Your Top Three Patterns

The ones I see as utilitarian and cool looking are the trapper, three bladed serpentine stockman, and the scoot or camper (which includes SA). And a clip point hunter such as at Buck 110 or 112 as a runner up.

1) My favorite pattern is the large stockman, from 3⅞ to 4¼ inches closed, preferably in stainless steel to use around food.
This S&M is from the 1990s, when Bill Howard was still at the helm of Queen/Schatt& Morgan.
n9W5F9t.jpg

2) Second favorite is a two-blade jack, clip and straight-edge (sheepfoot, coping, Wharncliffe), 3½ to 4 inches, stainless or carbon.
I have eurekas, gunstocks, straight jacks, equal ends, but my favorite is the teardrop, really fills the hand nicely.
AD8UgtS.jpg

3) Completing the trio is the single-blade lamb foot. This medium sized (3½") slight swayback pattern punches way above its weight.
My 2018 Guardians ebony, lovingly named RALF (for Real A$$ Lamb Foot), with my honorable mention, the alox Cadet.
5A0LWd5.jpg

I’ve been thinking about how I would respond to this thread since it began. I first found myself struggling with the definition of “pattern”; does this refer more to frame style or blade configuration? Does the wide variety of 91mm Victorinox SAKs represent a single pattern, or many? Is a 4” stockman the same pattern as a sub-3” stockman?

Then I wrestled with “top.” Are these the knives the ones I carry the most, the ones I own the most of, or those that I admire for aesthetic or sentimental reasons? And of course I had a hard time narrowing these down to three.

I finally decided I’m overthinking this. So here are three traditional knives that—on this day, at this time—I think are really cool:

First up is the Victorinox Alox Classic. This thing is *tiny*, but it squeezes more utility per cubic unit than anything else in the knife world. It’s also a stunning example of engineering genius.

21600238-0E11-4370-81E2-94D71D008DDB.jpeg

Next up is the 3” single-bladed jack. The “boy’s knife” appellation is perfectly appropriate, as it is the ideal entry point into the wonderful world of pocket knives. It’ll do just about any job for which a folding knife is the proper tool without a hint of flash or pretense.

3F52BAEA-09F3-4568-8E9D-97F26B2F2AFD.jpeg

The third knife was a challenge. I was leaning toward the stockman, because this was my first “grown up” knife, plus I’ve been carrying one for the last week, and this has reminded me of how handy having multiple blades tailored for different purposes can be. Nevertheless, I decided to go with the not-nearly-common-enough Zulu Spear. Besides being aesthetically pleasing, the blade shape is extraordinarily useful (it can make a peanut butter sandwich...or skin an elk), and the slim frame rides easy in the pocket while remaining beefy enough to conquer heavy duty tasks.

CFBC8F7E-BB0C-4C69-8D37-7ECDC839E769.jpeg

That’s my story, and I’m sticking to it. For now. Maybe.;)

Last edited:
Glad you narrowed it down to three patterns, which is still tough. Carried a scout knife as a child, and mostly small, inexpensive slipjoints or lockbacks as a young to middle-aged adult. Probably never spent more than $20 on a knife. A year and a half ago I decided I wanted a bigger and nicer pocket knife, and somehow ended up here. I now have a small but growing collection.

My top three patterns at present (you might get a different answer from me in a year) are, in no particular order of preference:

(1) Stockman. It's what I have the most of right now.
miAMGzT.jpg

The three in the middle are my favourites, and I carrry the Case medium stockman the most, even though I prefer the bigger size of the Schrade, Buck, and Colonial. I am sure I will be getting the bigger Case (3 & 7/8") soon, as it should be ideal. I prefer jigged bone to any synthetics. I love the convenience of three different blades in such a compact package.

(2) Single-blade lambsfoot. Only have two so far.
z4zxX8N.jpg

Sambar stag and desert ironwood, both from A. Wright & Son in Sheffield. Never even heard of a lambsfoot till about a year ago, via @Jack Black's thread. I was immediately intrigued by the shape of the blade. Although there are times when I like a blade with a belly, this straight edged-knife is versatile and useful. I carry one or the other most days. I prefer the stag for two reasons: (1) I just like the look and feel of stag more than wood, and (2) the blade looks more like a traditional lambsfoot blade. That is, on the ironwood knife, the spine of the blade looks ALMOST parallel to the edge, like a sheepsfoot. Plus, the fit and finish on the smaller knife is just a little bit better. But I love both, and will probably add at least one a year to my "flock."

(3) Navaja Albaceteña. Classic folding knife from Albacete, Spain.
md1248H.jpg

Just look at those sexy lines! Polished stag locking folding knife handmade by master artisan José Antonio Herreros (@ArtesaniaHerreros). All of José's knives are beautiful and elegant. I will be buying more.

There are so many other patterns I like: canoe, toothpick, Bowie, trapper, laguiole, etc., but these would be my top three at the moment.

Last edited:
I'm a retired Soldier but work as a building materials sales rep and spend as much of my leisure time in the outdoors as I can (mostly hunting and fishing). My three top knife patterns (three I could get along with if that was all I could have) are:
1.) EDC for work and leisure - Medium size Stockman from 3-3/8" to 3-3/4". My top favorites are the two Case Medium Stockman patterns 6318 & 6332, but also carry a Buck 303 or Schrade USA 34OT. Work use leans heavily on the Sheepfoot for scoring drywall. The other blades get used for any purpose needed (including cutting food, I'm not choosy about retaining a special blade for that use).
2.) General outdoors use (to include cutting up game and fish) - Buck 110 - normally in regular weight and sometimes in the lightweight versions. I will also substitute a Buck 112 or Case Hammerhead on occasion. Good bait knife and good skinning knife - I use it as a backup to my fixed blade when gutting an animal, just in case I get one tainted - don't want the meat to get contaminated by animal excretions.
3.) Specifically for game cleaning (prefer over the 110 for this purpose) - Buck 118, best deer hunters knife I have ever owned. I will substitute a Buck 102 for waterfowl and pheasant, and a Buck 121 for cleaning fish and wild turkey (the flexible blade works great when breasting).
Some of my favorites of each type pictured below. OH
Case-3318-HE-CV-ten-dot.jpg

Buck-110-1988.jpg

Buck-118-circa-1968-71.jpg

Last edited:
1. 3.5” Lambsfoot (swayback handled single blader, of course).
WTEY8fo.jpg

2. Stockman. I like ‘em all, but the punch or harness stockman (like the Schrade 36OT or Case 3318PU) is probably my favourite type.
dlxRo8k.jpg

3. Scout pattern. My favourite, or at least my most used version by a country mile, is the SAK Pioneer.
39he6ZM.jpg

Last edited:
I'm sure it's no surprise to anyone that my favorite pattern is the scout. Probably 50% of my traditional knife collection is composed of scouts from various ages, and of different sizes. The main focus of my collection is Camillus war era scouts, but I've got all kinds. My first knife was a scout, given to me by my dad, and it's still my favorite pattern to carry.

A scout is more than just a selection of usually 4 tools on an equal end frame, usually a spear blade, punch/awl, can opener and cap lifter. The scout knife is an ideal of preparedness. A tool for whatever life throws at you. A knife to help kids to learn more about the outdoors, as well as themselves. A knife used by men during war. The scout knife is a history of the last century.

To be honest, after the scout, I don't think I have another favorite pattern. I have specific models that I enjoy, such as the GEC 43 Oregon Trapper, the GEC Northfield 77 Barlow, and the Case medium punch stockman. But those loves are not for the patterns themselves, but that specific execution of those patterns.

7MFplGbh.jpg

A scout is more than just a selection of usually 4 tools on an equal end frame, usually a spear blade, punch/awl, can opener and cap lifter. The scout knife is an ideal of preparedness. A tool for whatever life throws at you. A knife to help kids to learn more about the outdoors, as well as themselves. A knife used by men during war. The scout knife is a history of the last century.

:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

I give that statement a five out of five thumbs up. Truer words have never been spoken, and the scout knifes a knife that is almost beyond praise. I know that it has been my go-to pocketknife of most of my life, with some fooling around with the 'other' patterns. War or peace, city or country, a scout knife is never a bad thing.

My top two are easy.

1a) Double-end jack (or pen) with one bellied blade and one straight edge. CSC's 2015 forum knife spent the entirety of 2018--plus the first month and change of 2019--as my sole edc. I've been looking forward to carrying the new Buck forum knife, but I haven't yet gotten around to putting my own edge on it, so it'll have to wait until I stop procrastinating and get that done.

1b) Single blade jack with a straight edge. I've had one of GEC's stag Pembertons with a wharncliffe blade in my pocket since I bought it in February. I'm also itching to give some pocket time to my stag CSC boy's knife with a sheepsfoot blade, but it's currently off for repair.

3) My third favorite pattern is a lot tougher to figure out. Split back whittler maybe? A two-layer SAK like a Pioneer or a Cadet?

I'll take a stab at this. :)
1. Single clip blade trapper, 3.5 to 4". I like one bladers because they're easy on the pocket, do pretty much whatever I need done and I like the feel of the pattern and the absence of hot spots because of additional blades.
2. Single wharncliffe blade trapper, 3.5 to 4". My reasoning is the same as detailed in #1.
3. The Peanut pattern is my favorite for small knife carry. Preferably with a clip main and wharncliffe secondary. It just does everything I need a little knife to do.

It's probably obvious I like clip and wharncliffe blades.

I'm a retired Soldier but work as a building materials sales rep and spend as much of my leisure time in the outdoors as I can (mostly hunting and fishing). My three top knife patterns (three I could get along with if that was all I could have) are:
1.) EDC for work and leisure - Medium size Stockman from 3-3/8" to 3-3/4". My top favorites are the two Case Medium Stockman patterns 6318 & 6332, but also carry a Buck 303 or Schrade USA 34OT. Work use leans heavily on the Sheepfoot for scoring drywall. The other blades get used for any purpose needed (including cutting food, I'm not choosy about retaining a special blade for that use).
2.) General outdoors use (to include cutting up game and fish) - Buck 110 - normally in regular weight and sometimes in the lightweight versions. I will also substitute a Buck 112 or Case Hammerhead on occasion. Good bait knife and good skinning knife - I use it as a backup to my fixed blade when gutting an animal, just in case I get one tainted - don't want the meat to get contaminated by animal excretions.
3.) Specifically for game cleaning (prefer over the 110 for this purpose) - Buck 118, best deer hunters knife I have ever owned. I will substitute a Buck 102 for waterfowl and pheasant, and a Buck 121 for cleaning fish and wild turkey (the flexible blade works great when breasting).
Some of my favorites of each type pictured below. OH
Case-3318-HE-CV-ten-dot.jpg

Buck-110-1988.jpg

Buck-118-circa-1968-71.jpg
These are exactly what I would expect from a guy with the screen name "Old Hunter" ;):thumbsup: All 3 are of my favorite knives for deer camp. I'm really fond of my 2001 Buck Diamondback 476 w/ 420HC stainless... I have not seen many of these around, a few pop up in the auctions online. Although it is made in Taiwan, I like it the best of all my knives for dressing a deer, it's 7" overall with a 3-1/2" blade and the rubber handle is GREAT for grip in the tough to reach spots :thumbsup:
BUCK476-1A.JPG BUCK476-1B.JPG

Back