Your recent opinion on Nick Shabazz ?

I can't stand his laughter. Also, a lot of the knives he reviews are knives I will never buy, because I can't bring myself to spend over $200 for a knife.

Other than those two points, I generally like him and watch most of his reviews. He and I can agree on at least one thing - he wants purpose-built hard-use folders to still cut well. I do, too. He addresses the EDC aspect of knives and I appreciate that.

As for actual hard-use, there are other knife reviewers for that.

Love his format and his humor. He is always my go-to reviewer for EDC knives. After owning a number of knives he’s reviewed, I have a better feel for how to make use of his reviews. I do feel like he’s getting a little less critical recently. Maybe he’s just being more selective in what he reviews. That said, I think he went a bit easy on the Kapara, letting things slide that he’s dinged other knives for.

He’s a human and biased too. He was really taken by the Kapara and thus was maybe less objective.

I like that he goes into more detail on things knife guys care about. Things like free spinning pivots, plunge grinds/sharpening choil, screws that strip, etc. Most you tube reviewes consist of “this knife is so comfortable in hand, CHECK OUT THIS JIMPING!!!!” Plus he disassembles knives too which is something I want to know. Will I be able to maintain this 500$ knife?

That said he is a living stereotype for my people.

I appreciate his videos for what they are: overviews of folding knives from his unique EDC perspective.

I don't personally agree with him on a lot of points (size and weight, "murderyness", pocket peckers, etc) but at the very least he's consistent with what issues he cares about. He's also one of the very few reviewers who will absolutely crap on a knife when it needs crapping on, and that's rare in this day and age.

The accent is really something.

I like his reviews, despite some differences in personal preferences. He tends to be more critical than most other knife channels which is quite nice.

He seems like a good person, I like his sense of humor, and most importantly he points out what he notices. I don't care so much whether he considers what he points at as good, great, bad, or ugly, because sometimes I consider something he likes to be a negative, but the fact that he points it out lets me know what I'm getting into - and ultimately that's what I'm looking for when I check knife reviews. On top of that, his disassembly videos can also be helpful, and I think are especially good resources for people new to knives.

All told, I haven't watched any of his videos in awhile because he hasn't reviewed anything that's piqued my interest, but I think he's a great piece of the community for both his knife reviews and his humor videos (to this day his batoning a Mnandi video is one of my favorite videos from this community).

Yeah, that’s me. Please forgive me for anything I say when I don’t have coffee in my system. In that altered state, you may wonder how such a moron found the record button.

@marchone I hope to live up to that! If I succeed, I hope to not bore people along the way.

I like what I see so far, you're pleasant to listen to and cohesive. :thumbsup:

Do enjoy his reviews and try to see if he has one any time I'm considering a knife. He tends to point things out that I wouldn't even have thought to look at. I can also credit him with influencing me to make the Delica my first "good" folder purchase, which I've had no regrets with.

I really like him.

There's so many reviewers that A) Are just 100% positive about a knife or B) 100% Negative. Where as Nick, I think points out both and then lets you make up your own mind. He really does point out the "The good, the bad, and the ugly"

Thanks so much, everybody, for the kind words and the honest feedback. I can't respond to all of you at once, but know that I read your posts, and take what you're sharing to heart (where healthy!), good, great, bad, and ugly.

One thing I did want to directly address is the shift in "tone" towards positivity. This is actually by design. I'm in a new position, where I have less time to slog through tons of gear, so I'm taking a different tack, trying to find the best of the best at a variety of price points, and just skipping past the bloodbaths and the companies who are acting poorly towards the community. I talk a bit more about it in this video, although it's also worth noting that I'm still getting through posting some backlog videos filmed before this shift in orientation. So, there's truth there, but I hope people understand that I'm still trying to be just as critical, but just making an effort to focus on gear that stands up well to scrutiny.

As for the Kapara, I stand by the review, but certainly in many reviews, my (continuing) enthusiasm for the whole of the piece can affect my overall view. Alas, I am a subjective human, and every one of my videos provides my subjective views. I hope the video was still useful, even if you didn't agree with my conclusions!

Again, thanks everybody for watching, interacting, supporting my crazy journey in this community, and for the kind (and constructive) words here.

Thanks so much, everybody, for the kind words and the honest feedback. I can't respond to all of you at once, but know that I read your posts, and take what you're sharing to heart (where healthy!), good, great, bad, and ugly.

One thing I did want to directly address is the shift in "tone" towards positivity. This is actually by design. I'm in a new position, where I have less time to slog through tons of gear, so I'm taking a different tack, trying to find the best of the best at a variety of price points, and just skipping past the bloodbaths and the companies who are acting poorly towards the community. I talk a bit more about it in this video, although it's also worth noting that I'm still getting through posting some backlog videos filmed before this shift in orientation. So, there's truth there, but I hope people understand that I'm still trying to be just as critical, but just making an effort to focus on gear that stands up well to scrutiny.

As for the Kapara, I stand by the review, but certainly in many reviews, my (continuing) enthusiasm for the whole of the piece can affect my overall view. Alas, I am a subjective human, and every one of my videos provides my subjective views. I hope the video was still useful, even if you didn't agree with my conclusions!

Again, thanks everybody for watching, interacting, supporting my crazy journey in this community, and for the kind (and constructive) words here.

Op here. Just to be clear, when I called you the Good Guy Greg of the knife world, it was meant in a positive way ! You'd make a great uncle.

dont care for his videos....just too long winded like most of the video reviewers and I just dont like reviewing for the most part............but he handles criticism well and that I respect highly so I'm in the like camp.

My opinion is that he is a guy on YouTube.
I don't watch much YouTube...but I did like the disassembly of the Micro Praetorian done in "secret Russian lab." :D

I like him, I like his own style of reviews. When I want to buy a knife, I watch a lot of reviews, not for information, but more for opinions.
And if someone dont like ..................(insert name here) youtuber, then dont just say he is bad at this and this, say what he can do better. Or, make your own review and show the whole world, that you can make top quallity knife review too.

Back