Your Traditional Knife of 2019

2019 was a good knife year for me; I was very fortunate to acquire a couple of Victorinox knives that had eluded me for years...as well as one that I never knew existed.

But if forced to choose a single knife for 2019 that brought me the most pleasure I must go with this exceptional offering from @waynorth. It truly is a remarkable tool.

B6C40E36-35CF-43F7-8052-434583DCBB4A.jpeg

2019 certainly is shaping up to be THE YEAR OF THE LAMBSFOOT around my house too, Jack!

It's been a bit of a rough year financially for me as I had some health issues that kept me from working as much as years past and being self employed my entire adult life leaves me no one to fall back on in times like this. The reason I mention this is to say my knife purchases this year slowed down considerably but the knives I was able to acquire have a lot of meaning and I spent more time with each one.

I was able to pick up a few epic knives with the help of very generous friends here at BF like the 77 Barlow Amber sawcut as well as Barry's Bloodwood 86 and although I am grateful for my friends help, those aren't under consideration here as I didn't carry them.

So, on to my runner-ups:

As Jack mentioned, our friend Charlie's journey in getting an American made Lambsfoot produced finally came to fruition this year and what a stunning knife it is! Certainly a worthy contender for KOTY but for me, it was another knife that took over my pocket.
btEJ6F9.jpg

Another knife worth serious consideration; Jack Black's Hartshead Barlow SFO sporting vintage Sambar Stag that Jack was able to secure for its use. Some of the finest Stag to come out of Wrights in recent years, to be sure. The classic Barlow bolster with a wonderful A. Wright & Sons stamp applied to its steel is fantastic in every way. The Hartshead Barlow blade etch is so deep it almost looks and feels like its stamped and the addition of the Sheffield or Yorkshire "Rose" in the etch is icing on the cake. Seriously cool knife and one I am very lucky and proud to have. But, it was not the knife that took over my pocket.
Y1jad95.jpg

HntZMYV.jpg

The first half of the year found me carrying last years Buck Forum knife almost everyday. It was a knife that surprised me as to how much I enjoyed carrying and using it. The grinds were a little thick and the stainless, while nice to have in a sweaty pocket, was not really my taste when it came time to sharpen. Being hard to raise a burr left me wondering when enough was enough. Still, it was happily carried, off and on, the first 6 months of the year.

Here it is, my runner up for KoTY, the 2018 Buck Forum knife.
c14WKqB.jpg

yn3roOT.jpg

The honor of "Knife of The Year" award goes to my Jack Black SFO Ironwood Lambsfoot.

This came to me sometime shortly after the 4th of July holiday and hasn't left my pocket since. I didn't expect to like it as much as I have, it just found its way in and won't leave!
I use it everyday at work for scoring lines and marking wood (Carpenter) as well as sharpening the large pencils I use daily. It has sharpened scores of pencils down to nubs over the last 6 months, opened many forms of packaging and been an all around useful tool that is absolutely beautiful to look at, hold and use with a thunderous snap that brings a smile to my face every time I open it.

As hard as it is to believe, I must mention that I still have not needed to sharpen it! The tip still slices cleanly and further back on the blade still sharpens a pencil just fine. I could have sharpened it, but now, I'm just curious how long the edge may last. I am careful in what I let the edge touch and a quick wipe of the blade on my shirt after use (habit) has kept it looking rather new and without much patina at all. I like patina, this is just how it's worked out.

I have also found that it takes a nice photo, as evidenced by almost 5 pages of pics in my Imgur album!

-My 2019 Knife of The Year- Jack Black Guardians SFO in Ironwood-
Many thanks, Jack!:D

5LZYKOP.jpg

ds9A99B.jpg

3kWCivG.jpg

buRzqkA.jpg

lAksTnE.jpg

Sorry for the long post, I just kept adding to it over the last few days!:D

For me it was the GEC 15, be it in it's single or two blade execution.

DgYRpK2.jpg

7cjHirX.jpg

Fine choice, mine's in for a re-fit with @jsdistin at the moment (provided he gets it as the imbecile PO here returned the packet to me after 9 days without it leaving the country nor with an explanation...) Those AH coins you have are really something!

Fine choice, mine's in for a re-fit with @jsdistin at the moment (provided he gets it as the imbecile PO here returned the packet to me after 9 days without it leaving the country nor with an explanation...) Those AH coins you have are really something!

Thanks Will, luckily those coins are still plentiful around here. I'm sure Jeffrey will do a great job! He added the second layer on mine and I'm very pleased. Pardon my curiosity, but if it's not a secret, what's the new material going to be?

The honor of "Knife of The Year" award goes to my Jack Black SFO Ironwood Lambsfoot.

This came to me sometime shortly after the 4th of July holiday and hasn't left my pocket since. I didn't expect to like it as much as I have, it just found its way in and won't leave!
I use it everyday at work for scoring lines and marking wood (Carpenter) as well as sharpening the large pencils I use daily. It has sharpened scores of pencils down to nubs over the last 6 months, opened many forms of packaging and been an all around useful tool that is absolutely beautiful to look at, hold and use with a thunderous snap that brings a smile to my face every time I open it.

As hard as it is to believe, I must mention that I still have not needed to sharpen it! The tip still slices cleanly and further back on the blade still sharpens a pencil just fine. I could have sharpened it, but now, I'm just curious how long the edge may last. I am careful in what I let the edge touch and a quick wipe of the blade on my shirt after use (habit) has kept it looking rather new and without much patina at all. I like patina, this is just how it's worked out.

I have also found that it takes a nice photo, as evidenced by almost 5 pages of pics in my Imgur album!

5LZYKOP.jpg

ds9A99B.jpg

3kWCivG.jpg

buRzqkA.jpg

lAksTnE.jpg

The Ironwood Lambsfoot it a great selection for KOTY and one of my favorites also. :cool::thumbsup:

2019 certainly is shaping up to be THE YEAR OF THE LAMBSFOOT around my house too, Jack!

It's been a bit of a rough year financially for me as I had some health issues that kept me from working as much as years past and being self employed my entire adult life leaves me no one to fall back on in times like this. The reason I mention this is to say my knife purchases this year slowed down considerably but the knives I was able to acquire have a lot of meaning and I spent more time with each one.

I was able to pick up a few epic knives with the help of very generous friends here at BF like the 77 Barlow Amber sawcut as well as Barry's Bloodwood 86 and although I am grateful for my friends help, those aren't under consideration here as I didn't carry them.

So, on to my runner-ups:

As Jack mentioned, our friend Charlie's journey in getting an American made Lambsfoot produced finally came to fruition this year and what a stunning knife it is! Certainly a worthy contender for KOTY but for me, it was another knife that took over my pocket.
btEJ6F9.jpg

Another knife worth serious consideration; Jack Black's Hartshead Barlow SFO sporting vintage Sambar Stag that Jack was able to secure for its use. Some of the finest Stag to come out of Wrights in recent years, to be sure. The classic Barlow bolster with a wonderful A. Wright & Sons stamp applied to its steel is fantastic in every way. The Hartshead Barlow blade etch is so deep it almost looks and feels like its stamped and the addition of the Sheffield or Yorkshire "Rose" in the etch is icing on the cake. Seriously cool knife and one I am very lucky and proud to have. But, it was not the knife that took over my pocket.
Y1jad95.jpg

HntZMYV.jpg

The first half of the year found me carrying last years Buck Forum knife almost everyday. It was a knife that surprised me as to how much I enjoyed carrying and using it. The grinds were a little thick and the stainless, while nice to have in a sweaty pocket, was not really my taste when it came time to sharpen. Being hard to raise a burr left me wondering when enough was enough. Still, it was happily carried, off and on, the first 6 months of the year.

c14WKqB.jpg

yn3roOT.jpg

5LZYKOP.jpg

ds9A99B.jpg

3kWCivG.jpg

buRzqkA.jpg

lAksTnE.jpg

Excellent choice, Mark. Love the pics. :thumbsup:

This is a tough choice for me. I love the possum skinner. I also bought a few oldies this month but havent had enough time with them. At the end of the day I could not replace my stag pemberton. I carried it for the first time on my first date with my now live in girlfriend. It's been a great year and whenever I look at or use this knife it puts a smile on my face :)

bC11wzx.jpg

This is a tough choice for me. I love the possum skinner. I also bought a few oldies this month but havent had enough time with them. At the end of the day I could not replace my stag pemberton. I carried it for the first time on my first date with my now live in girlfriend. It's been a great year and whenever I look at or use this knife it puts a smile on my face :)

bC11wzx.jpg
Lovely stag on that one. :thumbsup:

Thanks John. I am pretty stag picky but I am enjoying the material more and more. This is the only stag knife I own but that will be changing in 2020! Merry Christmas John
Thanks, Jeff. I have three stag knives so far: two Sambar stag lambsfoots from England, and one polished stag antler point from Spain. Wonderful material.
And Merry Christmas!

So, on to my runner-ups:

btEJ6F9.jpg

Y1jad95.jpg

HntZMYV.jpg

c14WKqB.jpg

yn3roOT.jpg

5LZYKOP.jpg

ds9A99B.jpg

3kWCivG.jpg

buRzqkA.jpg

lAksTnE.jpg

I'm flattered Mark, fantastic pics my friend :) Have a lovely Christmas :thumbsup:

I've noticed a few here straying from the whole idea of this thread :eek:, which is to decide on one particular knife. Showing and talking about contenders for your 'Knife of the Year' is encouraged :thumbsup:, but y'all have to tell us about that singular knife, not type or pattern, that you really REALLY dig! :)

Thanks Jack Black, for this thread, which is the one yearly thread I look forward to.

My Knife of the Year 2019: a new old stock model #18 Camillus USA, 3 7/8", clip/pen (pen on mark side), cam tang serpentine jack. It is a great cheapie with plastic scales that move in and out at the pivot end when the main blade is opened and closed. The main blade closed, rests against the pile side liner. The main must be a little bent at the tang. I got to know the knife a bit while cleaning the dried packing grease off it, and giving the blades a proper sharpening. It was literally a nail breaker at first, but has now got a super smooth 6+ pull. The blade temper must be bang on, it holds an edge nicely, and sharpens well but doesn't feel soft on the stone.

I loved this knife right away. I bought two more for a 'lifetime supply' :), (and promptly gave one to my brother for his sixtieth) both 'new' ones have the exact same quirks. Some here will remember my many posts about this knife in the 'What traditional knife are you totin' today?' and a few other threads. I bought three other nice knives this year but they pale in comparison to my Camillus serpentine jack. It is my favourite of all of my knives and it has become my 'only' ;) pocket knife.

http://i.imgur.com/wNsgOs4.jpg

Michael

Last edited:
I've noticed a few here straying from the whole idea of this thread :eek:, which is to decide on one particular knife. Showing and talking about contenders for your 'Knife of the Year' is encouraged :thumbsup:, but y'all have to tell us about that singular knife, not type or pattern, that you really REALLY dig! :)

Thanks Jack Black, for this thread, which is the one yearly thread I look forward to.

My Knife of the Year 2019: a new old stock model #18 Camillus USA, 3 7/8", clip/pen (pen on mark side), cam tang serpentine jack. It is a great cheapie with plastic scales that move in and out at the pivot end when the main blade is opened and closed. The main blade closed, rests against the pile side liner. The main must be a little bent at the tang. I got to know the knife a bit while cleaning the dried packing grease off it, and giving the blades a proper sharpening. It was literally a nail breaker at first, but has now got a super smooth 6+ pull. The blade temper must be bang on, it holds an edge nicely, and sharpens well but doesn't feel soft on the stone.

I loved this knife right away. I bought two more for a 'lifetime supply' :), (and promptly gave one to my brother for his sixtieth) both 'new' ones have the exact same quirks. Some here will remember my many posts about this knife in the 'What traditional knife are you totin' today?' and a few other threads. I bought three other nice knives this year but they pale in comparison to my Camillus serpentine jack. It is my favourite of all of my knives and it has become my 'only' ;) pocket knife.

Michael
Pics?

Back