Your Traditional Knife of 2019

My favorite traditional for 2019 hands down.
MEC1LcP.jpg

Jack, I look forward to this thread every year, and have always enjoyed participating in it, but I have to be honest, I didn’t think I was going to be able to post anything this year. I haven’t bought nearly as many knives this year as I have in the past several years, and nothing was really standing out in my mind. Thankfully, though, the answer finally hit me, and it was right under my nose… or rather, in my pocket. ;)

I’ll get to my Knife-of-the-Year in a second, but first, some runners up (or, “knives that I got this year but couldn’t justify as my KOTY”):

These first few will look familiar to anyone who has even briefly looked through this thread, because they’re the same knives that were nominated by many of you.

The 2019 Guardians Lambsfoot in Desert Ironwood is easily the most beautiful knife I acquired this year, and sadly that’s what disqualified it for KOTY contention… I haven’t been able to bring myself to use it (yet)!

zQ96s2W.jpg

The other two Lambsfoot knives everyone’s been talking about — Jack’s Hartshead Barlow and Charlie’s Lambsfoot — were high on my list of favorite-knives-acquired-this-year, but neither have found their way into my pocket frequently enough to qualify for this thread.

EoYuNVv.jpg

(To be honest — and I hope this doesn’t get me shunned from the Guardians group ;) — while I like a straight edge blade for some tasks, I generally prefer a spearpoint, or a clip point, or a drop point, so the odds of a Lambsfoot or sheepsfoot being my Knife-of-the-Year aren’t great. :confused:)

I managed to snag one of CK’s #77 Barlows earlier this year, a single spearpoint in Amber Sawcut bone from the most recent run, but I realized going through my Imgur account that I haven’t even taken a picture of it, so obviously it didn’t make enough of an impression to be named KOTY. :rolleyes:

But there was one knife, purchased early this year, that snuck its way into my pocket more often than probably any other this year. It’s unassuming, some might even call it plain, but for me that’s part of its charm. My Traditional Knife of 2019 is this GEC Farm & Field Tool #21 Bull Buster in OD Green Linen Micarta.

8anwpvN.jpg

I’d been curious about this knife for a while, because it’s little brother (the #71 Bull Nose) has been a favorite of mine since I first discovered GEC. My only concern about the #21 was its size and how comfortable it would be for normal pocket carry, but for me it hasn’t been an issue at all. This thing became my go-to knife while working on projects around the house this summer and fall.

PFUTxej.jpg

Now that we’re out of the fix-stuff-before-winter season, the Bull Buster has still been finding its way into my pocket pretty regularly. I had it with me for a week or more leading up to Christmas, and I’m certain it was in my pocket as I read the posts in this thread and wasn’t sure I had anything to contribute this year. :rolleyes: :D

3pninV3.jpg

Thanks again for this fun tradition, Jack! Looking forward to next year! :thumbsup:

This is always a difficult task, since Jack Black will not tolerate equivocation or that “I love all my children equally” sentimentality. And even though I know this thread is coming, it takes me a long time to face up to making my decision. But it is important to show the Knife of the Year in context, so I have to include a number of the finalists which made the ultimate choice so tough.

Of course two of my favorite knives this year were Jack Black SFOs, the lovely Ironwood
j0N4Xtn.jpg
and the Hartshead Barlow
prB33V8.jpg

got a great deal of pocket time.

I was not fortunate enough to acquire one of Charlie’s Lambsfoot SFOs, but the Ramsfoot was also in my pocket much of the year.
F3KAYK5.jpg

And although the BF knife and my other 86 have made the year end very enjoyable, they do not strictly meet Jack’s criteria.
t1TLOYp.jpg

Ultimately the winner is a knife I thought I would like, but which exceeded my expectations more than all of these outstanding options this year. I had only planned to get one, in bone, but when I saw the first acrylic Grits with Butter and Molasses Stockyard Whittler, I jumped on it, and it has been an outstanding Knife of the Year.
mDNCEP6.jpg

Just under the wire here Jack:eek::) My intentions were good but the flu said otherwise:rolleyes: day 12 of a flu bug that was finally diagnosed as bacterial vs viral. Now I'm on the road to recovery:thumbsup:

My KOTY, as many have listed the same, albeit in different versions or makers. Jack and Charlie offered amazing Lambfoot goodness in 2019. My pick for the 2019 KOTY is.........
X3hCfF.jpg

OM3VCI.jpg

5xKq44.jpg

HddDbi.jpg

Have a fantastic 2020 Jack and all you wonderful people who make the "porch" such a great place:thumbsup::)

Last edited:
There were several knives this year that could have been my knife of the year. I had some very special knives made available to me at times by some very special folks, but I may have to share those is a different thread...most of those don't get carried at all.

The knife I chose, is not only my knife of 2019, but it would get my vote for the overall knife of 2019.

We all wondered what color the camel bone 92 Eureka was going to be, and I think were all more than pleasantly surprised with the results.

I got two, one to carry, and one to keep pretty. The one in the drawer does look nicer, but the one I carry (S model from the factory) is my favorite.
mRk6DUZ.jpg

I enjoy this thread, partly because I enjoy reading everyone's contributions, and partly because it forces me to reflect a little, rather than simply posting what I carried today, e.g.

Two years ago, I owned eight knives. Today, I have forty. I acquired fourteen in 2018, and eighteen in 2019 (I'll have to slow down in 2020!). Here are this year's knives:
XeSLxkl.jpg

Several of them are quite extraordinary, and I could probably write a treatise on most of them. [My wife says I am sometimes like a Chatty Cathy doll.] But I won't--this isn't that kind of thread.

I would like to briefly remark on two Honourable Mentions, and then present a runner-up and my 2019 Knife of the Year.

1st Honourable Mention:
IpFUjiS.jpg

My most beautiful knife, I think. A Spanish navaja handmade by a master artisan, José Antonio Herreros Gómez, from Albacete. The handle is polished deer stag, and the steel is 440C. A work of art. I have carried it some, and used it, but I am a little afraid of damaging it. It came very sharp, and slices like a demon. I suppose the handle is not the most ergonomically efficient for frequent use, and it seems almost like a ceremonial knife. I don't carry it enough for it to qualify for my Knife of the Year, however.

2nd Honourable Mention:
DlBFtLH.jpg

The Hartshead Barlow, a special factory order from Jack, made by A. Wright & Son. What a knife! This and the navaja are the closest things I have to "safe queens." I do carry it occasionally, and I have sharpened it and use it, but not on food. I want to keep it somewhat pristine. It has magnificent Sambar stag on each side, and I love the steel: easy to sharpen, and a great slicer. I love the card Jack prepared to go with the knife. I take special care with this one, but it doesn't meet the criteria.

Now which knives meet the criteria?

Runner-up:
AmfLyNW.jpg

When I first saw an Opinel, probably here on Blade Forums, I was intrigued. I think I may have thought it was a little strange-looking, used as I am to trappers and stockmans. Maybe a little bulky for a pocket knife. But they kept popping up here and there. And I saw a set of Opinel knives at a local gun show. I became "curiouser and curiouser" and figured I may as well try one, they're only $15. Well, let me tell you, this is a perfect knife! It feels great in the hand, and the No. 8 is perfect for the pocket. I may also pick up a 9 and/or 10, but this 8 is great! And it slices as good or better than any of my knives. It is well-balanced, and the more I hold and use and look at it, the more I love it. It's been in my pocket every day since I got it. So why isn't it my

2019 Knife of the Year:
LyyY1kw.jpg

Lsh0Poq.jpg

xyWSfqJ.jpg

laLNZsX.jpg

8QoHuPX.jpg

B6XxJYX.jpg

qHzorQb.jpg

Because this has been in my pocket even more. It is my single most carried and used knife right now. It is a 12cm Laguiole Honoré Durand, with 14C28 steel and an olive wood handle. Unlike the Opinel, it was love at first sight. When I first saw a Laguiole here on Blade Forums, I think my jaw dropped. What beautiful lines! What curves! What a lovely blade! My only concern was that the handle might be too slender. Not to worry, the handle is nice and fat! A perfect fit for my hand, whether I grasp it with my thumb on the side or on top. It feels like an extension of my hand, and is very well-balanced. I have sharpened it so that it is like a razor now.

I used to think I preferred multi-bladed knives and stag handles, but my current favourite and most carried knives are single-bladed, wood-handled knives from France! Who'd a thunk it?
yy9e3ip.jpg

Vive la France!

Last edited:
I have added quite a few traditionals this year, as this is the year that I got "back" into them. I carried traditionals all through my growing up years.... mostly Queen and Case knives. Then I drifted off into locking knives, and assisted opening knives, and stayed there for a while. I played prodigal sometime in the first quarter of 2019, and sort of went nuts on buying, both on the Bay, and here. I've bought and tried, and set aside quite a few different styles of traditional knives, and am beginning to narrow down what I think I like.
While I really like good single blade knives, such as the lambfoot, or ramfoot, or especially the #74 Mustang drop point, I always find myself thinking that an extra blade would be nice.
So, my first runner up for KOTY would be my GEC Ramfoot in cocobolo. I've carried it quite a bit since I bought it, and it checks a whole bunch of boxes for me.
iOzqvv.jpg

But, the knife/knives that have checked the most boxes, the one/s I find in my pocket more than any other this year, is one of the 3 versions of the #92 Eureka Jack. I've carried the elderberry one most, and have had the goldenrod camel in my pocket for the past week and a half, non-stop, and I have on a couple occasions dropped the micarta in my pocket.

ipg8wF.jpg

iPXavv.jpg

Just under the wire here Jack:eek::) My intentions were good but the flu said otherwise:rolleyes: day 12 of a flu bug that was finally diagnosed as bacterial vs viral. Now I'm on the road to recovery:thumbsup:

My KOTY, as many have listed the same, albeit in different versions or makers. Jack and Charlie offered amazing Lambfoot goodness in 2019. My pick for the 2019 KOTY is.........
X3hCfF.jpg

OM3VCI.jpg

5xKq44.jpg

HddDbi.jpg

Have a fantastic 2020 Jack and all you wonderful people who make the "porch" such a great place:thumbsup::)
Sorry to hear about your flu my friend . It has had it's time in our house too even though we had the flu shots. Great Choice for your KOTY . It is simply an amazing knife if a person would only use it .

Harry

It was a great year for me. I got a bunch of new patterns I’ve never used and more examples of patterns I already loved. Here’s two runners up and finally my Knife of the Year...

Second runner-up was this Case Swayback Gent. I got this super recently in the ongoing Mr. Knife’s Giveaway and I love it. Since I got this out of the box it’s been with me everyday. I’m gonna try and get the Swayback Jack, because with how slim this is, I feel like even with a second pen blade it would still disappear in my pocket.
geWNckb.jpg

Next up is one of Collector Knives “modern traditionals” this is a constant in the rotation. I wish there were more stainless or modern steel versions of GEC patterns because I really am growing tired of finding little rust spots showing up on all my carbon blades.
5raxHnG.jpg

But the one knife that has been in my pocket most of anything this year is this. It’s not a Jack Black SFO Guardian Knife, I have one of those in ebony, but I love it too much to use it regularly. So getting this ebony to use as a daily driver was a godsend. It has a super buff back spring and makes a major snap opening and closing and it’s definitely my Knife of the Year for 2109

ze4sxWm.jpg

I've noticed a few here straying from the whole idea of this thread :eek:, which is to decide on one particular knife. Showing and talking about contenders for your 'Knife of the Year' is encouraged :thumbsup:, but y'all have to tell us about that singular knife, not type or pattern, that you really REALLY dig! :)

Thanks Jack Black, for this thread, which is the one yearly thread I look forward to.

My Knife of the Year 2019: a new old stock model #18 Camillus USA, 3 7/8", clip/pen (pen on mark side), cam tang serpentine jack. It is a great cheapie with plastic scales that move in and out at the pivot end when the main blade is opened and closed. The main blade closed, rests against the pile side liner. The main must be a little bent at the tang. I got to know the knife a bit while cleaning the dried packing grease off it, and giving the blades a proper sharpening. It was literally a nail breaker at first, but has now got a super smooth 6+ pull. The blade temper must be bang on, it holds an edge nicely, and sharpens well but doesn't feel soft on the stone.

I loved this knife right away. I bought two more for a 'lifetime supply' :), (and promptly gave one to my brother for his sixtieth) both 'new' ones have the exact same quirks. Some here will remember my many posts about this knife in the 'What traditional knife are you totin' today?' and a few other threads. I bought three other nice knives this year but they pale in comparison to my Camillus serpentine jack. It is my favourite of all of my knives and it has become my 'only' ;) pocket knife.

http://i.imgur.com/wNsgOs4.jpg

Michael

Thank YOU Michael :thumbsup: A great choice, which fits the bill perfectly :) :thumbsup:

Jack, I look forward to this thread every year, and have always enjoyed participating in it, but I have to be honest, I didn’t think I was going to be able to post anything this year. I haven’t bought nearly as many knives this year as I have in the past several years, and nothing was really standing out in my mind. Thankfully, though, the answer finally hit me, and it was right under my nose… or rather, in my pocket. ;)

I’ll get to my Knife-of-the-Year in a second, but first, some runners up (or, “knives that I got this year but couldn’t justify as my KOTY”):

These first few will look familiar to anyone who has even briefly looked through this thread, because they’re the same knives that were nominated by many of you.

The 2019 Guardians Lambsfoot in Desert Ironwood is easily the most beautiful knife I acquired this year, and sadly that’s what disqualified it for KOTY contention… I haven’t been able to bring myself to use it (yet)!

zQ96s2W.jpg

The other two Lambsfoot knives everyone’s been talking about — Jack’s Hartshead Barlow and Charlie’s Lambsfoot — were high on my list of favorite-knives-acquired-this-year, but neither have found their way into my pocket frequently enough to qualify for this thread.

EoYuNVv.jpg

(To be honest — and I hope this doesn’t get me shunned from the Guardians group ;) — while I like a straight edge blade for some tasks, I generally prefer a spearpoint, or a clip point, or a drop point, so the odds of a Lambsfoot or sheepsfoot being my Knife-of-the-Year aren’t great. :confused:)

I managed to snag one of CK’s #77 Barlows earlier this year, a single spearpoint in Amber Sawcut bone from the most recent run, but I realized going through my Imgur account that I haven’t even taken a picture of it, so obviously it didn’t make enough of an impression to be named KOTY. :rolleyes:

But there was one knife, purchased early this year, that snuck its way into my pocket more often than probably any other this year. It’s unassuming, some might even call it plain, but for me that’s part of its charm. My Traditional Knife of 2019 is this GEC Farm & Field Tool #21 Bull Buster in OD Green Linen Micarta.

8anwpvN.jpg

I’d been curious about this knife for a while, because it’s little brother (the #71 Bull Nose) has been a favorite of mine since I first discovered GEC. My only concern about the #21 was its size and how comfortable it would be for normal pocket carry, but for me it hasn’t been an issue at all. This thing became my go-to knife while working on projects around the house this summer and fall.

PFUTxej.jpg

Now that we’re out of the fix-stuff-before-winter season, the Bull Buster has still been finding its way into my pocket pretty regularly. I had it with me for a week or more leading up to Christmas, and I’m certain it was in my pocket as I read the posts in this thread and wasn’t sure I had anything to contribute this year. :rolleyes: :D

3pninV3.jpg

Thanks again for this fun tradition, Jack! Looking forward to next year! :thumbsup:

Fantastic post Barrett, nice choice my friend :) :thumbsup:

This is always a difficult task, since Jack Black will not tolerate equivocation or that “I love all my children equally” sentimentality. And even though I know this thread is coming, it takes me a long time to face up to making my decision. But it is important to show the Knife of the Year in context, so I have to include a number of the finalists which made the ultimate choice so tough.

Of course two of my favorite knives this year were Jack Black SFOs, the lovely Ironwood
j0N4Xtn.jpg
and the Hartshead Barlow
prB33V8.jpg

got a great deal of pocket time.

I was not fortunate enough to acquire one of Charlie’s Lambsfoot SFOs, but the Ramsfoot was also in my pocket much of the year.
F3KAYK5.jpg

And although the BF knife and my other 86 have made the year end very enjoyable, they do not strictly meet Jack’s criteria.
t1TLOYp.jpg

Ultimately the winner is a knife I thought I would like, but which exceeded my expectations more than all of these outstanding options this year. I had only planned to get one, in bone, but when I saw the first acrylic Grits with Butter and Molasses Stockyard Whittler, I jumped on it, and it has been an outstanding Knife of the Year.
mDNCEP6.jpg

Smashing post Dave, and a great choice of your Knife of The Year :) :thumbsup:

X3hCfF.jpg

OM3VCI.jpg

5xKq44.jpg

HddDbi.jpg

Hope you're better soon Paul, that's a long time to be ill :( :thumbsup: Great choice my friend, really an amazing knife :thumbsup:

I enjoy this thread, partly because I enjoy reading everyone's contributions, and partly because it forces me to reflect a little, rather than simply posting what I carried today, e.g.

Two years ago, I owned eight knives. Today, I have forty. I acquired fourteen in 2018, and eighteen in 2019 (I'll have to slow down in 2020!). Here are this year's knives:
XeSLxkl.jpg

Several of them are quite extraordinary, and I could probably write a treatise on most of them. [My wife says I am sometimes like a Chatty Cathy doll.] But I won't--this isn't that kind of thread.

I would like to briefly remark on two Honourable Mentions, and then present a runner-up and my 2019 Knife of the Year.

1st Honourable Mention:
IpFUjiS.jpg

My most beautiful knife, I think. A Spanish navaja handmade by a master artisan, José Antonio Herreros Gómez, from Albacete. The handle is polished deer stag, and the steel is 440C. A work of art. I have carried it some, and used it, but I am a little afraid of damaging it. It came very sharp, and slices like a demon. I suppose the handle is not the most ergonomically efficient for frequent use, and it seems almost like a ceremonial knife. I don't carry it enough for it to qualify for my Knife of the Year, however.

2nd Honourable Mention:
DlBFtLH.jpg

The Hartshead Barlow, a special factory order from Jack, made by A. Wright & Son. What a knife! This and the navaja are the closest things I have to "safe queens." I do carry it occasionally, and I have sharpened it and use it, but not on food. I want to keep it somewhat pristine. It has magnificent Sambar stag on each side, and I love the steel: easy to sharpen, and a great slicer. I love the card Jack prepared to go with the knife. I take special care with this one, but it doesn't meet the criteria.

Runner-up:
AmfLyNW.jpg

When I first saw an Opinel, probably here on Blade Forums, I was intrigued. I think I may have thought it was a little strange-looking, used as I am to trappers and stockmans. Maybe a little bulky for a pocket knife. But they kept popping up here and there. And I saw a set of Opinel knives at a local gun show. I became "curiouser and curiouser" and figured I may as well try one, they're only $15. Well, let me tell you, this is a perfect knife! It feels great in the hand, and the No. 8 is perfect for the pocket. I may also pick up a 9 and/or 10, but this 8 is great! And it slices as good or better than any of my knives. It is well-balanced, and the more I hold and use and look at it, the more I love it. It's been in my pocket every day since I got it. So why isn't it my

2019 Knife of the Year:
LyyY1kw.jpg

Lsh0Poq.jpg

xyWSfqJ.jpg

laLNZsX.jpg

8QoHuPX.jpg

B6XxJYX.jpg

qHzorQb.jpg

Because this has been in my pocket even more. It is my single most carried and used knife right now. It is a 12cm Laguiole Honoré Durand, with 14C28 steel and an olive wood handle. Unlike the Opinel, it was love at first sight. When I first saw a Laguiole here on Blade Forums, I think my jaw dropped. What beautiful lines! What curves! What a lovely blade! My only concern was that the handle might be too slender. Not to worry, the handle is nice and fat! A perfect fit for my hand, whether I grasp it with my thumb on the side or on top. It feels like an extension of my hand, and is very well-balanced. I have sharpened it so that it is like a razor now.

I used to think I preferred multi-bladed knives and stag handles, but my current favourite and most carried knives are single-bladed, wood-handled knives from France! Who'd a thunk it?
yy9e3ip.jpg

Vive la France!

Those are fab photos Vince :cool: Great post and a fitting choice :) :thumbsup:

It was a great year for me. I got a bunch of new patterns I’ve never used and more examples of patterns I already loved. Here’s two runners up and finally my Knife of the Year...

Second runner-up was this Case Swayback Gent. I got this super recently in the ongoing Mr. Knife’s Giveaway and I love it. Since I got this out of the box it’s been with me everyday. I’m gonna try and get the Swayback Jack, because with how slim this is, I feel like even with a second pen blade it would still disappear in my pocket.
geWNckb.jpg

Next up is one of Collector Knives “modern traditionals” this is a constant in the rotation. I wish there were more stainless or modern steel versions of GEC patterns because I really am growing tired of finding little rust spots showing up on all my carbon blades.
5raxHnG.jpg

But the one knife that has been in my pocket most of anything this year is this. It’s not a Jack Black SFO Guardian Knife, I have one of those in ebony, but I love it too much to use it regularly. So getting this ebony to use as a daily driver was a godsend. It has a super buff back spring and makes a major snap opening and closing and it’s definitely my Knife of the Year for 2109

ze4sxWm.jpg

A Lambsfoot loves to be used Joe ;) Nice choice my friend :) :thumbsup:

Many thanks folks, for all the thoughtful and thought-provoking posts, and ultimately, for choosing your Knife of the Year for 2019. The standard of contributions, which is always good in this thread I think, has been particularly high this year, with some incredible photography too. Well done everyone, 2019 has left all us traditional knife lovers winners I think :) And what is to come in 2020? :cool: See you here next year folks, and thanks again for taking part :thumbsup:

Jack

XeSLxkl.jpg

1st Honourable Mention:
IpFUjiS.jpg

2nd Honourable Mention:
DlBFtLH.jpg

Runner-up:
AmfLyNW.jpg

2019 Knife of the Year:
LyyY1kw.jpg

Lsh0Poq.jpg

xyWSfqJ.jpg

laLNZsX.jpg

8QoHuPX.jpg

B6XxJYX.jpg

qHzorQb.jpg

yy9e3ip.jpg

Vive la France!
Excellent post, Sir!
I'm curious what 2020's version of this thread will have us discovering :)

Back