Your Traditional Knife of 2020

I've been focusing on 70's Case's this year ... strategy is to find cheaper ones with some rust/slight pitting, but full blades that I can restore. I put off buying a 6235 1/2 for years, as I'd never pay what the going rate always is for this pattern, but finally found one in rough shape, but had potential. After a couple hours of elbow grease, it's become my fave acquisition of 2020. Perfect length @ 3-3/8" & just feels substantial in hand, plus blades have that holy grail snap that we all covet. Now I understand the hype ... it's Just a great pattern. If Case ever wanted to pull an old timer out of the vault for a reissue - I bet they would set record sales if they chose the 6235 1/2 !

AELFkRK.jpg

Last edited:
The pandemic has introduced some new terms into our vocabulary, some are mainstream and some are more low key or made up. My favorite one is "hard pants", I thought I made it up but I have no proof of that. I just know when my wife says we are going to the grocery store, I tell her to wait a couple minutes so I can get my "hard pants" on. Sadly working from home pretty much all year has me wearing fleece pajama pants and a hoodie for my work attire :rolleyes: However the upside to getting on my hard pants is that it means my knives get some pocket time and no other knife has gotten more time than my Dwight Divine junior scout which I acquired in late January. It is my 2020 hard pants carry of the year :D
View attachment 1472414 View attachment 1472415 View attachment 1472416

I can see how your Scout is a Knife of the Year - that must be the finest Scout Knife I have ever seen. OH

I've been focusing on 70's Case's this year ... strategy is to find cheaper ones with some rust/slight pitting, but full blades that I can restore. I put off buying a 6235 1/2 for years, as I'd never pay what the going rate always is for this pattern, but finally found one in rough shape, but had potential. After a couple hours of elbow grease, it's become my fave acquisition of 2020. Perfect length @ 3-3/8" & heft, blades have that holy grail snap that we all covet. Now I understand the hype ... it's Just a great pattern. If Case ever wanted to pull an old timer out of the vault for a reissue - I bet they would set record sales if they chose the 6235 1/2

AELFkRK.jpg

Nice work, I like that one :cool: :) :thumbsup:

Last Christmas I gifted my father a Buck 303 Cadet, because he wanted a multi bladed knife. He loved it and carried it everyday until he died in a fishing accident in the start of April.

The doctors found the Buck I gifted him in his pocket when they emptied them, and gave it back to me, and it haven’t left my pocket since. I had it in my pocket when I carried him out of the church and when I lovered him into the ground. I had it in my pocket when, earlier this year, I found out that I myself, is going to be a father.

This will be my first Christmas without him, but guess what’s gonna be in my pocket, reminding me of him and keeping his spirit alive... You guessed it.

Been thinking about your post with all that has gone on this year, some folks really do have much more on their minds. So sorry for you in the loss of your Father, hope the season and the next year go well for you and your family. OH

I've had quite a few traditionals pass through my hands this year as I sought out which patterns worked for me and those that didn't moved on. I've found that the GEC 93 seems to be what works best for me with this particular cover being my favorite.

nZLmrIn.jpg

I can see how your Scout is a Knife of the Year - that must be the finest Scout Knife I have ever seen. OH
Thank you so much Bruce, it took me some convincing of the previous owner for him to sell it to me ;) I sent him pictures of my entire old Ulster / Dwight Divine collection as well as all of the old scout knives I have amassed. After that he was convinced that it was going to a good home :D I told him that I had not seen many Ulster scouts that weren't either Boy/Girl Scout related or military related. It turns out that the junior scout that I have in those pics ended up being the pattern/frame they used for the popular Ulster Girl Scout knife. I recently found one of the Girl Scout knives to compare it and they are basically identical with some very slight differences. I plan to post some side by sides in the scout knife forum sometime soon. :)

I'm in for the patch GAW!

Good luck Jer ;) :thumbsup:

I've had quite a few traditionals pass through my hands this year as I sought out which patterns worked for me and those that didn't moved on. I've found that the GEC 93 seems to be what works best for me with this particular cover being my favorite.

nZLmrIn.jpg

Great pattern :thumbsup:

Thank you so much Bruce, it took me some convincing of the previous owner for him to sell it to me ;) I sent him pictures of my entire old Ulster / Dwight Divine collection as well as all of the old scout knives I have amassed. After that he was convinced that it was going to a good home :D I told him that I had not seen many Ulster scouts that weren't either Boy/Girl Scout related or military related. It turns out that the junior scout that I have in those pics ended up being the pattern/frame they used for the popular Ulster Girl Scout knife. I recently found one of the Girl Scout knives to compare it and they are basically identical with some very slight differences. I plan to post some side by sides in the scout knife forum sometime soon. :)

I wasn't aware there was a Scout Knife forum :cool: :thumbsup:

I had been looking for a blacksmith knife for a long time. This one came in 2020 from BF maker Jarda Grof (swejk).

uCDEw9U.jpg

Very handsome :) :thumbsup:

Thanks Jack for setting up one of the best annual threads once again!

In 2020 I have managed to snag a bunch of great knives over the past year. The #23s, #35s and the #74s from GEC were great releases. Waynorth Cutlery had a great big Jack knife produced in ebony which I luckily snagged. I scored a Schatt and Morgan Mountain Man and even won a sweet lil stockman in a giveaway! But one stands out above the rest!

I bought this knife early on in the pandemic. When GEC was shutdown and I was in the mood for some stag and I wanted to try a new pattern. I was able to score a #29 stockyard whittler at a smoking good price from on of our local members. It didn't leave my pocket for over a month. In all honesty, it may be one of my all time favorite knives.

Having the main clip, and secondary sheepsfoot is a great combo. The punch is also a nice addition and I have used it often. Fit and finish is great and walk and talk has improved with use!

So for my knife of the year, I am choosing my Stag #29!

The stag may have lightened up and the blades may have darkened, but this thing is a GREAT EDC and can be paired perfectly with a larger folder.

Day I received it:
SFwMP7c.jpg

Today:
kAC6A6J.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks Jack for setting up one of the best annual threads once again!

In 2020 I have managed to snag a bunch of great knives over the past year. The #23s, #35s and the #74s from GEC were great releases. Waynorth Cutlery had a great big Jack knife produced in ebony which I luckily snagged. I scored a Schatt and Morgan Mountain Man and even won a sweet lil stockman in a giveaway! But one stands out above the rest!

I bought this knife early on in the pandemic. When GEC was shutdown and I was in the mood for some stag and I wanted to try a new pattern. I was able to score a #29 stockyard whittler at a smoking good price from on of our local members. It didn't leave my pocket for over a month. In all honesty, it may be one of my all time favorite knives.

Having the main clip, and secondary sheepsfoot is a great combo. The punch is also a nice addition and I have used it often. Fit and finish is great and walk and talk has improved with use!

So for my knife of the year, I am choosing my Stag #29!

The stag may have lightened up and the blades may have darkened, but this thing is a GREAT EDC and can be pared perfectly with a larger folder.

Day I received it:
SFwMP7c.jpg

Today:
kAC6A6J.jpg
Great choice Taylor. What’s not to like? Stag, clip point, secondary sheepsfoot and probably the most underrated useful tool, the punch/awl.

<snips>

I noticed nobody has mentioned the giveaway, and can think of at least 3 reasons:

1) "Of course 'I'm in' dummy!" o_O

2) "We don't need no steenkin' patch!" o_O

3) Nobody read that far down my post :rolleyes:

So what I propose is throwing everyone's name in the hat. If you really don't want to enter, please let me know. I'm sure we'll get there in the end ;) :thumbsup:

I'm a dummy, and was going to mention this. Oops.

No entry for me, thanks.

I shouldn't even be buying the occasional knife as I'm still trying to downsize from an 1800 sq ft house to a 450 sq ft apartment. :confused:

Been thinking about your post with all that has gone on this year, some folks really do have much more on their minds. So sorry for you in the loss of your Father, hope the season and the next year go well for you and your family. OH

Thank you, I means a lot. Merry Christmas OH. I’m gonna go through his old knife collection this Christmas, and maybe make a post about it. Again, thank you. I’m really in awe of the support I got from everybody on this forum, I don’t have the words too describe it.

Back