216_150616~01.jpg

This was a factory edge about an hour ago. Sharpened up to 1600 grit stones, then stropped to 3.5 micron (but stropped about 2 degrees more acute to stay off the edge). This is just for show. Mirror edges don't look great for long.

View attachment 1074620 View attachment 1074621
I have an edge pro Apex when I want to be crazy like that.... That looks like a damn good edge.

Never mind. I should've done more searching in the various sharpening threads before posting.

Last edited:
Nathans edges are quite amazing [...]

His knives sharpen up in less time than any Ive tried on my W.E. because his original edge and symmetry is so good [...]

^This. Which is basically what I also said earlier.
This knife has been used regularly and has been sharpened a few times and stropped by a complete novice (that’s me :)) using very basic equipment. Hairs literally pop (to use that worn phrase) at the lightest touch of the blade . My sense is that NO ONE should be concerned about keeping their CPKs sharp.

F5B4F39C-59B0-4C14-9FF0-E35518D31578.jpeg

Last edited:

That mirror edge is insane. How are you sharpening on a stone and keeping your primary bevel from scratching up? I always seem to go too acute for one or two strokes and scratch it up (like in the pic). You must have very steady hands to keep such a consistent angle the whole time!

f8nMV5c.jpg

Has anyone used Spiderco’s Sharpmaker?

That edge is almost as shiny as your custom handles :) :) :)
Great work !!!!!

That mirror edge is insane. How are you sharpening on a stone and keeping your primary bevel from scratching up? I always seem to go too acute for one or two strokes and scratch it up (like in the pic). You must have very steady hands to keep such a consistent angle the whole time!

f8nMV5c.jpg

I always use mine :)

f8nMV5c.jpg

That was done on a wicked edge, which is like sharpening for dummies. Solves the problem you are describing.

I use the w.e. Go, which is their more budget friendly entry level system. To it I've added some additional stones and have Maybe $450 into it. If I had it to do again I would forego the 1200/1600 fine ceramic paddles. No need for polished edges for my tastes.

That still would be an expensive setup, in my budget for such things. But it sure gets em sharp, fast and consistently.

I use the w.e. Go, which is their more budget friendly entry level system. To it I've added some additional stones and have Maybe $450 into it. If I had it to do again I would forego the 1200/1600 fine ceramic paddles. No need for polished edges for my tastes.

That still would be an expensive setup, in my budget for such things. But it sure gets em sharp, fast and consistently.

I managed to pick up a 2017 Pro-Pack I with the upgraded arms (but still 8") for micro adjustments and an angle cube to boot. Snagged it at a very good deal although the stones were a bit more used than disclosed but I have that with proper care the stones ought to last for maybe up to 100 knives, maybe even more!

I nevertheless went ahead and begrudgingly paid the $95 for those ceramics because I think that's a better store to gauge the angles via the Sharpie tick than the diamonds, but that's just me. FWIW, I'm still at the learning curve stage and trying to finagle things with much cheaper practice knife to get the hang of it better :)

I'll jump in to agree that Nathan and Jo and their team have invested in quality control and it shows in the edge. It also heightens value for the buyer. The edges are coming out consistently thin and sharp. Combine that with their state of the art heat treatment and the knives are ready to go and easy to maintain. Although this is plainly stated I greatly admire their work. Because the edges rarely need thinning these days I prefer to sharpen them by hand on waterstones.

Last edited:
Back