Your Traditional Knife of 2020

I've always enjoyed seeing the knives you post my friend, you have interesting taste. When I saw that one posted in the FB thread, I immediately checked out what they were selling for, on this side of The Pond, these days! :D :thumbsup:

Ecletic I suppose you could call it. What can I say, I really like knives!

If you are interested in that dagger Jack, you'll want to grab one sooner rather than later. They're not going to get any cheaper. The company founder just cashed out and sold CS to a private equity firm.

2020 has been the year of the FRENCH traditional for me. Much to my surprise I have acquired 5 from January through just today. The one that started this trend for me was the first and today I offer it as my favorite ~

Traditional Knife of 2020
- it is my L'AURILLAC by Pierre Yves Joyeux

View attachment 1472375

This very affordable & beautifully made custom keeps delighting me. Just a wonderful form, slicey knife, pretty and comfortable to hold. Elegant and understated too! What's not to love.

Here it is out in the sun soaking up some admiration from a local :)

View attachment 1472387

My very newest from France - just in today, will certainly compete for attention and won't make it to next years favorite list - according to the JB Rules for this thread :( - but you all will certainly be seeing it in posts to come. Doesn't take anything away from L'Aurillac de Joyeux :thumbsup:

Very handsome Ray :) I'm enjoying seeing all the French traditional being posted in the EDC thread lately. If you were to put your new knife away until Christmas Day, and only carry it after that, it would qualify for next year's KOTY, assuming you wanted to nominate it, I think :thumbsup:

Ecletic I suppose you could call it. What can I say, I really like knives!

If you are interested in that dagger Jack, you'll want to grab one sooner rather than later. They're not going to get any cheaper. The company founder just cashed out and sold CS to a private equity firm.

Indeed you do Christian, and you have a great eye I think! :) I've admired the Tai-Pan from when CS first started doing it. It's a knife I almost certainly couldn't ever justify carrying here, but that wouldn't necessarily stop me buying one! :D That's interesting news about LT, I didn't know that :thumbsup:

The pandemic has introduced some new terms into our vocabulary, some are mainstream and some are more low key or made up. My favorite one is "hard pants", I thought I made it up but I have no proof of that. I just know when my wife says we are going to the grocery store, I tell her to wait a couple minutes so I can get my "hard pants" on. Sadly working from home pretty much all year has me wearing fleece pajama pants and a hoodie for my work attire :rolleyes: However the upside to getting on my hard pants is that it means my knives get some pocket time and no other knife has gotten more time than my Dwight Divine junior scout which I acquired in late January. It is my 2020 hard pants carry of the year :D
DDS-1D.JPG DDS-1C.JPG DDS-1A.JPG

This has been a very strange year to say the least . Even with that , I was able to get some knives that I wanted to get this year . They were : A better Original
Russell Barlow , another Commemorative Russel Barlow , an OLD Northfield , a Stag 72 , 73 , or 74 , some Ironwood and Amboyna wood covered knives , and an Old Stag Pruner . That has been accomplished . I like them ALL !!!!! HOWEVER , the one that is in my pocket now and has been most week days since I got it in either May or June is this Old Pruner . There is no name of the manufacturer and I do not believe that there ever was . I tend to think it was made by a Cutler at his home shop . When you look very carefully at it , you have to ask : Was the knife made to fit the STAG ???? It has steel liners with Integral Bolsters . The Spring is flush in all 3 positions and square to the end with the Bolsters and the Blade . It still snaps like a Snapping Turtle after over 1oo years . It sharpens up well for me . As most of you know , Stag is my favorite cover material and this one will not develop Verdigris because there is No Brass . The price I paid was $ 28 plus freight from inside the U.S.A. It is usually carried with another smaller traditional , but I do use it a lot .

Harry

This year is an easy pick, it’s my schrade made shapleigh jr cattle.

065B2A1F-1681-4EF6-B3C7-00F3E99BFD15.jpeg

I bought it at the end of january and didn’t carry it much at all until the last few months where it’s been with me non stop. I don’t have the desire to leave it at home any time soon. Here it is before I really started using it.

0CF0855E-E1DE-41A7-848F-7CCEF77C3D39.jpeg

9B54E400-53BD-4C84-8F2C-B028F489F592.jpeg

When I was a kid ,8 or 10 my Grandad gave me a gently used early 70’s Case 3318He. I was really proud of that knife and carried it up into my early 20’s before losing it.
This year I found one from 1974 that hadn’t been used much for a good price. I snatched it up and the pin crack on the one side doesn’t bother me a bit.
My wife had given me a 1999 3318 and while I am very fond of it there’s just no comparison between the two really. Very different feels to each of them.
So my knife of 2020 has been my new to me 1974 Case 3318HE.

I like this thread, Jack, but I find myself in the same predicament as yourself: my 2020 Knife of the Year would be my 2019 Knife of the Year if it were eligible. That would be my olive wood Laguiole from Honoré Durand:
5v9Nk7n.jpg

My runner-up last year was my No. 8 Opinel, and that has not changed.
6xkOibD.jpg

They are the two knives that are always in my pocket or on my nightstand, with the Laguiole taking top honours.

I, too, acquired fewer knives this year. I only bought two, but won two giveaways abd was gifted six knives from very generous individuals:
VQZnByS.jpg

However, no single one stood out, as required by your rules. One pattern did particularly impress me, though. The Thiers knife, of which I acquired two:
V83D0rK.jpg

I had planned early in the year to get the larger knife (from Fontenille Pataud) for my birthday in October. Before I received it, I was given the compact knife with a juniper handle by @timberweasel (he was giving away a 1960 US demo knife, but threw in two additional knives and a small flashlight--a very pleasant surprise). It is difficult to choose a favourite between the two, but they don't qualify as per your rules, since I was able to keep them out of my pocket. I have carried all of my 2020 acquisitions, and enjoy them all, but I cannot nominate any of them as my Knife of the Year. So I guess it's "on my bike", as you put it. Maybe something will knock off the Laguiole next year.

I am enjoying everyone's posts. Wishing everyone a safe and Happy Christmas (and Hanukkah)!

Hey, it’s one of my favorite threads of the year! :D I always look forward to this! :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

For the past few decades, I've been something of a knife-floozie, finding many, many special knives, which have regularly occupied my pocket for a few weeks, or a few months. I have loved them all, and enjoy pocketing them again from time to time. However, it's been many decades since a knife went in my pocket anywhere near as regularly as my Hartshead Barlow. It's well-made I think, and a pattern I like, but I have lots of well-made knives, and lots of Lambsfoot knives. I struggle to understand what it is about this knife, which has won both my heart and pocket, but it has. I carry it almost everyday, and on the odd occasions I don't, I miss it. When I use another knife, I wish I was using my Hartshead Barlow. How long this state will last I don't know, but there's no doubt it has eclipsed all the other knives in my collection in terms of being carried and used, I have over 1500 photos of it! :D However, while it was my KOTY in 2019, it cannot be my KOTY 2020, because it isn't a knife which I got this year.

tuykmo0.jpg

Because of the crazy situation this year, I've acquired far fewer knives than usual in 2020, but an honourable mention, I think, must go to Charlie @waynorth 's Black Jack, which I feel is an exceptionally fine and well-made piece of cutlery :) However, while I enjoy carrying it, it has certainly not been carried anywhere near as much as my Hartshead Barlow.

EkOqRco.jpg

So folks, this year, I don't have a qualifying Traditional Knife of the Year :( But I'm looking forward to seeing yours :) :thumbsup:

Jack, I would’ve thought your Bradford Guardian 3 might’ve gotten the nod this year. Sure, it’s no HHB ;), but I feel like we’ve seen an awful lot of it in your posts this year. Just sayin’. :D :thumbsup:

My knife of the year for 2020 is a toss up between two knives (don’t worry, Jack, I’ll pick just one in the end ;)), but first, a few honorable mentions.

Scout’s Scout is probably the most special knife that I got this year. I knew I wanted one of these #15’s with the SCOUT shield to be “her” knife (i.e., the knife I’d have with me when she was born, and would subsequently carry on special occasions and milestones in her life), and I really wanted one in Nifebrite acrylic to match Eleanor’s knife (a Nifebrite #71 Bull Nose). Of course, that was easier said than done. These hadn’t been made in several years, and the SCOUT shield #15’s are desirable and hard to come by.

I posted a few times in the WTB section, and reached out to some Porch friends looking for leads. JohnDF JohnDF was one of those friends, and he ended up sending me his own Nifebrite #15 Scout. I would’ve been more than happy to pay a premium price for one of these, but John wouldn’t let me pay him anything for it! :eek:

So thank you again, John! :D And to those of you who I also reached out to, thank you for humoring me. More than one of you extended an offer of a #15 Scout with different covers, in case I didn’t find the one I was looking for, and I greatly appreciate the help! :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

The only reason I’m not making this my knife of the year is that I feel like I haven’t carried it often enough for it to qualify. I had it in my pocket for a couple weeks in the spring (Scout ended up coming about a week late, and I didn’t want to have to rush to the hospital and not have it on me, so I kept it with me for a quite a while around her due date), and I’ve carried it a few times since, but not enough for this thread.

qjM5t4D.jpg

Here it is with Eleanor’s Bull Nose (unlike Scout’s Scout, that knife was not planned; it really was just the knife I happened to have in my pocket that day).

jE25AEf.jpg

My second honorable mention is this Tidioute #23 in Woodland Micarta. I put this knife to work this summer, carrying it exclusively for several weeks. It might’ve been close to a month. While I do really like this knife, the reason it spent so much time in my pocket was because I wanted to see how I felt about carrying this large pattern (4.5” closed) regularly, and I picked the least “fancy” one to use and abuse for a bit. I like some of the other cover options from this run more than this Micarta, so I don’t think it could be my knife of the year.

UAWWoSK.jpg

Now for the two finalists. First is the 2020 BladeForums Viper Swayback. I’m not going to lie, I didn’t really expect to like this knife that much. I’ve purchased the annual forum knife every year since I’ve been active here on the Porch (I think 2015 was my first). I’ve kept the ones I like, but I’ve also let a couple go when they weren’t my cup of tea. I was afraid that this one might end up being one of the latter (even though I was excited that my design/mock-up for the blade etch ended up being used), but man, this thing really surprised me! I love the horn, the fit and finish are great, and the blade is thin and slicey. Plus, I’m a sucker for a lanyard hole! ;)

Xjjttsf.jpg

My second finalist is this Alber’s Cutlery Co. in Bocote. This was from Eric’s initial test run of 15 knives, which makes it extra special. This knife is beautifully made, with a fit and finish on par with some of my better GEC knives. I feel like it could be a bit thinner behind the edge, but I haven’t had to sharpen it yet as the edge Eric put on it is excellent, and the CPM154 holds that edge well.

oylNSsT.jpg

So now I have to choose. I honestly thought I was going to go with the Albers when I started writing this post. I like that’s it’s handmade by one man using traditional methods, and while I don’t think the Viper is a bad looking knife, I don’t particularly like the look of the Torx screws or that large pivot screw on the bolster. And I have carried the Albers often…

…but not as often as I’ve carried this year’s forum knife. I don’t usually carry more than one pocket knife, but since I got this years BF knife, I’ve been pairing it up with a more traditional knife 9 days out of 10. It’s seen a lot of pocket time. So, given the criteria for the thread, I guess I’d have to say that my 2020 knife of the year is the BladeForums 2020 Viper Swayback. (And, personally, that’s quite a surprise! :eek: :D)

JyvOsir.jpg

Harry - Old Engineer Old Engineer - I'll give you $32.00 + S&H for that beautiful Old Pruner! :D

That is a big WOW from me. What a lovely!!!
Thank you very much Ray !!!! That is much appreciated , but it is against my Grain to make a 14 % gain in a 6 month period which then would be a 28 % annualized gain . I will have to hold on to it for some time yet to move that rate down and at 80 Years old , I may not live long enough , but I really do appreciate your offer .

Harry

My 2020 KOTY is this Case Trapper in peachseed jig antique bone. This one came in August. I'm a sodbuster guy but I always liked to try a trapper. However I hesitated because of the size. Then I saw this one and liked the looks of the bone so I went ahead and purchased it. I'm glad I did. I was surprised how comfortable the trapper is in use. It feels very nice in the hand. And it's not that heavy in the pocket as I thought it would be.
7WuMGx2.jpg

Last edited:
My 2020 KOTY is this Case Trapper in peachseed jig antique bone. This one came in August. I'm a sodbuster guy but I always liked to try a trapper. However I hesitated because of the size. Then I saw this one and liked the looks of the bone so I went ahead and purchased it. I'm glad I did. I was surprised how comfortable the trapper is in use. It feels very nice in the hand. And it's not that heavy in the pocket as I thought it would be. I may get some more in the future.
7WuMGx2.jpg
Case trappers are great. Got two. And a smooth bone Böker trapper (gift from @Modoc ED), which is just as nice. Great fit for a man's hand, and the blades are a perfect size.

I have had a deep love for Victorinox Swiss Army Knives for decades, and I was able to add some special “vintage” examples to my little collection this year.

A LNIB Scientist:
188CE4B7-156E-4DB5-A36B-DDF13D68722F.jpeg

A much-loved but still perfectly serviceable Automobile:
B1D1FA86-84C1-44A7-9A21-8DC161A7BB69.jpeg

A pair of early bailed Elinox Pioneers in remarkable condition:
85623E52-697C-4C0C-88D3-B166458B75E7.jpeg 5535EBBE-76C4-4B87-87F3-D4FAD1A1A06B.jpeg

And a minty Technician:
24F87FE5-E7E5-4078-837A-2CE6F8AF0629.jpeg

But my Knife of the Year is this slightly worn Pioneer:

DBEEAC82-4B99-4C2D-9F35-35D03C56F7F1.jpeg

I have an embarrassing number of Pioneers, including several “Old Cross” examples, but there was something inexplicable about this one that compelled me to immediately put in my pocket, where it remained for more days in 2020 than any other knife. I’m not sure what makes it so special. It simply is.

Last edited:
I’m going with a fixed blade this year. David Lisch M.S. is a cool blacksmith that makes killer knives and this is his Legacy model. I’ve been carrying and using it just as it deserves :thumbsup:. The sheath was made by Bob Bobbitt (Bob’s Saddle Shop - TX). Hope all is well Jack!

vsxqjjU.jpg

eWLs7tV.jpg

2dNFbpd.jpg

Awesome knives and stories shared so far! For me this GEC #62 has completely hogged my pocket since February. So much so that prior to this week I think I could count the days I didn't carry it on my fingers with some to spare (this week I've been "forcing" myself to carry something else each day). Working from home and wearing shorts nearly every day may have contributed as I find this a very light and capable carry.

full

1607825822840690915327.jpg

My 2020 koty is this custom wharnecliffe built for me by Paul @CPE_Knives. He took a sketch I sent him and built a true workhorse... Simple 1084 and rubberized micarta in probably my favorite blade shape.

Merry Christmas to Jack, and everyone else on the porch... I know I'm happy to be punching out in 2020.

I’m going with a fixed blade this year. David Lisch M.S. is a cool blacksmith that makes killer knives and this is his Legacy model. I’ve been carrying and using it just as it deserves :thumbsup:. The sheath was made by Bob Bobbitt (Bob’s Saddle Shop - TX). Hope all is well Jack!

vsxqjjU.jpg

eWLs7tV.jpg

2dNFbpd.jpg
Good to see you again my friend . I hope you are well . That looks verrrrry nice .

Harry

Back