Your Traditional Knife of 2020

It's tough to choose just one. I've gotten a couple of really nice GEC's this year and they are a pleasure to carry but in my heart I still love vintage.

My choice this year is this Boy's knife from Schrade Cutco with some really nice Peachseed handles. Just a joy to hold in the hand and to carry :):thumbsup:

olER1nk.jpg

YVwPmjw.jpg

The GEC #33 Conductor really surprised me this year. I bought it on a whim... mostly because I felt the need to buy something made by GEC and this one was easier than most to purchase. It's been a crazy year to try and purchase GEC knives. I'm normally not a Pen Knife kind of guy, I've just never really taken to them (preferring Jacks). But I found myself pocketing this #33 more often than not. I carry a Lambsfoot Knife almost daily and I think this little Pen Knife makes the perfect companion for it. It packs a decent sized Clip Blade for the size of the handle, and the Clip/Pen combo make a nice addition to the straight edge of the Lambsfoot. So when I started looking at my knives that I purchased this year, it was immediately obvious that the #33 Conductor had to be my Knife of the Year. Plus the stag on it is pretty nice. :)

GEC #33 Stag Conductor...

I’ve got a candidate that recently arrived but like in baseball one month may allow you to contend for rookie of the year but it doesn’t give you enough time to be the MVP. Using that theory also eliminates two other recent acquisitions, the GEC 74 in stag and the 2020 Bladeforums Viper. They were both highly anticipated knives that exceeded expectations but haven’t had enough pocket time to displace this years K.O.T.Y.
This one kind of snuck up on me. It’s a pattern I found to be highly attractive but avoided because of the wharncliffe blade which I had an aversion to. It was a gift from Darren @waverave and as an edc it has done everything I need and then some. This years K.O.T.Y. has won because it works and has worked all year. The Rough Ryder Work Knife. E5468DEA-7B21-4567-BF98-535518633AD7.jpeg

It's tough to choose just one. I've gotten a couple of really nice GEC's this year and they are a pleasure to carry but in my heart I still love vintage.

My choice this year is this Boy's knife from Schrade Cutco with some really nice Peachseed handles. Just a joy to hold in the hand and to carry :):thumbsup:

olER1nk.jpg

YVwPmjw.jpg

You have some beautiful vintage knives Steve :) :thumbsup:

Certainly nothing fancy about it & it didn't cost much, but this large Texas Jack that I got off the Exchange here is probably my favourite knife buy of the year.
IMG_0884-X4.jpg

Classic :thumbsup:

The GEC #33 Conductor really surprised me this year. I bought it on a whim... mostly because I felt the need to buy something made by GEC and this one was easier than most to purchase. It's been a crazy year to try and purchase GEC knives. I'm normally not a Pen Knife kind of guy, I've just never really taken to them (preferring Jacks). But I found myself pocketing this #33 more often than not. I carry a Lambsfoot Knife almost daily and I think this little Pen Knife makes the perfect companion for it. It packs a decent sized Clip Blade for the size of the handle, and the Clip/Pen combo make a nice addition to the straight edge of the Lambsfoot. So when I started looking at my knives that I purchased this year, it was immediately obvious that the #33 Conductor had to be my Knife of the Year. Plus the stag on it is pretty nice. :)

GEC #33 Stag Conductor...

I've always thought the Conductor was a very attractive pattern John, and that is a particularly attractive example :) :thumbsup:

I’ve got a candidate that recently arrived but like in baseball one month may allow you to contend for rookie of the year but it doesn’t give you enough time to be the MVP. Using that theory also eliminates two other recent acquisitions, the GEC 74 in stag and the 2020 Bladeforums Viper. They were both highly anticipated knives that exceeded expectations but haven’t had enough pocket time to displace this years K.O.T.Y.
This one kind of snuck up on me. It’s a pattern I found to be highly attractive but avoided because of the wharncliffe blade which I had an aversion to. It was a gift from Darren @waverave and as an edc it has done everything I need and then some. This years K.O.T.Y. has won because it works and has worked all year. The Rough Ryder Work Knife. View attachment 1472186

Good post Alan, and a very worthy winner :) I have been enjoying seeing you carry it so often this year :thumbsup:

I have to preface my actual Knife of 2020 with a spectacular pickup for me this year. I may have carried it once or twice, but it is one to save, so can't be in the running for this thread. I love GEC's 440C offerings, and this one in elk stag is a rare and beautiful example: #681212 White Owl.

SMDj31F.jpg

623iYky.jpg

Now my 2020 Knife of the Year, the Victorinox Evolution Grip 14, #2.3903.C. This knife is the first multi-tool knife to eject my beloved Cadets from the left front pocket, and has proven to have just about my perfect compliment of blades and tools. It has been in pocket for at least 90% of the year, and I just ordered a second to have as a backup. Shown here with my old Ulster Scout.

jX1llzZ.jpg

:thumbsup:Jack, your 2020 description as being a stinker is dead on. This COVID has us all on common ground.
The shutdowns, the TP hoarding and search for household staples, separation of families and the craziest election year ever. (and it ain't over for us in Georgia, while the rest of the U.S. can enjoy holiday programming, we get non-stop political ads 24/7 on TV and across all social media platforms :(.....until Jan 5, 2021)
I'm thankful to be retired and unfazed by employment uncertainties many families are facing.
This has also been a different year for my knife collection. BLADE ( here in Atlanta was cancelled) usually adds several and my purchases in general have slowed. This year I only bought 4.
2020Knife Pic.jpeg
I am very pleased with all 4. The GEC62 Pocket Carver is very nice. I had the pleasure of speaking with Richard Lanigan( prior to his passing) and purchasing this RED TROUT knife with a single sheepsfoot blade with popcorn stag scales. Richard also told me about Eric Albers ( who had produced this run of Red Trout Knives) and that he would soon be producing his own line of knives. About the same time as my Red Trout purchase (May 2020) I was beginning a remodeling of two bathrooms in our home. I had planned to do the DEMO (work out some of my COVID Isolation Frustrations) and the Red Trout would have filled the bill cutting carpet, sheetrock,caulking, etc.......I couldn't bring myself to use it. I had been a long time lurker on the Guardians of the Lambsfoot thread and was always impressed by the utility uses the lambsfoot pattern was put. I located an A. Wright & Son Lambsfoot with smooth stag scales and it became my daily workhorse, performing beautifully the remodeling tasks I had purchased it for. Lastly I was fortunate to purchase one of Eric Albers initial releases. It is a fine well made single Clip with Mastodon scales..

So....My Traditional Knife of 2020....is my not so pretty, workhorse A.Wright & Son Lambsfoot which resides in my pocket most days. Heck, my wife asked the other day if she could borrow my knife (She NEVER asks to use my knife) to pop out and replace some tiny outside Christmas lights. I'm breaking down a plethora of boxes from her online shopping and now rather than lurk among the Guardians, I occasionally post :D
Count me in for the patch GAW :thumbsup:

Last edited:
I have to preface my actual Knife of 2020 with a spectacular pickup for me this year. I may have carried it once or twice, but it is one to save, so can't be in the running for this thread. I love GEC's 440C offerings, and this one in elk stag is a rare and beautiful example: #681212 White Owl.

SMDj31F.jpg

623iYky.jpg

Now my 2020 Knife of the Year, the Victorinox Evolution Grip 14, #2.3903.C. This knife is the first multi-tool knife to eject my beloved Cadets from the left front pocket, and has proven to have just about my perfect compliment of blades and tools. It has been in pocket for at least 90% of the year, and I just ordered a second to have as a backup. Shown here with my old Ulster Scout.

jX1llzZ.jpg

Interesting choice there Jeff :) I bought one as a present for a friend's daughter a few years back. She was going on a month-long expedition to Ecuador, with about 20 or so other 18-year olds, and turned out to be the only one who packed a knife o_O

Thanks Jack. To use another sports metaphor, the RR is the player who was a low draft choice but by grit and determination ends up outshining the stars.

:D :thumbsup:

Jack, your 2020 description as being a stinker is dead on. This COVID has us all on common ground.
The shutdowns, the TP hoarding and search for household staples, separation of families and the craziest election year ever. (and it ain't over for us in Georgia, while the rest of the U.S. can enjoy holiday programming, we get non-stop political ads 24/7 on TV and across all social media platforms :(.....until Jan 5, 2021)
I'm thankful to be retired and unfazed by employment uncertainties many families are facing.
This has also been a different year for my knife collection. BLADE ( here in Atlanta was cancelled) usually adds several and my purchases in general have slowed. This year I only bought 4.
View attachment 1472205
I am very pleased with all 4. The GEC62 Pocket Carver is very nice. I had the pleasure of speaking with Richard Lanigan( prior to his passing) and purchasing this RED TROUT knife with a single sheepsfoot blade with popcorn stag scales. Richard also told me about Eric Albers ( who had produced this run of Red Trout Knives) and that he would soon be producing his own line of knives. About the same time as my Red Trout purchase (May 2020) I was beginning a remodeling of two bathrooms in our home. I had planned to do the DEMO (work out some of my COVID Isolation Frustrations) and the Red Trout would have filled the bill cutting carpet, sheetrock,caulking, etc.......I couldn't bring myself to use it. I had been a long time lurker on the Guardians of the Lambsfoot thread and was always impressed by the utility uses the lambsfoot pattern was put. I located an A. Wright & Son Lambsfoot with smooth stag scales and it became my daily workhorse, performing beautifully the remodeling tasks I had purchased it for. Lastly I was fortunate to purchase one of Eric Albers initial releases. It is a fine well made single Clip with Mastodon scales..

So....My Traditional Knife of 2020....is my not so pretty, workhorse A.Wright & Son Lambsfoot which resides in my pocket most days. Heck, my wife asked the other day if she could borrow my knife (She NEVER asks to use my knife) to pop out and replace some tiny outside Christmas lights. I'm breaking down a plethora of boxes from her online shopping and now rather than lurk among the Guardians, I occasionally post :D

It sounds like your year has been even worse than mine George! :eek: I sure hope 2021 is better :thumbsup: Excellent post my friend, and a great choice :) It's good to see your posts in the Guardians thread too :) :thumbsup:

2020 has been a pretty good year for me (at least in terms of knives), but this is an easy choice. I got this Charlie Bell sowbelly in vintage paper micarta and CPM-154 in early October and I have carried it every day since. Practically perfect in every way and my personal KotY!

sowbelly1.jpeg

2020 has been a pretty good year for me (at least in terms of knives), but this is an easy choice. I got this Charlie Bell sowbelly in vintage paper micarta and CPM-154 in early October and I have carried it every day since. Practically perfect in every way and my personal KotY!

View attachment 1472243

That's a beauty :) :thumbsup:

Thanks for opening a new KOTY thread, Jack Black Jack Black !! This one is always fun, and it takes some reflection and attention to decide!!:D
But this year's is easy for me!:)
I enjoyed the link to last year's thread, Jack, and it was gratifying to see so many Lambsfoot knives; your HH Barlows (mostly Stags!).
And so much appreciation for the adopted-design American version was wonderful!!:cool:
Brothers USA 1.jpg
Now this year's, for me, was a surprise!!:eek:
I had given up on Case knives for several years, but I thought I'd try one of the Tony Bose designed Tribal Locks, which one of our friends here, from Louisiana, sold to me!!Tribal Lock PW whiskey 1.jpg Tribal Lock PW whiskey 2.jpg Tribal Lock PW whiskey 3.jpg
It's been in my pocket almost all year, and when not there, sits on the table where I usually sit, and opens all my mail and packages, and of course now reminds me of my old friend, Tony!!
R.I.P.:( A sad event, and a welcome KOTY:thumbsup:!!

Thanks for opening a new KOTY thread, Jack Black Jack Black !! This one is always fun, and it takes some reflection and attention to decide!!:D
But this year's is easy for me!:)
I enjoyed the link to last year's thread, Jack, and it was gratifying to see so many Lambsfoot knives; your HH Barlows (mostly Stags!).
And so much appreciation for the adopted-design American version was wonderful!!:cool:
View attachment 1472249
Now this year's, for me, was a surprise!!:eek:
I had given up on Case knives for several years, but I thought I'd try one of the Tony Bose designed Tribal Locks, which one of our friends here, from Louisiana, sold to me!!View attachment 1472251 View attachment 1472252 View attachment 1472253
It's been in my pocket almost all year, and when not there, sits on the table where I usually sit, and opens all my mail and packages, and of course now reminds me of my old friend, Tony!!
R.I.P.:( A sad event, and a welcome KOTY:thumbsup:!!

Last year was definitely The Year of the Lambsfoot wasn't it Charlie :) I hope we get to see another one like that some day ;) That is a very interesting choice my friend :cool: 2020 has been a sad year in so many ways :( :thumbsup:

Some wonderful choices posted. :)

First year for me. Started getting back into traditional folders late 2019, and have since accumulated more than I need or have a use for. I like many of them. I have to say the one that surprised me with how much I like it, is the Boker Barlow Expedition. I like green micarta on knives, and I love brass. The little Boker feels just perfect to me, in my hand, and I really enjoy throwing it in my pocket.

My 2020 bestest knife.
original.jpg

My knife of 2020 is very similar to my knife of 2017. Not the most practical of designs, not even a spring knife, it is nonetheless a traditional knife that I've long desired.

50710124528_3946911369_b.jpg

I've always enjoyed seeing the knives you post my friend, you have interesting taste. When I saw that one posted in the FB thread, I immediately checked out what they were selling for, on this side of The Pond, these days! :D :thumbsup:

Some wonderful choices posted. :)

First year for me. Started getting back into traditional folders late 2019, and have since accumulated more than I need or have a use for. I like many of them. I have to say the one that surprised me with how much I like it, is the Boker Barlow Expedition. I like green micarta on knives, and I love brass. The little Boker feels just perfect to me, in my hand, and I really enjoy throwing it in my pocket.

My 2020 bestest knife.
original.jpg

Nice choice :) :thumbsup:

2020 has been the year of the FRENCH traditional for me. Much to my surprise I have acquired 5 from January through just today. The one that started this trend for me was the first and today I offer it as my favorite ~

Traditional Knife of 2020 - it is my L'AURILLAC by Pierre Yves Joyeux

This very affordable & beautifully made custom keeps delighting me. Just a wonderful form, slicey knife, pretty and comfortable to hold. Elegant and understated too! What's not to love.

Here it is out in the sun soaking up some admiration from a local :)

My very newest from France - just in today, will certainly compete for attention and won't make it to next years favorite list - according to the JB Rules for this thread :( - but you all will certainly be seeing it in posts to come. Doesn't take anything away from L'Aurillac de Joyeux :thumbsup:

Last edited:
2020 has been the year of the FRENCH traditional for me. Much to my surprise I have acquired 5 from January through just today. The one that started this trend for me was the first and today I offer it as my favorite ~

Traditional Knife of 2020
- it is my L'AURILLAC by Pierre Yves Joyeux

View attachment 1472375

This very affordable & beautifully made custom keeps delighting me. Just a wonderful form, slicey knife, pretty and comfortable to hold. Elegant and understated too! What's not to love.

Here it is out in the sun soaking up some admiration from a local :)

View attachment 1472387

My very newest from France - just in today, will certainly compete for attention and won't make it to next years favorite list - according to the JB Rules for this thread :( - but you all will certainly be seeing it in posts to come. Doesn't take anything away from L'Aurillac de Joyeux :thumbsup:

Nice-looking knife, beautiful handle material. :thumbsup::thumbsup:

Back