Your Traditional Knife of 2019

Late in 2018 I saw an individual’s ad on another knife forum for a NOS Case 62048 slim trapper that I wanted for my collection. The seller and I both thought it was bone handled but he determined it was actually made with Delrin handles after I bought it but before he shipped it. He contacted me and offered to refund my money but I told him to ship it anyway, I wanted one for my collection. Being the kind of guy that he is, when my 62048 arrived I found the seller had included two “extras” - both late 70’s Case Knives that were used but still quite functional. One was this 1978 6332 Medium Stockman. I have owned several of the 63032 over the years, including one that is still NIB, but had never carried one being a Case 18 pattern MED Stockman fan. I tried out this surprise 6332 - nice bone, great snap, no blade wobble and minimal blade wear - just a nice old knife that had seen some use and had a lot of blade staining. I have carried this knife more than any other since getting it in mid January 2019 - it has been a real surprise to me that it pushed my Case 18 patterns out as my prime EDC. Now as a Knife-Knut I own and carry lots of pocketknives (like many of you here) but this one is my main EDC nowadays (my collection of Case 18’s still get carried but not as much as this 32). The 48 is on my shelf (where its been for the last year) and the 32 is in my pocket now. OH
Case-62048-Slim-Trapper-1972-1.jpg

Case-6332-Medium-Stockman-1978-2.jpg

Thank you my friend :) What a great post, with a very interesting conclusion :) :thumbsup:
Thanks Jack. I'm glad you enjoyed my post but I believe a correction is in order. Looking at Levine's 4th it seems what I considered a scout might better be described a "Sportsman". Thought I should set the record straight. Hope your having a great day.:thumbsup:

One was this 1978 6332 Medium Stockman. I have owned several of the 63032 over the years, including one that is still NIB, but had never carried one being a Case 18 pattern MED Stockman fan. I tried out this surprise 6332...

I have both of these in the two-blade versions (6232 and 62032). Both are nice but the older one (6232) is slimmer and a tiny bit longer and has a super nice feel. (Also, the clip on mine is really pointy.) I can see why you like yours so much. I'd carry mine more if the backsprings weren't so darn strong (like, a 7 or 8 pull)!

Jack, as in previous years this has been a great thread. Thank you for upholding the tradition once again.

For me 2019 was the year of the Lambfoot. Two of mine nearly became my choice for KOTY.

A serious contender for my KOTY was the Hartshead Barlow. Unfortunately for the Barlow I am aware that an evaluation can be somewhat clouded during the honeymoon stage of knife ownership. So I reserve my reviews until I'm certain that phase has passed. The Hartshead Barlow is still new to me but it is clearly worthy of at least an Honorable Mention. If for nothing else other than the fact that it is a unique knife around these here parts. It's gorgeous Sambar Stag is a favorite cover of mine and it has the kind of heft that assures one that it is a solid, durable, quality built tool. In other words good looking and hard working. Two attributes that make for a nearly unbeatable combination.

2019 Honorable Mention - Arthur Wright and Son's - Hartshead Barlow
jCqDBF7.jpg

Also narrowly missing first place through no fault of it own but coming in third place for this year is; the first ever American made Lambfoot, the Waynorth Real Lambfoot. I love everything about it. It would easily have been my number one except, I like it so much, it currently sits on a shelf for safe keeping (and the occasional fondling). So following the rules it is not qualified to be selected as KOTY in this thread.

2019 Second Runner Up - Waynorth Cutlery's Real Lambfoot
v5qc6QS.jpg

First runner up is a truly fantastic Boys Knife made by ea42 for Red Trout Knives. I am fortunate to have one since they are quite rare and it's one of those knives that has a certain something. An almost indescribable quality that is noticed each time it's handled. This knife has been carried almost daily since receiving it last summer. I like the size, materials, build quality, excellent snap and a strong pull, and it's easy to open, making it a joy to use. Cuts like the dickens and IMO looks great doing it. In general it's a superior piece of cutlery that nearly obtains custom built status. It might have been number one if it weren't for scout patterns.

First Runner Up - Red Trout's Boy's Knife
dMAcogm.jpg

My 2019 Knife of the Year Winner was selected base on usability; a well rounded EDC that was carried extensively this year, even exclusively, for three weeks. It has proven itself a most capable do-it-all knife. During the past year it fulfilled the EDC role exceedingly well. It was amazing how often I used the tools that come with this scout. Because it has a nail file, toothpick, tweezers, screw drivers, bottle/can openers, awl as well as an easy to sharpen spear blade, it seems to spend more time in my hand then in my pocket. Actually surpassing all my expectations. Comfortable to use, easy to carry and costing less than lunch for two, it's hard to beat. I appreciate it so much, that the one pictured below was purchased to be a "just-in-case" backup. I simply don't want to be without one.

2019 KOTY - Victorinox's Evolution 11

xW4fMAR.jpg
Great post, and an interesting choice for KOTY '19.
I've yet to add a SAK to my collection; your happiness with the Evolution 11 has me thinking I should snatch one up.
The price is certainly right :)

^^^ Thank you. Pretty sure you'll find one equally enjoyable and totally useful but be careful... there are so many SAKs.:)

It's with a bit of a sad heart that I post in this thread today, as my knife collecting has undergone such a major transformation this year. I used to collect knives with such great enthusiasm. Mostly classic scout knives, but I also looked forward to each and every new GEC release.

I started off the year with an attempt to carry the same knife every day for all of 2019. That WW2 Camillus engineers knife lasted for over five months in my pocket. Unfortunately, that knife was not purchased this year, so it does not qualify. Then for the remaining part of the year, I carried an old Victorinox SwissChamp every day, that was also not purchased this year. So it does not qualify. Yep. That's right. Two knives combined for my daily carry for 2019, and neither of them qualify for this thread. How's that for a letdown, in perhaps my favorite recurring Bladeforums thread!!!!

But that is not to say to that I didn't purchase any knives this year. I did buy a few knives. Not nearly as many as usual, but making a concerted attempt to carry as few knives as possible will do that to you. It drains the life out of a hobby centered around collecting.

Yet I did purchase the occasional GEC this year, a year that was particularly impressive. Charlie's jigged bone lambsfoot immediately comes to mind, as does Barry's bloodwood 86 SFO. Both of my 92 Eureka Jack's are glorious, as is the 2019 BladeForums knife. GEC really had a killer year. So many sensational knives.

But if I'm honest with myself, I can only get so excited about carbon steel these days. My collection has grown to the point that having to care for all of the carbon steel knives is becoming a burden. Stainless steel is just so much easier to live with.

Fortunately, I did pick up some stainless in 2019 that particularly impressed me. They may have only ridden shotgun to my two main carries, but I am very thankful to have them. I can think of two that stand out in particular, that are easily worthy of accolades. Two knives that a non-collector could purchase, and have no need for another knife. Two knives that a collector could purchase, and be utterly dazzled by.

The Case bone stag Tribal Lock wins honorable mention. I sort of bought it on a whim. I was half sure that it would be too bulky in my pocket, and not up to my quality standards. But oh how wrong I was!!! This knife is nothing sort of functional perfection. The blade grind is wonderfully thin for a knife of this size, which carries smaller than you'd expect. The grip is exceptional. Opening is smooth as silk, and the back lock disengages without trouble. Fit and finish is immaculate, and that bone stag is drop dead gorgeous. This is a highly underrated knife here on Bladeforums.

CypxquEh.jpg

My 2019 KOTY is the Case Mini-Trapper. It is similar to the Tribal Lock mentioned above, in that the covers are bone stag and the blades are Tru-Sharp stainless. The grinds are also thin enough to cut more efficiently than most modern traditionals. But this Mini-Trapper takes the top spot this year because it is so small and unassuming, and because the blade combination is so unerringly useful. The clip and wharncliffe can handle just about any ordinary EDC task with aplomb. This knife is also a joy to hold in the hand. The bone stag is thick enough that you can really get a grip on it. Fit and finish are also top rate.

Today, if I was to put my SwissChamp aside, this is the knife I would carry. I easily place it in the top ten best knives of my entire traditional collection. If you've been thinking that GEC is the only good brand on the market, you owe is to yourself to try a Case bone stag Mini-Trapper. It's crazy good, and somehow affordable at the same time.

k6AxlfCh.jpg

It's with a bit of a sad heart that I post in this thread today, as my knife collecting has undergone such a major transformation this year. I used to collect knives with such great enthusiasm. Mostly classic scout knives, but I also looked forward to each and every new GEC release.

I started off the year with an attempt to carry the same knife every day for all of 2019. That WW2 Camillus engineers knife lasted for over five months in my pocket. Unfortunately, that knife was not purchased this year, so it does not qualify. Then for the remaining part of the year, I carried an old Victorinox SwissChamp every day, that was also not purchased this year. So it does not qualify. Yep. That's right. Two knives combined for my daily carry for 2019, and neither of them qualify for this thread. How's that for a letdown, in perhaps my favorite recurring Bladeforums thread!!!!

But that is not to say to that I didn't purchase any knives this year. I did buy a few knives. Not nearly as many as usual, but making a concerted attempt to carry as few knives as possible will do that to you. It drains the life out of a hobby centered around collecting.

Yet I did purchase the occasional GEC this year, a year that was particularly impressive. Charlie's jigged bone lambsfoot immediately comes to mind, as does Barry's bloodwood 86 SFO. Both of my 92 Eureka Jack's are glorious, as is the 2019 BladeForums knife. GEC really had a killer year. So many sensational knives.

But if I'm honest with myself, I can only get so excited about carbon steel these days. My collection has grown to the point that having to care for all of the carbon steel knives is becoming a burden. Stainless steel is just so much easier to live with.

Fortunately, I did pick up some stainless in 2019 that particularly impressed me. They may have only ridden shotgun to my two main carries, but I am very thankful to have them. I can think of two that stand out in particular, that are easily worthy of accolades. Two knives that a non-collector could purchase, and have no need for another knife. Two knives that a collector could purchase, and be utterly dazzled by.

The Case bone stag Tribal Lock wins honorable mention. I sort of bought it on a whim. I was half sure that it would be too bulky in my pocket, and not up to my quality standards. But oh how wrong I was!!! This knife is nothing sort of functional perfection. The blade grind is wonderfully thin for a knife of this size, which carries smaller than you'd expect. The grip is exceptional. Opening is smooth as silk, and the back lock disengages without trouble. Fit and finish is immaculate, and that bone stag is drop dead gorgeous. This is a highly underrated knife here on Bladeforums.

CypxquEh.jpg

My 2019 KOTY is the Case Mini-Trapper. It is similar to the Tribal Lock mentioned above, in that the covers are bone stag and the blades are Tru-Sharp stainless. The grinds are also thin enough to cut more efficiently than most modern traditionals. But this Mini-Trapper takes the top spot this year because it is so small and unassuming, and because the blade combination is so unerringly useful. The clip and wharncliffe can handle just about any ordinary EDC task with aplomb. This knife is also a joy to hold in the hand. The bone stag is thick enough that you can really get a grip on it. Fit and finish are also top rate.

Today, if I was to put my SwissChamp aside, this is the knife I would carry. I easily place it in the top ten best knives of my entire traditional collection. If you've been thinking that GEC is the only good brand on the market, you owe is to yourself to try a Case bone stag Mini-Trapper. It's crazy good, and somehow affordable at the same time.

k6AxlfCh.jpg

Thanks for the thought provoking post. I have 2 Case Mini Trappers that I really like and I've been meaning to get a Tribal Lock. The fit and finish on the mini Trappers I have are very good (unlike some of the stockmen I have).

I never considered bone stag because the photos don't look that enticing on vendor sites, but yours look spectacular!

Thanks for the thought provoking post. I have 2 Case Mini Trappers that I really like and I've been meaning to get a Tribal Lock. The fit and finish on the mini Trappers I have are very good (unlike some of the stockmen I have).

I never considered bone stag because the photos don't look that enticing on vendor sites, but yours look spectacular!

It seems that Case does some patterns extremely well, and other patterns not so well. The Mini-Trapper and Tribal Lock are two of the good ones.

I'm very picky about my bone stag. I seldom buy it sight unseen, as it can vary greatly. I mostly hit the big auction site and track down a listing that shows the exact knife that I'll receive.

CypxquEh.jpg

k6AxlfCh.jpg
Great choice, Buzz. :thumbsup:

The things you own end up owning you.

That is so true. I feel it more this year than at any time in the past. The combination of only really carrying two knives all year long, combined with so many ultralight camping trips this year where I happily lived with a very minimal set of belongings, provided a stark contrast to the absurd number of unneeded possessions that I own. So many objects, few of which truly matter to me. I feel like their only purpose at this point is to rob me of time that could be spent living and doing things that matter, instead of merely maintaining my life's footprint.

CA64855C-C9BD-492E-8D98-9836872D512E.jpeg
My traditional knife of the year has to be my GEC 15 radio knife. I was lucky enough to find this replacement from a fellow member here! I had originally sold my first one when I purged my collection to pay off my debts. It was a constant companion for a couple of years this new one I hope will be around much longer!
I’m enjoying this thread and looking forward to next year!

My knife purchasing waned significantly this year, with only three new pocketknives being added to my collection. Even had my acquisitions numbered five times that, my 2019 KoTY 2019 would have been an easy selection. I knew it from the second day it was in my pocket, when the pocket hog refused to yield back to my usual standard buffalo horn lambsfoot.

My fellow Guardians will not be surprised to hear that my 2019 KoTY is my:

V89A5E1h.jpg

This is what I wrote in the Guardians thread when I first received it:

Jack, you and Wright's have outdone yourselves, my friend! I've long wished for a Black-designed, Wright-produced Lambsfoot and this one does not disappoint. I'm delighted.

That was no exaggeration. After the first Guardian's Edition Lambsfoot was produced, I'd been hoping for a follow up in Barlow form. It took a while, but it was worth the wait. The Hartshead Barlow has seen considerable pocket time this year, and I do not see that changing in 2020 and beyond.

Well done, Jack. :thumbsup:

That is so true. I feel it more this year than at any time in the past. The combination of only really carrying two knives all year long, combined with so many ultralight camping trips this year where I happily lived with a very minimal set of belongings, provided a stark contrast to the absurd number of unneeded possessions that I own. So many objects, few of which truly matter to me. I feel like their only purpose at this point is to rob me of time that could be spent living and doing things that matter, instead of merely maintaining my life's footprint.

Very profound Buzz :) :thumbsup:

My knife purchasing waned significantly this year, with only three new pocketknives being added to my collection. Even had my acquisitions numbered five times that, my 2019 KoTY 2019 would have been an easy selection. I knew it from the second day it was in my pocket, when the pocket hog refused to yield back to my usual standard buffalo horn lambsfoot.

My fellow Guardians will not be surprised to hear that my 2019 KoTY is my:

V89A5E1h.jpg

This is what I wrote in the Guardians thread when I first received it:

That was no exaggeration. After the first Guardian's Edition Lambsfoot was produced, I'd been hoping for a follow up in Barlow form. It took a while, but it was worth the wait. The Hartshead Barlow has seen considerable pocket time this year, and I do not see that changing in 2020 and beyond.

Well done, Jack. :thumbsup:

Many thanks Greg, nice post :) :thumbsup:

I was sitting in my reclining chair minding my own business, in August, when I heard a "Ding" from the direction of my desktop. Low and behold it was a notification from USPS that a package had been delivered to my mailbox:eek:. I pulled on a pair of jeans, drove up to the mailboxes - a couple of miles -, retrieved my international package, and came back home. When I opened the package out came this A. Wright "two-blade" Lambfoot knife with Dark African Rosewood covers. I've carried it in my back pocket every day since it fell out of the international package!!

dqGniDf.jpg

ONgwys7.jpg

Some were surprised that I liked it so much because they thought it was a thick, heavy knife, with the lambfoot blade nail nick difficult to get to because the pen blade somewhat blocked it but none of those issues have been a hindrance to my using it. It's a solid well put together knife and I intend to keep carrying it as time goes on So, that makes this my 2019 Knife.:thumbsup:

I was sitting in my reclining chair minding my own business, in August, when I heard a "Ding" from the direction of my desktop. Low and behold it was a notification from USPS that a package had been delivered to my mailbox:eek:. I pulled on a pair of jeans, drove up to the mailboxes - a couple of miles -, retrieved my international package, and came back home. When I opened the package out came this A. Wright "two-blade" Lambfoot knife with Dark African Rosewood covers. I've carried it in my back pocket every day since it fell out of the international package!!

dqGniDf.jpg

ONgwys7.jpg

Some were surprised that I liked it so much because they thought it was a thick, heavy knife, with the lambfoot blade nail nick difficult to get to because the pen blade somewhat blocked it but none of those issues have been a hindrance to my using it. It's a solid well put together knife and I intend to keep carrying it as time goes on So, that makes this my 2019 Knife.:thumbsup:
That's a looker, Ed. Good choice. :thumbsup:

dqGniDf.jpg

ONgwys7.jpg

I really like this knife. Great cover material. Good useful size. Awesome frame shape. Two blades, one straight edge and one with belly. And............ are the blades stainless?

Late in 2018 I saw an individual’s ad on another knife forum for a NOS Case 62048 slim trapper that I wanted for my collection. The seller and I both thought it was bone handled but he determined it was actually made with Delrin handles after I bought it but before he shipped it. He contacted me and offered to refund my money but I told him to ship it anyway, I wanted one for my collection. Being the kind of guy that he is, when my 62048 arrived I found the seller had included two “extras” - both late 70’s Case Knives that were used but still quite functional. One was this 1978 6332 Medium Stockman. I have owned several of the 63032 over the years, including one that is still NIB, but had never carried one being a Case 18 pattern MED Stockman fan. I tried out this surprise 6332 - nice bone, great snap, no blade wobble and minimal blade wear - just a nice old knife that had seen some use and had a lot of blade staining. I have carried this knife more than any other since getting it in mid January 2019 - it has been a real surprise to me that it pushed my Case 18 patterns out as my prime EDC. Now as a Knife-Knut I own and carry lots of pocketknives (like many of you here) but this one is my main EDC nowadays (my collection of Case 18’s still get carried but not as much as this 32). The 48 is on my shelf (where its been for the last year) and the 32 is in my pocket now. OH
Case-62048-Slim-Trapper-1972-1.jpg

Case-6332-Medium-Stockman-1978-2.jpg

Isn't it amazing how a knife can come out of left field and become one you just cant seem to do without. Thats how it was with the Calfpen for me. I wanted to add another GEC to my collection, but prices of what was available at the time kinda held me off. Then the Calfpen pops up on the exchange for a reslly good price,but I still hesitated a couple days. Mostly because it was kinda odd looking. But I went ahead and pulled the trigger, now its practically my most used knife. Seems a few 2019 knife of the year knives were unexpected gems.

I really like this knife. Great cover material. Good useful size. Awesome frame shape. Two blades, one straight edge and one with belly. And............ are the blades stainless?

No, the blades are C70 carbon.

dqGniDf.jpg

ONgwys7.jpg

Cool choice Ed :) I think I've carried mine about twice! :D :thumbsup:

The same pattern is made in stainless under the Joseph Rodgers and IXL brands :thumbsup:

Back