Your Traditional Knife of 2019

Jack, I've been looking forward to this thread, it always ends up being somewhat thought provoking to me.

This year saw me buy a great many knives and since I am still in the habit of acquiring far more than I manage to sell or give away, I've had quite a selection to ponder.

I've had several knives this year that impacted me and so, borrowing from the format I've used in the past years, I will mention my runner-ups and honorable mentions. Bearing in mind, of course, that there can only be one (queue Highlander...).

This was a terrific year for Jack as he was able to (through no small amount of consternation and effort) bring us Guardians a stellar selection of very fine cutlery. Each one of them is a fantastic gem and I cherish them greatly, they will never leave my collection (although I did gift one of the Ironwoods to my son).

As fine as they are though, it was very difficult to knock my AC Lambsfoot from its lofty perch, as it was my 2018 Knife of the Year. That said, any one of these would serve as a suitable runner-up.

KLDu398.jpg

Aside from a good Lambsfoot, there isn't much that pleases me more than a swell end 2-bladed Jack. I was able to acquire a couple of extraordinary examples. One of them was a kind gift from Charlie himself and the 86 is an exceptional SFO from Barry. The Shapleigh itself warms the heart and I find it to be a very special knife.

NqpE7mL.jpg

The biggest surprise for me in terms of a knife that I didn't think I would take to but ended up falling for is the GEC #29. I didn't secure any reserves on the pattern and only happened to scoop one up when I saw some Stag that caught my eye. I was supremely surprised at how well I took to the pattern, being not only quite comfortable but also incredibly versatile. I bought it to keep in the case mostly but it has gotten a fair amount of pocket time. It serves as my final runner-up.

7CpNv3l.jpg

An honorable mention goes out to this Anniversary Edition GEC #15 in Red Soup Bone. It is a knife that I've admired from afar for quite some time and was finally able to take advantage of good timing and opportunity with the help of a good friend (Thanks again, Duncan!).

xOk9xmQ.jpg

Well, as it is said - "There can only be one!". I didn't have to think long and hard about my choice in this regard as it pertains to the one knife that has likely been in my pocket the most. It is with me when I am at my desk, it is my go to when leaving home, and it proves to suit my needs in such a superb fashion day after day.

From the first moment that I heard that Charlie was finally able to see a vision come true, I knew that it was going to be a very special knife. As soon as it arrived (with it's Ebony clad brother soon after), I knew that I would be hard pressed to find a better knife. Charlie's Waynorth Lambfoot knives are the epitome of cutlery perfection. Not only did Charlie provide an impeccable design for GEC to follow but GEC's execution of all of the details - from the graceful sway, the long nimble blade, the superb classic touches like the stamps, etches, and bolsters, and the perfect action - it is an absolutely superb example of traditional cutlery.

I had a difficult time choosing between the Ebony and the Jigged Bone at first when choosing one to carry/use regularly but I eventually settled on the Bone version. It quickly became a fast favorite and continues to age rather gracefully as the steel bolsters dull and the blade darkens. A quick strop here and there keeps the edge keen and I suspect that the bone is starting to smooth a bit more with carry. I am intrigued with the idea of how it will look years from now.

This is the third year running where a Lambsfoot knife has been my knife of the year. It makes me curious what next year might bring...

uRz9ZgS.jpg

LPWJjdF.jpg

gw6aQPd.jpg

1EVTKtb.jpg

c7F5Oqx.jpg

Thank you very much Dylan, awesome prose and photos both, a real treat to read and appreciate, and a fantastic choice as your 2019 KOTY :) :thumbsup:

I've been waiting for this yearly thread of yours to appear, Jack! It's always good to reflect and realize that there may or may not be a knife that one has taken a shine to.

I've bought several knives this year: Five 2019 Case Barlows, several stockman patterns and other ones. The Barlows and stockman knives are both patterns I collect, but I've tried out a few patterns also.

One which I've looked at and considered over the years but never actually bought is the Case Texas Jack. This year in October I finally bought one (I already had about 100 Case knives but never one of these). It's Ok I thought, nothing special, I'll carry it once in awhile. But, over time I started having it with me when I walked, in my pocket around the house, on my nightstand at night. Yes, it has become my favorite knife. It doesn't appear in my posts often, but it's with me more often than not.

So, my 2019 Knife is Case's Texas Jack, specifically this one.

View attachment 1250875

Great post Dean :) The Case Texas Jack was one of my first US traditionals, and I think it's a great pattern, one I feel bad about not carrying more myself. Unfortunately, not long after getting the Texas Jack, I got a GEC #66 Serpentine Jack, and it kind of overshadowed the Case :( :thumbsup:

So I just realized my first post in this thread was in error because I have not used the knife that I chose as my knife of the year. It's still my knife of the year (for the collection pile) but in keeping with Jack's rules I will pick one that I received and used in 2019.

Hands down my knife of the year that I've used is Old Patchy. The imperfect schrade walden 856 jr cattle knife. It was not expensive, bought as a lot with another knife in april. At first I bought it impulsively because I am impulsive about accumulating this pattern but I have ended up carrying this knife very frequently ever since. It's not the nicest or prettiest 856 I have but I've become very attached to it. Somebody cared about it enough to patch the broken bone a long time ago and it's that imperfection that makes it endearing to me. It has great snap and all that other necessary stuff, thin blades that cut so very well, all in a beautifully shaped and compact package. It went with me to arkansas when my uncle was in trouble, it went to the rocky mountains for vacation, various locales for enduro races and subsequent hiking with my dog. I've carried it at work and off work. I carried it so much that the patches have lost most of their orange varnish they had and broke loose of the bone which started flexing around. I epoxied it back solid and it ended up drying with the bone slightly proud of the liner (still kind of irritating) but it's useable once more. Imperfect and keeping with its tradition. I will use this knife for many years to come. I never beat on it, it's always used with care and for longevity in mind. Maybe someday I'll have to redo the patches anew, or get old bone to patch it back with. Who knows? It will keep trucking.

IMG_6250.JPG
IMG_5059_Original.JPG

Here it is when first received.

IMG_6261.jpg

I have to include the runner up. 82 dixie stockman, bought new early in the year and used a lot. I already did a long write up so I'll keep this one short. Just a wonderful design executed with fantastic quality.

IMG_6251.JPG

Last edited:
Apologies to Jack, I forgot the rules of this thread when I posted. I posted a couple of collection knives, not a new one I carried. I have not changed my carry knife for years.
I don't have a bike to get on, but I am hightailing it out of here!

For me it is my very special ebony lambsfoot, my loyal companion on my walks this year.
It inspired the series "A Walk in Nature" with more than 200 pictures ( so far :) ) where I try to capture, pay more attention and appreciate nature's gifts around me.
Album:
https://imgur.com/a/S5jZPtE

uGsRER7.jpg

oAXQag0.jpg

XdzNzsp.jpg

AlOsl0m.jpg

KsCU6s2.jpg

BcW3FAo.jpg

BSqHlqz.jpg

Wow, you are like Adam in Eden, or Dr. Doolittle! What great pictures (and a great knife, too!)

Two years ago for Christmas my good friend and hunting buddy gifted me a knife that has been with me everyday since and out of dedication to him will continue to be. This year in January I received my first lambsfoot and it has now caused me to carry two knives.
Meet Rosie, first photo is her on a pheasant hunt in January, just after I received her. Second is a beauty shot and the third is of her in elk country on this years hunt. Last photo is her with her family and friends. She is my traditional knife of 2019.
IMG_0860.JPG

IMG_1295.JPG

IMG_1338.JPG

DSC_0353.JPG

PS Thank you Jack and Charlie!

For me it is my very special ebony lambsfoot, my loyal companion on my walks this year.
It inspired the series "A Walk in Nature" with more than 200 pictures ( so far :) ) where I try to capture, pay more attention and appreciate nature's gifts around me.
Album:
https://imgur.com/a/S5jZPtE

uGsRER7.jpg

oAXQag0.jpg

XdzNzsp.jpg

AlOsl0m.jpg

KsCU6s2.jpg

BcW3FAo.jpg

BSqHlqz.jpg

Those photos are incredible Dan, well done :) :thumbsup:

So I just realized my first post in this thread was in error because I have not used the knife that I chose as my knife of the year. It's still my knife of the year (for the collection pile) but in keeping with Jack's rules I will pick one that I received and used in 2019.

Hands down my knife of the year that I've used is Old Patchy. The imperfect schrade walden 856 jr cattle knife. It was not expensive, bought as a lot with another knife in april. At first I bought it impulsively because I am impulsive about accumulating this pattern but I have ended up carrying this knife very frequently ever since. It's not the nicest or prettiest 856 I have but I've become very attached to it. Somebody cared about it enough to patch the broken bone a long time ago and it's that imperfection that makes it endearing to me. It has great snap and all that other necessary stuff, thin blades that cut so very well, all in a beautifully shaped and compact package. It went with me to arkansas when my uncle was in trouble, it went to the rocky mountains for vacation, various locales for enduro races and subsequent hiking with my dog. I've carried it at work and off work. I carried it so much that the patches have lost most of their orange varnish they had and broke loose of the bone which started flexing around. I epoxied it back solid and it ended up drying with the bone slightly proud of the liner (still kind of irritating) but it's useable once more. Imperfect and keeping with its tradition. I will use this knife for many years to come. I never beat on it, it's always used with care and for longevity in mind. Maybe someday I'll have to redo the patches anew, or get old bone to patch it back with. Who knows? It will keep trucking.

View attachment 1251005
View attachment 1251023

Here it is when first received.

View attachment 1251025

I have to include the runner up. 82 dixie stockman, bought new early in the year and used a lot. I already did a long write up so I'll keep this one short. Just a wonderful design executed with fantastic quality.

View attachment 1251004

That's some great patching Paul :) :thumbsup:

Apologies to Jack, I forgot the rules of this thread when I posted. I posted a couple of collection knives, not a new one I carried. I have not changed my carry knife for years.
I don't have a bike to get on, but I am hightailing it out of here!

No worries Dan! :D :thumbsup:

Two years ago for Christmas my good friend and hunting buddy gifted me a knife that has been with me everyday since and out of dedication to him will continue to be. This year in January I received my first lambsfoot and it has now caused me to carry two knives.
Meet Rosie, first photo is her on a pheasant hunt in January, just after I received her. Second is a beauty shot and the third is of her in elk country on this years hunt. Last photo is her with her family and friends. She is my traditional knife of 2019.
IMG_0860.JPG

IMG_1295.JPG

IMG_1338.JPG

DSC_0353.JPG

PS Thank you Jack and Charlie!

Great to see you here Preston, and those are wonderful pics, that is quite a Lambsfoot line-up :) :thumbsup:

I wanted to pick one of Charlie’s Waynorth Lambsfoot knives. These were executed perfectly. These may have the best walk & talk of any pocket knife I have ever handled. I love the way the knife reverberates when it snaps into the next position. These may become my favorites, but for now I did not choose them simply because I haven’t used them. I am not sure why, probably because these are so precious. These are the first with the Waynorth tang stamp. So my “Knife of the Year” award will go to another knife that I’ve actually enjoyed carrying and using.

In the end, I choose the Antique Autumn Camel Bone 92 mainly because it is just so beautiful. The pattern is a favorite of mine because of the beautiful shape, but this is example is on another level. The bone color is gorgeous and it is very translucent so you can see deep into the bone. The shield is a great look for this pattern. And finally the action of this one and all of the 92’s from this run is superb.

Vhczrzc.jpg

OYbdL05.jpg
KS5bg8Q.jpg

Wow, you are like Adam in Eden, or Dr. Doolittle! What great pictures (and a great knife, too!)

I was thinking the same thing JTB. Wile I've seen people feeding birds and squirrels in the park many times that shot of the deer really surprised me.:eek: I guess my City Slicker roots are showing lol.:D

Wow, the "Animal Whisperer" :)
Great shots!

Those photos are incredible Dan, well done :) :thumbsup:

TY Guys :) :D
I am fortunate to live very close to a bird sanctuary on the shores of the Saint Lawrence river where birds and squirrels are accustomed to folks feeding them . Also live not too far from a park in Quebec ( Omega Park) where deer roam the trails and are used to being fed.
I started hiking/walking the trails this past April after a brutal winter here in Canada.
Walking regularly has helped me loose weight, get in better shape and deal with some big stresses in my life.
Carrying my lambsfoot and looking for photo opportunities was helpful to motivate me to keep exercising on a regular basis until it became a habit :thumbsup:

I wanted to pick one of Charlie’s Waynorth Lambsfoot knives. These were executed perfectly. These may have the best walk & talk of any pocket knife I have ever handled. I love the way the knife reverberates when it snaps into the next position. These may become my favorites, but for now I did not choose them simply because I haven’t used them. I am not sure why, probably because these are so precious. These are the first with the Waynorth tang stamp. So my “Knife of the Year” award will go to another knife that I’ve actually enjoyed carrying and using.

In the end, I choose the Antique Autumn Camel Bone 92 mainly because it is just so beautiful. The pattern is a favorite of mine because of the beautiful shape, but this is example is on another level. The bone color is gorgeous and it is very translucent so you can see deep into the bone. The shield is a great look for this pattern. And finally the action of this one and all of the 92’s from this run is superb.

Vhczrzc.jpg

OYbdL05.jpg
KS5bg8Q.jpg

psssst get a blade delete!

My Case Bose chestnut bone teardrop single blade wharnie in CV gets the vote. Super knife. Love the pointy blade.
Sad day yesterday... lost my 2019 knife of the year.
Now I know why I usually carry large knives, the teardrop dropped out of the tangle of my keys and change and onto the street. Oh well. I hope the one who has it knows what they got. :(:mad::thumbsdown:

Sad day yesterday... lost my 2019 knife of the year.
Now I know why I usually carry large knives, the teardrop dropped out of the tangle of my keys and change and onto the street. Oh well. I hope the one who has it knows what they got. :(:mad::thumbsdown:
Oh man that stinks! I started using a slip for this reason, lost a case mini trapper last year. But mine wasn't near the knife yours was.

My father passed away this year. He always had a small pen knife. While cleaning up at his house I found one that he had put away and never used. He was not a collector of knives, so I assume it was simply forgotten. It now has a home on my keychain. A happy reminder of him.
E9iIcKrh.jpg

Jack, as in previous years this has been a great thread. Thank you for upholding the tradition once again.

For me 2019 was the year of the Lambfoot. Two of mine nearly became my choice for KOTY.

A serious contender for my KOTY was the Hartshead Barlow. Unfortunately for the Barlow I am aware that an evaluation can be somewhat clouded during the honeymoon stage of knife ownership. So I reserve my reviews until I'm certain that phase has passed. The Hartshead Barlow is still new to me but it is clearly worthy of at least an Honorable Mention. If for nothing else other than the fact that it is a unique knife around these here parts. It's gorgeous Sambar Stag is a favorite cover of mine and it has the kind of heft that assures one that it is a solid, durable, quality built tool. In other words good looking and hard working. Two attributes that make for a nearly unbeatable combination.

2019 Honorable Mention - Arthur Wright and Son's - Hartshead Barlow
jCqDBF7.jpg

Also narrowly missing first place through no fault of it own but coming in third place for this year is; the first ever American made Lambfoot, the Waynorth Real Lambfoot. I love everything about it. It would easily have been my number one except, I like it so much, it currently sits on a shelf for safe keeping (and the occasional fondling). So following the rules it is not qualified to be selected as KOTY in this thread.

2019 Second Runner Up - Waynorth Cutlery's Real Lambfoot
v5qc6QS.jpg

First runner up is a truly fantastic Boys Knife made by ea42 for Red Trout Knives. I am fortunate to have one since they are quite rare and it's one of those knives that has a certain something. An almost indescribable quality that is noticed each time it's handled. This knife has been carried almost daily since receiving it last summer. I like the size, materials, build quality, excellent snap and a strong pull, and it's easy to open, making it a joy to use. Cuts like the dickens and IMO looks great doing it. In general it's a superior piece of cutlery that nearly obtains custom built status. It might have been number one if it weren't for scout patterns.

First Runner Up - Red Trout's Boy's Knife
dMAcogm.jpg

My 2019 Knife of the Year Winner was selected base on usability; a well rounded EDC that was carried extensively this year, even exclusively, for three weeks. It has proven itself a most capable do-it-all knife. During the past year it fulfilled the EDC role exceedingly well. It was amazing how often I used the tools that come with this scout. Because it has a nail file, toothpick, tweezers, screw drivers, bottle/can openers, awl as well as an easy to sharpen spear blade, it seems to spend more time in my hand then in my pocket. Actually surpassing all my expectations. Comfortable to use, easy to carry and costing less than lunch for two, it's hard to beat. I appreciate it so much, that the one pictured below was purchased to be a "just-in-case" backup. I simply don't want to be without one.

2019 KOTY - Victorinox's Evolution 11

xW4fMAR.jpg

Last edited:
Jack, as in previous years this has been a great thread. Thank you for upholding the tradition once again.

For me 2019 was the year of the Lambfoot. Two of mine nearly became my choice for KOTY.

A serious contender for my KOTY was the Hartshead Barlow. Unfortunately for the Barlow I am aware that an evaluation can be somewhat clouded during the honeymoon stage of knife ownership. So I reserve my reviews until I'm certain that phase has passed. The Hartshead Barlow is still new to me but it is clearly worthy of at least an Honorable Mention. If for nothing else other than the fact that it is a unique knife around these here parts. It's gorgeous Sambar Stag is a favorite cover of mine and it has the kind of heft that assures one that it is a solid, durable, quality built tool. In other words good looking and hard working. Two attributes that make for a nearly unbeatable combination.

2019 Honorable Mention - Arthur Wright and Son's - Hartshead Barlow
jCqDBF7.jpg

Also narrowly missing first place through no fault of it own but coming in third place for this year is; the first ever American made Lambfoot, the Waynorth Real Lambfoot. I love everything about it. It would easily have been my number one except, I like it so much, it currently sits on a shelf for safe keeping (and the occasional fondling). So following the rules it is not qualified to be selected as KOTY in this thread.

2019 Second Runner Up - Waynorth Cutlery's Real Lambfoot
v5qc6QS.jpg

First runner up is a truly fantastic Boys Knife made by ea42 for Red Trout Knives. I am fortunate to have one since they are quite rare and it's one of those knives that has a certain something. An almost indescribable quality that is noticed each time it's handled. This knife has been carried almost daily since receiving it last summer. I like the size, materials, build quality, excellent snap and a strong pull, and it's easy to open, making it a joy to use. Cuts like the dickens and IMO looks great doing it. In general it's a superior piece of cutlery that nearly obtains custom built status. It might have been number one if it weren't for scout patterns.

First Runner Up - Red Trout's Boy's Knife
dMAcogm.jpg

My 2019 Knife of the Year Winner was selected base on usability; a well rounded EDC that was carried extensively this year, even exclusively, for three weeks. It has proven itself a most capable do-it-all knife. During the past year it fulfilled the EDC role exceedingly well. It was amazing how often I used the tools that come with this scout. Because it has a nail file, toothpick, tweezers, screw drivers, bottle/can openers, awl as well as an easy to sharpen spear blade, it seems to spend more time in my hand then in my pocket. Actually surpassing all my expectations. Comfortable to use, easy to carry and costing less than lunch for two, it's hard to beat. I appreciate it so much, that the one pictured below was purchased to be a "just-in-case" backup. I simply don't want to be without one.

2019 KOTY - Victorinox's Evolution 11

xW4fMAR.jpg

Thank you my friend :) What a great post, with a very interesting conclusion :) :thumbsup:

Back