Your worst Bite

00393026.jpg
I think watersnakes are the worst, bite for bite, of any of the non-venomous. If they were bigger than they are, stitches would be un-avoidable!

UGH!
A 8 foot Siamese croc nailed my left arm but he did not roll. I was working at Clyde Peeling's Reptiland in 1991.

ahh jeez thats horrible. Did he tear any skin or did you just get punctures and bruising?

Joe--- The croc tore skin and got bruised. I was lucky. I think Rex, the croc, just wanted me out of his territory!

Wow Joe, that machete wound is impressive.
I don't like to think of myself as squeamish, but i had to look away for a second. Is that bone i see in there?

Tendons. All sewed back now. Not a very good moment.

Last edited:
Joe, not trying to be rude here, but maybe you need to re-think what you do. Chopping your foot with a machete and taking all the snake bites ain't cool, bro. To put it as nice as I can, that tells me you screwed up. How do I know this? I have screwed up also. I am a whole lot more careful nowadays than I use to be. My copperhead bite was a plain accident from mis-stepping and not seeing it. If I was a guessing man, I would say yours is from attempting to pick it up? All I'm saying is you are going to Peru with us. Where we are going there is no getting you to primary care if something goes wrong. Almost had a Fer de Lance bite last trip in same area. So, just be thinking about all of this, brother.

damn Joe, your foot makes all my bites look like paper cuts. And that copperhead bite....:barf:

"This zilla dumb ass is going to Peru with me?"

you won't have to worry about me.

The gung-ho "I'm awesome at everything" assholes are usually the ones who don't have the best time.
No heroes or crocodile hunter wannabes down there.
There is a big difference between here and there.
I don't handle any venomous snakes now. Period.
Even in South Carolina, after that bite, I had to instruct the Doctors in how to treat me. Thats in the US. I ESPECIALLY don't handle snakes in other countries where I'm not familiar with anything. I have a friend who was in Ecuador, handling a snake he was trying to ID, turns out the non-venomous was exactly like one of their native coral snakes, and he was holding the Coral snake. Enter 6 years ago, I chopped my foot as well. I have also learned from that, immensely, too. Even now, every time I pick up something sharp, I take a second to remember that.

I'm just going down there to learn and eat terrible things, and I eat humble pie for breakfast. We have all learned from our mistakes, and through this thread, have learned through others.

J

After looking at some of these pictures, I think that I've been lucky. Three bites that I remember; first was a scottish terrier that bit me on the but when I was ridding on a tricycle when I was four, then a boa constrictor that I was try to feed shreded a finger and finally a yellow-napped amazon that didn't care for me making kissing noises and clamped ahold of my lower lip and hung on.
Bob

Worst I've ever gotten myself with a knife was chopping some basil for a soup we were making. Got distracted by the basketball game that was on in the living room, took my eyes off what I was doing. The blade chopped right through my fingernail and the tip of my left index finger, removing about 2mm of said digit.

It took a second or two for the pain to set in, and looking at the stumpy bleeding end of my finger, I started thinking irrationally. I gagged a little bit at the thought of a piece of my finger ending up in the soup. I retrieved the piece from amongst the chopped basil (with the bit of finger nail still attached) and figured hey, maybe if I take the piece to the ER they'll be able to stick it back on! LOL. Obviously that was absurd. Anyway, there was no stopping the bleeder at home, so I kept pressure on it with a towel and had the GF (now wife) drive me to the hospital.

Since I shaved off the tip, the wound couldn't be stitched. The doc was nice enough to inject some lidocaine in a few spots radially around the base of my finger to numb it up, before chemically cauterizing the wound with silver nitrate. He explained that when the lidocaine wore off it would hurt like a bitch for a couple of days, and that I should get the vicodin prescription filled ASAP. The pills made me a little bit loopy but did help with the pain. The silver nitrate left a nice brownish-gray color that kinda scabbed and fell off a few weeks later. It's been several years now and you can't tell unless you specifically look for it, but the tip of that finger is just slightly less round than the rest of them.

Good to go, brother Joe. I look forward to learning things from you down there. With your schooling and knowledge on creepy crawlies it's going to be a great trip!

Worst bite I got was from our siamese cat, he dug his teeth and claws in so hard, I couldn't get him to stop until I hit him against a cupboard.
Was bruised for two weeks and there are some scars still visible.

Soon after that the cat got very sick, and after his death the vet made an autopsy - the poor thing was full of cancer from head to the tip of his tail ...

One time we had a 5' blacksnake trying to make a happy home in the brickwork on the front of our house back in Jersey. I had to forceably remove him from the dwelling, but not all went to plan.

As I was explaining to the Mrs. how most snakes can't strike further than their body length, thus making it safe to pick them up by the tail, he decided to prove me very wrong.

I tend to be a stubborn bugger so I set out to show the Mrs. that they can't defy physics twice...... but he was more stubborn than me in the end, 7 bites later.

I've never since seen her laugh so hard.

I was bit by a centipede in Hawaii and a dog in Bolivia, but the most memorable bite was the mosquito that left human bot fly eggs in my scalp and right arm during a trip to Belize. After weeks of itching and oozing, a dermatologist excised the lesions and removed two wriggling, squirming, disgusting larvae. Now that was memorable!

Last edited:
THE%20BITE%202%2006-11-09.JPG

BK9 when I was shooting this picture

THE%20POST%20CARD%20b.JPG

Tom
Chestnut Ridge Knife Shop

I don't think i've ever had anything worth mentioning from an animal.
Lol I got my arms scratched up pretty good once catching a friends escaped pet rabbit. ;)

Not a whole lot from blades either. I cut my left index finger with my SAK when I was 10'ish. Had to get 4 stitches, still have the scar.

I was walking on an island and sank my foot about 2.5 feet into some soft sand. Under the sand was an oyster bed. Those shells are sharper than I realized, too. Got about a 3 in long cut that was about .75 in deep. Didn't have the boat to go back for stitches and no antiseptic, so we cleaned it with fresh water and poured some cheap whiskey into it. Wrapped it in some cloth and finished the camping trip. I couldn't walk right for about 3 weeks. Never did get stitches and there's still a nasty scar.

i'm just waiting for the day when i get bitten by my 9' BCI. i know it's going to happen. the anticipation is killing me.

no pic, but i got tagged by a 3' white-lipped python a couple years ago, felt like somebody whacked my knuckle with a screwdriver handle. it bruised up a bit, and i think a couple of teeth worked their way out over the next couple days.
l_421e39704468d2358a785ac2466fcab4.jpg

he got me again a few days later, but it was more of a love tap. overshot and only got me with his bottom jaw, somehow.
l_6d51e96de14da3fc9bcb749c07dce13f.jpg

i'd like to get another one, preferrably one not infested with mites and hatered... well, i guess the hatered would be o.k.

Last edited:
Back