Your worst Bite

Joezilla

Moderator- Wilderness and Survival Skills
Rat or animal wise, what has been your most memorable bite?

my most memorable.....
maybe 10-12 YO and a snapping turtle locked on to my right hand..... That scared me ..few cuts & a bad memory

It's not a Rat or animal bite but it sure was memorable :eek:

I had had a few beers and it was very late (2 am) and I was whittling some wood at home with my Barkie Aurora which I had just sharpened to an atom splitting level. I had this brilliant idea that since I'm a left handed it would be a good idea to also be able to use a knife with my right hand. So I'm whittling away, doing fine, actually getting comfortable using my right hand when my brain farts and I slice the index finger of my left hand very deep with a gash that was probably 5/8 inch long. It was bleeding pretty badly but not profusely, so rather than just keep pressure applied I focused more on determining the damage I had done. So I inspected the wound and it didn't appear that I had cut anything like a tendon but I just wasn't completely sure. I still had full movement of my finger but just couldn't decide what to do. The trauma from the injury was making me very uncertain and nervous. In between stopping the bleeding, I kept opening the wound to look around. The floor had a lot of blood on it by now. I got up thinking I would wake my wife to get a second opinion and slipped in the blood and wrenched my back trying not to fall. On my way to the bedroom I fainted, the first time this has ever happened to me, and fell to the floor slamming my elbow and hip against the floor and wall. I don't think I was out for more than a few seconds but when I finally came to and started to get up I ended up projectile vomiting against the door to a closet and then stumbled into the bathroom to vomit some more. After the vomiting I splinted my finger with a coat hanger to keep the wound closed and wrapped it tightly in bandages and laid down on the couch. The bleeding was under control and I decided to just wait until morning and make a determination then whether to go to the hospital. The next morning it was really a coin toss and I decided to just deal with it at home but I was in a fair amount of pain for several days between my cut finger, the multiple deep bruises from fainting, and my aching back.

I've been bit by a turtle too. Had a hound run me down on my bicycle, gave me a nip on the leg-didn't puncture the skin but scared the hell out of me. I cut the top of my right pointer finger off with a utility knife sharpening a pencil, that got sewn back on and is completely operable but I can't feel it. Then last night i ran my brand new HEST through my left middle finger, i'll get pictures up today.

Mine was from a Micrtech Kestrel. The knife was new and I was trying to become accustomed to its small size by practicing one hand openings. I mishandled the knife and got a real doozy on my right index finger. I had blood all over my shirt, slacks and shoes. I had a doctors appointment a few hours later that day. The cut bled constantly. The receptionist nearly fainted when I walked in for my appoitment.

It's not a Rat or animal bite but it sure was memorable :eek:

I had had a few beers and it was very late (2 am) and I was whittling some wood at home with my Barkie Aurora which I had just sharpened to an atom splitting level. I had this brilliant idea that since I'm a left handed it would be a good idea to also be able to use a knife with my right hand. So I'm whittling away, doing fine, actually getting comfortable using my right hand when my brain farts and I slice the index finger of my left hand very deep with a gash that was probably 5/8 inch long. It was bleeding pretty badly but not profusely, so rather than just keep pressure applied I focused more on determining the damage I had done. So I inspected the wound and it didn't appear that I had cut anything like a tendon but I just wasn't completely sure. I still had full movement of my finger but just couldn't decide what to do. The trauma from the injury was making me very uncertain and nervous. In between stopping the bleeding, I kept opening the wound to look around. The floor had a lot of blood on it by now. I got up thinking I would wake my wife to get a second opinion and slipped in the blood and wrenched my back trying not to fall. On my way to the bedroom I fainted, the first time this has ever happened to me, and fell to the floor slamming my elbow and hip against the floor and wall. I don't think I was out for more than a few seconds but when I finally came to and started to get up I ended up projectile vomiting against the door to a closet and then stumbled into the bathroom to vomit some more. After the vomiting I splinted my finger with a coat hanger to keep the wound closed and wrapped it tightly in bandages and laid down on the couch. The bleeding was under control and I decided to just wait until morning and make a determination then whether to go to the hospital. The next morning it was really a coin toss and I decided to just deal with it at home but I was in a fair amount of pain for several days between my cut finger, the multiple deep bruises from fainting, and my aching back.

ok....THAT cracked me up.

i got it from a kitchen knife on New Yrs eve. i was chopping veggies and i chopped down on my index finger w/ force. i felt it hit the bone and made it to the sink before the blood started shooting. the mr was yelling at me the whole time b/c i felt like i was going to pass out (i have a heart condition that makes me pass out) and he wanted me to walk to the couch after he got it wrapped up. I couldn't go so i set up shop on the dining room floor. He'd make a TERRIBLE nurse! i never got stitches and the spot on my finger is still numb.

AND animal bites. i got bit by a goose when i was a kid. i no wikey ducks/geese anymore!

Many years ago, a hugh German Shepherd clamped down on my right thigh and twisted. I was bruised for three weeks.

Nothing really bad yet. I got attacked by a Rooster once, that's about the extent of my animal scares.

Never been cut too badly by a knife or an animal. I've had two nasty cuts. The first time, I put my hand through a glass Gerbil cage. It had a crack in it (I didn't know that), and I whacked it with my hand while holding it upside down over the garbage can to get some sawdust out. It took 8 or 9 stitches right at the base of my thumb. The second, I was doing a preflight check on a Cessna 172 before going for a ride and I didn't duck my head far enough in the dark while walking under the wing. The trailing edge of the wing left a nice gash in my forehead that took 7 stitches. I've never needed stitches for any knife cut.

When I was 4 years old I was bit in the face by a rabid dog. I had to get rabies shots, 21 I beleive.
Another time I was in a Banana grove and got bit on the leg by a spider. I don't know what kind it was. My leg swelled and I got sick for about a week.

ummm......... theonew wins in my book

Yeah. That's like insult to injury.

My most memorable bite was from my Kershaw Tanto Blur. I was playing with the assisted opening for a while and lost attention on the knife. Needless to say, I dropped it and it hit my left big toe. I looked down and saw no blood and checked the blade - still no blood. It was sore so I just thought the spine of the blade had hit my toe.

I then ate dinner and started surfing the net. After a few hours, I wiggle my toe and it feels wet. I look down and there's a pretty big bloody spot on my sock. Shocked, I jumped up and thought "Crap, I'm gonna need stitches!" I calmed down, sat on my bed and carefully removed the sock. Sure enough, the tip of the blade had made a deep, yet small entry into my toe. It felt like it got close to the bone. Luckily, the cut was so small that I was able to clean it up and not need stitches.

Funny part is that it wouldn't stop bleeding for a couple of days. I had to walk in my graduation ceremony the following week and didn't want a bloody foot with my relatives around. So for the whole week, I walked with a slight limp, not wanting to bend my toe and get it bleeding again. :p

When I was a kid I had a paper route (y'all know where this is going). I was really friendly with this one couple that had a really nice German Shepherd and an even nicer bull terrier. I always took the time to pet the dogs and play with them a little if time allowed. The couple had a baby. The day they brought the baby home, the wife showed me her new son through the door (aluminum jobbie with a screen higher up the door). The shepherd was lying down on the floor in the living room. I walk down the porch steps to head to the next house, when I hear a loud BAM! The shepherd bashed the door open, jumped down the steps and sank her teeth into my right calf, then layed down immediately and started crying.

The bite was pretty bad and bled A LOT, but clean, and I didn't have any nerve damage, just a decent amount of scar tissue and a scar I still have today. She was a nice dog and I know that she was only trying to protect the baby, so my parents and I tried to convince them not to put her to sleep, but they decided to do that anyway.

I think someone should hire Tarrantino to film Theo's story. No offense, but that's just plain funny.

Dog bite at about 6 years old from teasing the neighbor's Cocker Spaniel and getting a little too close. 56 years old and still remember that day and carry the scar on my right arm.

I had a golden retriever bite my hand when I was 9 or 10. All I really remember is screaming a lot.

My worst bit was from a dog way back when I worked at a kennel. The thing grabbed my extended knuckle through the chain link of the kennel and dragged back. Still have the scar.

Most memorable ones were my pet hedgehog (long deceased, now) latching onto my finger when I went to move her from under a washcloth blanket she was using to warm herself one winter. Had to shake her off! The little goober rolled back into the corner, and when I came back from bandaging my finger she was back under the cloth. :p

Also I got bit by some weird little bird at the Boston zoo once. :D

Although I have suffered at the jaws of many an animal and hunk of steel, I think the worst was my most recent cut from my Cold Steel Recon 1 folder. It sliced up the nerves and everything else on it's way through to bottom of my index finger on my left hand. Finder has been completely numb ever since (other than the scar which hurts if pulled or scratched). I only consider that the worst because of the more permanent damage. Some people tell me that the feeling has a good chance of coming back eventually. Every once in a while, i think I feel something going on, but then it goes away. The one cool thing about it is how it seems to fool my senses. I'll stick my hand in hot water to see how hot it is and my whole hand is blazing hot, other than my index finger which feels frozen. Hot water on that finger feels cold. i haven't been able to work that one out yet. Gives me a chuckle every time though.

Got bit by a pelican, damn bird clamped onto my leg but I shook it off, I suppose it serves me right for the time when fishing i CAUGHT a pelican by the beak when it tried to eat my fake lure.

Got bit by a pelican, damn bird clamped onto my leg but I shook it off, I suppose it serves me right for the time when fishing i CAUGHT a pelican by the beak when it tried to eat my fake lure.

a pelican lol...........:D

Back