Your Traditional Knife of 2020

With your current predilection for traditional French patterns, I think this bike would be appropriate for you, as we both cycle off into 2020 my friend ;) :D :thumbsup:

onion-johnny-french-onions-bike.jpg
Now that's my kind of bike!

Good to see you again my friend . I hope you are well . That looks verrrrry nice .

Harry

You presented an awesome knife as well Harry. That stag is awesome and it’s such a cool old knife. Everything is good here, just plugging along through work and hunting season! Hope you’re doing good bud!

Jack Black Jack Black I always enjoy this thread and thanks for the comments! Hope your back gets better!

This will be my first Christmas without him, but guess what’s gonna be in my pocket, reminding me of him and keeping his spirit alive... You guessed it.

I'm sure your father would be pleased that you are carrying that knife... I'm certain this Christmas will be hard, but what seems to help is to have a "happy memory party" to reminisce about all the funny things he did and said...
The pain of loss will get easier, gradually... my dad "graduated" about 7 years ago, and while it still hits me pretty hard at times, those times are fewer than they used to be. Just writing this makes right now one of "those times".... carry the knife with happy memories..

I'm sure your father would be pleased that you are carrying that knife... I'm certain this Christmas will be hard, but what seems to help is to have a "happy memory party" to reminisce about all the funny things he did and said...
The pain of loss will get easier, gradually... my dad "graduated" about 7 years ago, and while it still hits me pretty hard at times, those times are fewer than they used to be. Just writing this makes right now one of "those times".... carry the knife with happy memories..

Thank you for the kind words. Christmas is sure gonna be harder. Was also harder to write that message than I thought it would be.

I hope you think of your old man with fond memories also. Happy holidays from Denmark.

Last Christmas I gifted my father a Buck 303 Cadet, because he wanted a multi bladed knife. He loved it and carried it everyday until he died in a fishing accident in the start of April.

The doctors found the Buck I gifted him in his pocket when they emptied them, and gave it back to me, and it haven’t left my pocket since. I had it in my pocket when I carried him out of the church and when I lovered him into the ground. I had it in my pocket when, earlier this year, I found out I myself, is going to be a father.

This will be my first Christmas without him, but guess what’s gonna be in my pocket, reminding me of him and keeping his spirit alive... You guessed it.

I'm very sorry for your loss.

Last Christmas I gifted my father a Buck 303 Cadet, because he wanted a multi bladed knife. He loved it and carried it everyday until he died in a fishing accident in the start of April.

The doctors found the Buck I gifted him in his pocket when they emptied them, and gave it back to me, and it haven’t left my pocket since. I had it in my pocket when I carried him out of the church and when I lovered him into the ground. I had it in my pocket when, earlier this year, I found out I myself, is going to be a father.

That's very sad, I'm sorry for your loss :( Congratulations though, on your own impending fatherhood, and I hope that that all goes well for you and your good lady :thumbsup:

That's very sad, I'm sorry for your loss :( Congratulations though, on your own impending fatherhood, and I hope that that all goes well for you and your good lady :thumbsup:
Thank you. It has definitely been a rough year, for everybody, everywhere. I hope ‘21 brings more joy (and knives, let’s be honest) in the world. Happy holidays from Denmark

This year would have been a much harder choice for me if it hadn’t been for a lucky score. I finally found a knife I’ve been hunting for almost three years. It isn’t anything spectacular, but it speaks to me.
A19EE98C-7F49-47BB-BC6C-CE2703359B7D.jpeg

Just a week ago I was wondering when Jack Black would start this thread. Usually I have to think about it and narrow it down - not so this year. Back in early September I stopped by a local gun show, mostly to look for knives but just to experience the camaraderie, I haven’t been to a gun show in a long time. I met a fellow selling mostly moderns, but he had a few bayonets on display too. I looked them over and we talked a bit, when I told him what I really liked was pocketknives he invited me in to his booth and let me sit in front of a tool chest and pull out drawers and plunder through a collection he had purchased. I bought two Case pocketknives from the early 1980’s from him, patterns that I didn’t already have. One, a 1983 built 6308 really captured my attention, it was small at 3-3/8” OAL (just in my preference zone), had a decent size clip main, and is well made with great walk & talk and fit & finish. It has been my number one carry since the day I bought it - pushing my medium stockman assortment out on a regular basis. If the small clip was a coping blade it may even be the perfect knife! Here it is in an over-used photo. OH
Case-6308-Whittler-1983.jpg

This has been a very strange year to say the least . Even with that , I was able to get some knives that I wanted to get this year . They were : A better Original
Russell Barlow , another Commemorative Russel Barlow , an OLD Northfield , a Stag 72 , 73 , or 74 , some Ironwood and Amboyna wood covered knives , and an Old Stag Pruner . That has been accomplished . I like them ALL !!!!! HOWEVER , the one that is in my pocket now and has been most week days since I got it in either May or June is this Old Pruner . There is no name of the manufacturer and I do not believe that there ever was . I tend to think it was made by a Cutler at his home shop . When you look very carefully at it , you have to ask : Was the knife made to fit the STAG ???? It has steel liners with Integral Bolsters . The Spring is flush in all 3 positions and square to the end with the Bolsters and the Blade . It still snaps like a Snapping Turtle after over 1oo years . It sharpens up well for me . As most of you know , Stag is my favorite cover material and this one will not develop Verdigris because there is No Brass . The price I paid was $ 28 plus freight from inside the U.S.A. It is usually carried with another smaller traditional , but I do use it a lot .

Harry

Lovely knife Harry. The man who made that knife was paid a pittance, but the skill he possessed was obvious and undeniable. I can't imagine there being more than a half-dozen spring knife makers alive today who are able and willing to build a knife that follows the contours of an antler like that.

I’ve only really got into traditionals late last year and this year, and I’ve had a fair share pass through my hands in that short time, but without a doubt my favorite knife of the year is absolutely the 74 Mustang. Everything about it just appeals to me. It’s slim, it’s sleek, beautifully done burlap micarta covers, the perfect walk and talk, and my favorite blade shape, a drop point. It’s been used and well loved, and will be in my collection for the rest of my lifetime. A simple and elegant pocket knife. Well done!
ZUyKwN4.jpg

91eQN4a.jpg

Fou9pGD.jpg

5K9gXAv.jpg

Great post my friend, and I’m sorry for your loss. Will be my first Christmas without my dad to, I know all to well what you are going through. Going to be a weird one that’s for sure.

Great post my friend, and I’m sorry for your loss. Will be my first Christmas without my dad to, I know all to well what you are going through. Going to be a weird one that’s for sure.
Thank you, I am very sorry for your loss too. Weird thing is, that I feel a stronger connection to my family now than before the accident, I hope you feel the same way, it’s a big comfort.
I wish the best for you and your family this Christmas and the coming year.

This year would have been a much harder choice for me if it hadn’t been for a lucky score. I finally found a knife I’ve been hunting for almost three years. It isn’t anything spectacular, but it speaks to me.
View attachment 1473279

Looks pretty good to me Joshua :) :thumbsup:

Just a week ago I was wondering when Jack Black would start this thread. Usually I have to think about it and narrow it down - not so this year. Back in early September I stopped by a local gun show, mostly to look for knives but just to experience the camaraderie, I haven’t been to a gun show in a long time. I met a fellow selling mostly moderns, but he had a few bayonets on display too. I looked them over and we talked a bit, when I told him what I really liked was pocketknives he invited me in to his booth and let me sit in front of a tool chest and pull out drawers and plunder through a collection he had purchased. I bought two Case pocketknives from the early 1980’s from him, patterns that I didn’t already have. One, a 1983 built 6308 really captured my attention, it was small at 3-3/8” OAL (just in my preference zone), had a decent size clip main, and is well made with great walk & talk and fit & finish. It has been my number one carry since the day I bought it - pushing my medium stockman assortment out on a regular basis. If the small clip was a coping blade it may even be the perfect knife! Here it is in an over-used photo. OH
Case-6308-Whittler-1983.jpg

Great story my friend (Oh, to go to a gun show!) :) A very nice knife too :thumbsup:

For me this was a pretty easy decision- Albers in Mammoth:
View attachment 1473452

Very impressive Ernie :) :thumbsup:

I’ve only really got into traditionals late last year and this year, and I’ve had a fair share pass through my hands in that short time, but without a doubt my favorite knife of the year is absolutely the 74 Mustang. Everything about it just appeals to me. It’s slim, it’s sleek, beautifully done burlap micarta covers, the perfect walk and talk, and my favorite blade shape, a drop point. It’s been used and well loved, and will be in my collection for the rest of my lifetime. A simple and elegant pocket knife. Well done!
ZUyKwN4.jpg

91eQN4a.jpg

Fou9pGD.jpg

5K9gXAv.jpg

That looks like a great knife :) :thumbsup:

Sorry for your loss :( :thumbsup:

I noticed nobody has mentioned the giveaway, and can think of at least 3 reasons:

1) "Of course 'I'm in' dummy!" o_O

2) "We don't need no steenkin' patch!" o_O

3) Nobody read that far down my post :rolleyes:

So what I propose is throwing everyone's name in the hat. If you really don't want to enter, please let me know. I'm sure we'll get there in the end ;) :thumbsup:

Back