You're all carrying your knives backwards!

David Mary

pass the mustard - after you cut it
Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider
Hey you, with the knife on your hip. Yeah, you! I see you're wearing it with the edge facing backward. You know that's actually the backwards way to carry your knife, don't you? It's better to carry it with the edge facing forward. Because with the edge facing forward your knife is forward, but if your edge faces backwards your knife is backward. Simple ergonology dood!

Okay, in all seriousness, with the absolutist, sensationalist tomfoolery out of the way, yes, I actually do prefer a knife on my hip to have the edge facing forward. No, I don't actually think that just because I like it that way it is right for everyone. But it allows me to deploy the knife for reverse grip edge out faster than if the edge were facing backwards, and I can deploy it for forward grip use just as easily as if the edge were backward by simply rotating my wrist so that when I grab the knife handle my palm is facing away from my body. This carry method allows more "iaido-like" deployments if one were to use it for SD, since the arm doesn't need to change directions abruptly, but can move in a more smooth and flowing continuous motion.

I also like it for utility use because I find re-sheathing a bit easier, as I can index my finger on the spine all the way up to the tip without worrying about cutting my finger. Maybe I need to shoot a quick video to show what I mean?

In the meantime, I am curious to hear others thoughts on whether you hip carry a vertical knife with the edge forward or backwards, and the reasoning for your choice. And if you have never tried edge forward, I would encourage giving it a try, as you just might like it.

P.S. I wasn't sure between GKD, S&S, or PT, so I just went with GKD. If it needs to be moved, so be it.

No crossdraw here either.

Dagger, IWB, 4 o’ clock.

MjUwlEo.jpg

I can't imagine it being easier for forward grip if you don't cross draw. But what do I know, I carry my folders RHTU in my left pocket :oops:...

interesting idear I hadn't considered there..

I always liked the Charlie Mike (RIP) downward handle sheath setup for drawing. dont own one myself but seen in Matt's videos in the past and it sure looked pretty darn useful and exposed the knife for open carry to meet his state laws...least think he used to say that anyways....

Last edited:
Real men don’t need no sheaths. We leave the house with the knife already in hand.

Kidding. Interesting thread. For me, it depends. A large fixed blade goes cross-draw, 0900 carry, edge forward. A Mora-sized knife (blade in the 5” neighborhood goes 0300. A little guy like an Izula either goes in the pocket or 1100 belt carry.

I'm too old of a dog to try new tricks...

But gosh darn you, David Mary David Mary I have to give this a try now, just because.

And no, I've never carried this direction before, always been the standard every-day ol' edge backward way.

I am not a knife fighter, BTW, in any sense of the word... I don't "deploy" my knives... so this will be strictly a utilitarian observation.

I swear, why don't you folks just leave well enough alone? (I ain't putting my belt on backwards or upside down either... thanks very much)

Last edited:
I always liked the Charlie Mike (RIP) downward handle sheath setup for drawing.

I tried it, and it felt too awkward with the downward pull. Felt like I had to hunch a bit to get the knife out. And when carried further around the back, it felt too dangerous, with the point coming out of the sheath pointing right at me. For me, it's more comfortable both physically and psychologically to pull the knife out in a manner that it will be immediately at working height, and with the point oriented in a safe direction.

Seems like that method wouldn't work too well if you don't crossdraw- there'd be a chance of slicing yourself on the draw if you're not careful, especially if you have to rush things.

I tried the Charlie Mike style and found it made for a quick release, as long as you trust your sheath enough to hold the knife in place while carrying.

Seems like that method wouldn't work too well if you don't crossdraw- there'd be a chance of slicing yourself on the draw if you're not careful, especially if you have to rush things.

I tried the Charlie Mike style and found it made for a quick release, as long as you trust your sheath enough to hold the knife in place while carrying.
True, I think a huge part of what makes this safe is a quality sheath and having a feel for the retention. I have Karambits that I can’t draw reverse grip reliably because of the strong passive retention. When I do get it out, it feels like the blade will rip right through the kydex.

True, I think a huge part of what makes this safe is a quality sheath and having a feel for the retention. I have Karambits that I can’t draw reverse grip reliably because of the strong passive retention. When I do get it out, it feels like the blade will rip right through the kydex.

Yes, I believe Kydex sheaths for karambits need special care in their construction. That being said, if made correctly (i.e. molded so that karambit doesn't cut its way out of the sheath), I would also use the edge forward sheath orientation for a karambit, such as this little no-ring karambit I made:

To get this type of clearance, I simply cover the inner radius of the blade profile from the tip to the ricasso with cardboard, so that instead of an inner radius where the Kydex can press together, the cardboard keeps the channel clear and I end up with a sheath looking like it belongs to a wharncliffe instead of a karambit.

Knife on my belt is a folder ... an Old Timer 7OT this week, but it could be a Buck 110 or a 2 blade slipjoint folding hunter other weeks.
The Old Timer and 110 are carried lock bar foward/blade spine to the rear. I've carried them that way since 1968 or 1969.
The slipjoint folding hunters are carried back springs forward.
Since they open the same way as the lock backs, I don't have to adjust my grip or modify 50 odd years of muscle memory to open them.

In 60 or 61 years of using knives, including fixed blades while hunting and/or fishing and camping, I've never needed a reverse grip, and truth to tell, I can't recall ever using that grip while peeling a critter, cleaning a fish, carving a feather stick or emergency tent stake, cutting my meal, or whittling a hotdog/marshmallow stick.

I believe the strong side carry with spine forward has been "standard" for hundreds if not thousands of years.

So far as I know, historically those who fought with a big knife (AKA: "Sword") carried them crossdraw edge forward or strong side, depending on the blade length. Either way, they were spine up and edge down when drawn.
I don't know if those who practice the martial arts with a Katana or whatever are different. In the movies, at any rate, they are spine up edge down when drawn, as well.

I'm not a knife fighter. I have zero training. Nor do I desire any training.

I'm not stupid enough to believe Hollywood's BS that if you pull a knife the armed bad guy is going to turn tail and run away if you pull a knife, regardless of the grip you use, any more than he will if you pull a gun.

In either case, they may "think" you are not willing to use the knife or gun after you pull it.

I can tell you from personal experience an armed attacker doesn't turn tail and run when you pull a gun.
Why should I think they would if their intended victim pulled knife, regardless of what grip is used?

The attacker with a knife may stop the attack if you pull a gun.
(threat ended; no shots fired.)
The bad guy with a gun, however, is just as likely to shoot you/shoot at you if you pull a gun, as he was if you were unarmed.
(shots fired.)

I agree with you. I prefer to carry my fixed blade on the hip with a forward cant and edge forward.

It's ready. I hope this clarifies anything my explanation above didn't do justice to.

afishhunter afishhunter I totally respect your experience sir, and I bet that I would look like a klutz if I tried to keep with you in any of your outdoor cutting tasks! Regarding martial arts, or more specifically modern, legally justifiable self defense, and how it ties in with the knife carry method I am advocating, I think you would enjoy a video recently posted by JParanee in PracTac.

Back