Your recent opinion on Nick Shabazz ?

I like Nick`s reviews, once you get a hold on his view on the subject, he gives reliable information and he have a kind of funny constructive criticism that I like a lot. His taste in knives are a bit singular, but who am I to judge that. I find his videos interesting and Yeah, His voice and accent are quite entertaining I must say :p

Yeah, that’s me. Please forgive me for anything I say when I don’t have coffee in my system. In that altered state, you may wonder how such a moron found the record button.

You are kidding, right... I been following your channel for a while now, and. Your Fit & Finish video is one of the most concise ever made on the internet sir. :thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

I lack the Parkinson's and hearing impairment required to enjoy his presentation. I do watch the disassembly vids to view the guts of knives I am interested in, but I mute them.

Basically he's a sound tech that thinks he's a machinist on top of being a near full time fashion blogger. 90% of his knife use consists of bouncing light into a photo sensor. 95% even. The rest of it is opening overpriced #lookatmetooalsomorestill instsgram goodies, cutting open bubble packs full of zip ties, cutting zip ties, prepping lunch for its picture, and maybe stripping a wire or 2 sometime.

I'd say Pete (Cedric and Ada oudtoors) has more use time in a rope cut test on one edge configuration than the combined use of a month's worth of Shabazz' knife video props - which is why I value his performance analysis over pretty much anyone else's on the yootoobuh kniferbro circuit.

That's why I canned one from my sub list and not the other. I really, REALLY doubt Pete is going to ever try and convince me a plain jane leather belt is totally worth 200+ dollars. Unlike some folks with lil backscratcher hands.

I lack the Parkinson's and hearing impairment required to enjoy his presentation. I do watch the disassembly vids to view the guts of knives I am interested in, but I mute them.

Basically he's a sound tech that thinks he's a machinist on top of being a near full time fashion blogger. 90% of his knife use consists of bouncing light into a photo sensor. 95% even. The rest of it is opening overpriced #lookatmetooalsomorestill instsgram goodies, cutting open bubble packs full of zip ties, cutting zip ties, prepping lunch for its picture, and maybe stripping a wire or 2 sometime.

I'd say Pete (Cedric and Ada oudtoors) has more use time in a rope cut test on one edge configuration than the combined use of a month's worth of Shabazz' knife video props - which is why I value his performance analysis over pretty much anyone else's on the yootoobuh kniferbro circuit.

That's why I canned one from my sub list and not the other. I really, REALLY doubt Pete is going to ever try and convince me a plain jane leather belt is totally worth 200+ dollars. Unlike some folks with lil backscratcher hands.

I try to keep my cool, but sometimes, you have to push back on a comment. Here, you refer to me as a 'near full time fashion blogger'. Although I've come to terms with the fact that I'm a fashion blogger, I am nowhere near full time! I have a day job which I enjoy very much, thank you! :p

I agree completely, Pete of Cedric and Ada Gear and Outdoors is way better at this than I am. So is Advanced Knife Bro, for that matter. If you're reading this and not subscribed to them, you're missing out.

(Also, 'little backscratcher hands'!!! )

As a new'ish-to-the-hobby knife guy (2+ yrs) I am a Shabazz fan...but I agree with all the comments. Having a knife for only 1 week and having an opinion is not as well informed as someone who has the same tool for 6-9 years. I know this, so I factor in his opinion vs. all the other tubers, as well as the fine ladies and gents here on BF and other places.
I appreciate NickShabazz, AdvancedKnifeBro, Cedric/Ada, Banter247, DrFrunk, Skelton, KevinCleary, etc. Shine on you crazy diamond(s)!

You are kidding, right... I been following your channel for a while now, and. Your Fit & Finish video is one of the most concise ever made on the internet sir. :thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

Thank you for the kind words. I’m struggling a bit today with day job related exhaustion (NEDE MOR KAWFIE EN MY FAYSE), so that lift is especially effective.

I like Nick's channel content and format. But seriously Nick, cut something. Paper, cardboard, mail, tape, plastic bags...something.

As a viewer, it's a visual learning experience. One that a lot of people might use to decide which knives to buy or not.

It's a cutting tool. Cut stuff. Print out examples of Nicks nit picks on some material and slice through it. Image of a chubby bunny...slice. Image of a pocket pecker...slice. A fuller loaded with cheese and motor oil...slice, slice. Whatever is ugly about that particular knife have an image printed and demonstrate the tools cutting abilities by slicing through it. ;)

I like his reviews because they are the same type of knives I like. Flippers under 3.5" and were using them for the same basic tasks opening boxes etc. These are not survival knives or bug out knifes their office knives. I live in a big ugly city if they drop a nuke I hope it hits square on my house I don't want to survive to eat worms and rats. I am not going to get lost in the woods for 3 months and have to survive I live in a damn desert and unless your "survival" knife has a built in canteen it ain't going to help you either, no your not going to butcher a cactus and survive. No I don't own a Spyderco and probably never will.

I don't like youtube reviews in general, and Nick is no exception. Sorry!
I prefer reading reviews from forum users.

I like his videos just fine. I primarily watch any knife video for basic info and a better look at knives. My only gripe is his “thin behind the edge” thing. Like Nutnfancy’s less is better (talking about lightweights), I don’t like how several loud voices have dictated what companies think we all want. Liking those things is all fine and great, but it’s not necessarily what I want.

I watch for the same reasons, just to get an idea of what's out there and what I should save for next. I think sometimes his criticisms can be highly specific, because he's a highly specific kinda guy, and the edge thickness is a big one. Some of his hallmark criticisms seem to only come into play against very strong knives that are otherwise hard to find a shortcoming on. Like when he spends a full minute talking about blade length laws as it pertains to a 2.75" or 3.25" knife, it's a sign that the knife is probably solid. Few places have blade length limits below 3.5", and the places that do are generally cities or counties, not entire states. And the only 2.5" jurisdiction I know of is Boston, and Federal buildings.

I appreciate his general effort at consistency and I feel like if I see his review plus a couple others like Zelrick or Kevin Clearly, I will have a very good impression of the knife. I've got to know the reviewers to get the most out of their videos, but they're consistent and do a better job of demonstrating knives than conventional marketing ever did.

I enjoy Nick’s channel and think his vids are better than most. My tastes and views on pocket knives differ from his but I like watching YouTube videos to gain knowledge on blades that I may consider purchasing. That knowledge may or may not be given by the reviewer. It’s amazing what one can visually learn without even listening to the audio. The disassembly videos also give much incite to the quality and construction of a folder.

Last edited:
It feels a little odd to talk about someone who's active in the thread here, but que sera sera.

I don't have much use for YT knife reviews unless it's a blade I'm very interested in, and then I mostly want to see what it looks like in hand and in action. Specs don't always give the best impression of that. For that purpose, his videos are okay and too long, so I often don't bother with them.

That said, I find Mr. Shabazz very transparent and likable. He has a pleasant sense of humor, doesn't take himself too seriously and I think he strives to put out the best content that he can and that's a really, really good thing. Seems like a guy that it would be a lot of fun to meet and talk knives with.

I like Nick's channel content and format. But seriously Nick, cut something. Paper, cardboard, mail, tape, plastic bags...something.

The funny thing is that I have a number of people begging me to show the cut tests I do, and a roughly equal number thanking me for not wasting their time by showing cut tests. So, you're not alone in that desire, but luckily, there are lots of channels who think like you do and will provide on-screen cut tests as a necessary part of the review. As for me, my videos are too damned long as is, last thing we need is me going medieval on an amazon box for three minutes!

He's mostly seen as your good guy Greg of the knife world and his reviews seem to gather some attention. I know he wasn't really liked at the beginning but people seem to have mellowed a bit about him recently. What's your take about him ?
I like Nick, his reviews are pretty informative, entertaining, and useful when buying knives. Now the biggest thing I like is that he's consistent, generally speaking if there's something he dislikes on one knife he dislikes it on everything else, which helps keep stuff consistent from knife to knife. Overall I'm a big fan of his, keep the work up Nick!

I didn't realize there was a Nick Police.
Hahaha
I didn't read all this thread but wanted to add some positiveness.
Rare for me . . . I know.

The last one I watched was a fairly recently posted vid on the Pro Tech custom auto they sent him.
I had a good time.
His vids might seem a bit hyper or he runs through the size comparison a bit fast for some (doesn't bother me I have eagle sight and cat box reflexes) . . . I appreciate that he doesn't let them drag on for ever while he ties his shoes or feeds the cat . . .
I don't agree with everything he says but danged if he isn't right on about a lot of things and we both have the city slicker perspective (thinner and lighter can still open mail and cut up an apple).

Bottom line : I learn stuff, he has a fun entertaining camera presence, he reviews knives I am interested in. He's not afraid to take 'em apart and see what makes 'em tick (or not tick ((Ouroboros)). Never boring or slow. He has a good method with a little madness.
I'm glad he's out there !
(and boy is he out there . . . just kidding Nick :) :thumbsup:)

Last edited:
He’s pretty in depth and gives a good overall review, usually on very new products too which is nice.

There are a few good (Nick, Pete in OZ) many average (Kevin Cleary, Advanced knife bro) and a handful of really bad channels (Birdshot, Keithkevin ken).

Then you have the simple “skip over ones” of Nutnfancy (one of the most annoying humans on earth) and ApostleP and his weird evangelism interspersed babble.

I watched a Shabazz video on these Z-hunter knives where he reviewed the whole set trying his best not to say anything negative. It was hilarious. Clearly for what he does in his daily life, his needs for an EDC knife are different than mind so I take that into consideration and still enjoy the videos.

Back