• The rules for The Exchange can be found here. Please read and follow them. Stop using Paypal Friends & Family and follow our best practices to prevent getting ripped off or having a bad deal.

Your recent customer service experience?

I was wondering what some of your customer service stories are for different manufacturers over the last year. Since customer service quality can improve or degrade with different companies over time, I felt it's best to limit these stories to more recent events. Knife manufacturers only, of course.

So, what is your story?

Spyderco, good experience.

Lost the clips screws for my Ayoob sprint. They sent me screws and a new clip twice but they were the wrong size. I guess the G10 uses a different fit. Then I set them the knife and they milled down a set of the too long screws to fit.

I paid for the shipping one way and that was it. Didn't even take long including crossing an international border back and forth.

During the process Kristi was always easy to catch up with via email.

Both recent and past I have found Chris Reeve and Hinderer to be excellent.
No story-just, answer my ?'s and fill my needs promptly and politely.

Last edited:
Spyderco serviced my Dodo and provided some extra long screws for a Domino that when I moved the clip to left hand carry. They were fantastic both times.

Kershaw and Benchmade provided clips and springs and were excellent.

1) ZT: Excellent service. So-so, coms. Received a free clip for my 0562 by leaving an email message w/o any response; just receive the clip in the mail. Did receive a response to my request for a new pivot screw for the 0562 because they had to charge $10 to my credit for before send it to me.

2) Benchmade: Ok service. Poor coms. Company policy required me to send my mini-Infidel to them through a dealer; no direct shipment from a retired LEO allowed. Had to pay my dealer an extra $20 for the "service." Asked them to replace the blade and body. Bought the knife used for a "good" price and wanted to make it look new. Received an email confirmation of receipt, but no email upon return to the dealer, even though I was told that I would receive such. Only heard form them (like ZT) when they had to charge my credit card for the services requested.

In either case, I had no choice but to deal w/the company. The experiences were ok but certainly not "great." Just happy that I was able to get what I wanted/needed from them "correctly."

3) Spydero: Pending. I need to send an old Endura Clip-it to them to reshape the tip, polish out any blade scratches/discoloration and to resharpen as necessary. I here-tell that Spyderco's service is excellent in this regard. I hope that's true.

Last edited:
White River Knives was excellent to deal with recently. I placed an order as they were going through a change in their location, and they communicated throughout about what was going on and when I could expect the order to ship. I've only seen positive comments about them on the forums as well.

Al Mar sucks. I've been told on the phone 3 times that they'll send me a new pocket clip and screws for my Eagle and it still hasn't happened.
Himalayan Imports has been my best experience.--KV

:thumbsdown::thumbsdown::thumbsdown:

Real Steel customer service is non-existent. Completely AWOL. I bought a S571. Great knife. I really liked it. Elmax blade shape is superb. The clip pin sheared off upon tightening as it came loose. The website says contact the seller Knife Center. I did so. They don’t inventory parts and told me to contact RS directly. No email response. Non-functional website contact. Very frustrating.

I have thought about buying a Megalodon Ti but I don’t need it as opposed to would like to have one and have declined due to my previous experience with them.

:thumbsdown::thumbsdown::thumbsdown:

ProTech--Great
Emerson--Great
Buck--Great
CRK--We'll see (right now they calling my aftermarket thumbstud "heavily customized"

I sent one of my two Buck 2018 Traditional BladeForums knives to Buck on 12-29-18 for gaping back springs and blade play. Does anyone have a suggestion as to how long I should wait to follow up? They have not confirmed that they received the knife.

I'll get back to you whenever.

I have only used ESEE and Benchmade for actual service/parts and both were great to deal with.

Medford was also very responsive to my stupid questions prior to me buying a Praetorian. Greg texted be back immediately via his cell which was a nice touch.

Last year I bought a hoback and the lock engaged to 100 percent when you went to cut anything.Im talking very, very, slight pressure.I emailed and never heard anything back so I sold the knife.I wont ever buy another either.

The only CS I've used this year has been Benchmade. They've been outstanding, as they have every time I've contacted them over the years.

Kershaw/Kai: Not great. Four different knives with all four coming back worse or same.

Kershaw Leek Carbon Fiber: would not deploy fully or lock up. Sent in twice, sent back exactly the same. Even after calling to talk with CS.

Kershaw Clash: Asked to pay for new blade, instead it was aggressively sharpened and now quite obtuse.

Kershaw Dividend: Blade came from factory with obvious bend, was returned in same condition.

Buck: Great

Buck 112 with gritty action and poor snap. Returned buffed and with good action.

Buck 112 Slim pocket clip snapped, was sent free of charge a new clip, new pre-threadlocked screws, stickers, and coupon in less than a week.

Bought a few relatively inexpensive 4" Friedrich Dick "rabbit and poultry" knives from a vendor in the U.S. Received somewhat smaller paring knives of the same general shape, same handle. Looked them up in the F. Dick catalog and didn't find them. I emailed F. Dick in Germany and received a very prompt and courteous reply. Turns out that they were evaluation samples of a pattern not sold here, just got mixed in somewhere along the line. I contacted the reseller and had the correct items delivered in 2-3 days. I then asked the reseller what to do with the others and they told me to keep them for my troubles. Hats off to F. Dick and Mad Cow Cutlery.

Thumbstud seems like such a minor thing, but they are press fitted and if too tight could crack the blade at any time now or in the future, so it is reasonable they would no longer cover the blade. Makers don't like taking responsibility for problems resulting from others work.
I have found them to be pretty reasonable onsuch things, but you may or may not.[/QUOTE]

CRK--We'll see (right now they calling my aftermarket thumbstud "heavily customized"

Thumbstud seems like such a minor thing, but they are press fitted and if too tight could crack the blade at any time now or in the future, so it is reasonable they would no longer cover the blade. Makers don't like taking responsibility for problems resulting from others work.
I have found them to be pretty reasonable on such things, but you may or may not.[/QUOTE]

Back