Your recent opinion on Nick Shabazz ?

I like the guy, vids are pretty good, and I love when he forgets a part when putting a knife back together. That’ll never get old to me and it shows a genuine nature and honesty in his vids.

What's the Balrog laying in wait ?
Translation for the non reader :
What is the scary reason not to take a Delica apart? Why not take it apart repeatedly ?
and
the reason I came back to post today . . .
I just watched the YouTube on the small 31.
Rick you say the reason for angling the clip onto the frame of the knife and off of the lock bar is :
So the knife sits at a different angle in one's pocket.
I immediately did a double take.

Isn't the reason for putting the tip of the clip onto the frame is to get it oriented so it doesn't apply excessive force on an already robust lock bar !
The old one on the lock bar is exacerbated by how one grips the knife, fingers on top of the pocket clip, and so forcing the clip down on the lock bar and so applying even more un wanted resistance to unlocking the knife.

With the clip on the frame any force applied to the clip while gripping the knife to unlock it is transferred . . . benignly . . . onto the frame leaving the lock bar relatively free to swing open.
Yes ? ? ?

you seem somewhat surprised that someone who just talks a lot about knives could have a logic problem when trying to imagine practical use

nothing in his videos (for me at least) speaks to him actually using the knifes in a daily, practical, or common way
(opening a few boxes and the odd strap does not quality you as a 'knife user' imho)

I've always taken the approach his vids are useful to see one up-close, and flicked opened and closed a few dozen times and perhaps taken apart. Beyond that, I don't put much value in his lamentations etc ; )

you seem somewhat surprised that someone who just talks a lot about knives could have a logic problem when trying to imagine practical use

nothing in his videos (for me at least) speaks to him actually using the knifes in a daily, practical, or common way
(opening a few boxes and the odd strap does not quality you as a 'knife user' imho)

I've always taken the approach his vids are useful to see one up-close, and flicked opened and closed a few dozen times and perhaps taken apart. Beyond that, I don't put much value in his lamentations etc ; )

I don't think Nick would *want* you to put much value in his views. I think he takes great care to make clear that his opinions are exactly that--opinions. Your mileage may vary. I appreciate the fact that he takes care to explain *why* he holds a particular opinion to allow the viewer to make his or her own value judgments.

As an aside, as someone who has had a knife in his pocket every day for the past 50 years or so, what must I do to qualify as a "knife user"? Skin an elk?

In todays world of knife experts. He is at the top of his game . Doesn't waste your time on cut tests , hardness tests

Jake

I like his reviews and find I share a lot of the same opinions, so I generally trust what he says. I find his videos super helpful when trying to figure out if I want a certain knife or not. He's talked me out of a lot of knives I would have definitely regretted buying and I appreciate that.

He's pretty up front about how he uses his knives, and has stressed that he's not out there doing hard physical labour with pocket knives. He's a scientist who uses his EDC knife in the same way most people do, cutting open packaging or the odd piece of fruit. In fact he probably uses his more than your average person given he's talked about using certain knives like his Razel in around-the-house DIY work and maintenance. I know when I'm doing stuff around the house I don't reach for a pocket knife generally.

"opening a few boxes and the odd strap does not quality you as a 'knife user' imho"

So using a knife doesn't make you a knife user unless you use it to the degree you've arbitrarily come up with in your head? That's a weird thing to gatekeep. If he's not a "real" knife user, very few people are, including most of this forum. Most of us are just regular people who happen to be knife enthusiasts.

Can't say I've ever really thought about carrying a knife at the gym. I don't carry a knife for defence and can't think of any other uses for one in that setting. That said, if I had to, probably my Piranha P1. It's thin and lightweight and I've clipped it to the inside of my gym shorts before while going out for a walk on a hot day.

I don't think Nick would *want* you to put much value in his views. I think he takes great care to make clear that his opinions are exactly that--opinions. Your mileage may vary. I appreciate the fact that he takes care to explain *why* he holds a particular opinion to allow the viewer to make his or her own value judgments.

As an aside, as someone who has had a knife in his pocket every day for the past 50 years or so, what must I do to qualify as a "knife user"? Skin an elk?

I think I need to start carrying a spoon instead of a knife since I'm not out in the wild using a knife all day, everyday. If you find out how to become a real "knife user", pass it along to me...

Me 2. Since the middle 60s a knife has been in my pocket. Nothing is funnier than someone trying to use scissor to cut with .

...Nothing is funnier than someone trying to use scissor to cut with .

Agreed. The sad thing is people will claim that nobody really needs a pocket knife in an urban setting. Then they will reach for a pair of scissors.

But, the icing on the cake is this... those same people will complain about the condition of the scissors the next time they are used. How they are made out of poor materials, and how co-workers never take care of office equipment, etc.

The next step is when workers start hiding scissors so that they have a "good pair."

Who? I dunno who/what he is.

Did you just read the title of the thread and then post? I ask because there are plenty of context clues to glean that info if you had read even just the first page.
Seriously. The man himself has commented in this thread.

Knowing the topic and reading the thread always helps when posting in a thread.

ELK! That's passe!
REAL knife users have skinned a unicorn.
SUPER knife users have done a chromatic dragon or two.

Back