• The rules for The Exchange can be found here. Please read and follow them. Stop using Paypal Friends & Family and follow our best practices to prevent getting ripped off or having a bad deal.

Your recent customer service experience?

Thumbstud seems like such a minor thing, but they are press fitted and if too tight could crack the blade at any time now or in the future, so it is reasonable they would no longer cover the blade. Makers don't like taking responsibility for problems resulting from others work.
I have found them to be pretty reasonable on such things, but you may or may not.
[/QUOTE]

I did’t send it in for anything with the blade, it’s in to get the pocket clip screw removed and the handle engraved.

I sent one of my two Buck 2018 Traditional BladeForums knives to Buck on 12-29-18 for gaping back springs and blade play. Does anyone have a suggestion as to how long I should wait to follow up? They have not confirmed that they received the knife.

I'll get back to you whenever.
This from someone who never answers messages on the forum.

ZT/Kershaw has sent me replacement parts (clips and screws) over the years without any issues. They don't usually reply, but a few weeks, maybe a month later, I'll have the requested parts in the mail. I've never sent them a knife for sharpening or repairs, so I can't tell you how well they fair in that department (though reviews from others vary widely). The did once send me a replacement spring for a Kershaw Dimension which wasn't the exact piece I needed, but it still fit the model so I didn't pursue it further.

CKF has also sent me parts, and their communication was very prompt and friendly. Unlike ZT, they charged me for the shipping, which is fine by me.

WE knives sent me a replacement screw for one that stripped. Like CKF, their response was timely and polite. I didn't have to pay a dime, and they included a free WE-branded cap (too small for my head, but I appreciate the gesture).

And last (least recent manufacturer I've dealt with), Reate has helped me out with a number of issues. Some examples: I had a Reate Future that was sent to them for fixing at the end of 2017; it got lost in the mail, but they maintained communication with me and kept up the search, and a few months later they found the package in their local postal system then promptly repaired and returned it. They've also sent me a part for a midtech they manufactured as an OEM, the Sean Kendrick/David Mosier Hybrid Moment, which was a few years old at the time. Reate will take care of you, even if it takes a while for them to get the repairs done or send replacements.

I may be missing out some other manufacturers, but these are the experiences that come to mind (excluding custom makers and the like).

Last edited:
I sent one of my two Buck 2018 Traditional BladeForums knives to Buck on 12-29-18 for gaping back springs and blade play. Does anyone have a suggestion as to how long I should wait to follow up? They have not confirmed that they received the knife.

I'll get back to you whenever.

It's less than a month during the biggest holiday season. You should be happy if you get it back by February. It's a free service. Plus, why should they send you an e-mail that they received it? Do you need affirmation that it was received? Then you should have sent it with tracking. Do you need to be told when it will be returned? You'll get it when it comes. Every extra e-mail, contact or hand-holding with a customer increases cost and time of repair. Unlike some companies, Buck doesn't charge for repairs, thus cost control is important. Twenty years ago before internet, tracking and e-mail, you sent it in and waited. You might call if it went past 6 weeks.

In the past year I've had excellent service from Buck, William and Henry, Michael Zeiba and Bill DeShivs (just a repair not warranty work :) )

In the past, I've had good warranty experiences with Case, Buck, Cold Steel, Spyderco, Chris Reeves, Mike Franklin, Bob Terzuola, KnifeCenter and Benchmade.

My bad experiences are so long ago as to be irrelevant to the current state of a person or company's activities today.

Microtech, twice. Surprisingly decent experiences.
They work fast and send updates when they receive and send the knives out.

My only complaint is that they use UPS Ground to return knives, which I'm guessing they do as a general policy because they ship lots of automatics, but in my case I was sending them manual knives and it would have been nice to cut a week off of the delivery time with USPS First Class or Priority Mail.

@Amy-0 and the folks of @Jerry Busse - Busse Knives have been amazing to deal with whether by phone or email. Every single contact has been top notch customer service.

and @KnifeCenter has excellent service which I used twice this past year. I had a special request knife and they called me to tell me that the logo on the knife that came in wasn't perfectly clear and they asked me if I want to wait for them to re-order it, and the other was recently bought a Opinel which the factory forgot to sharpen. And they replaced it for me with no hassle!

Without doubt my best customer service has been Busse. Both for ease of purchase and solving the one and only problem I had.

I know it sounds crazy but I sometimes wish I had more problems with Busse just because they are so wonderful to deal with!;)

Back