You're saying that wrong...

But, they're in the garden.

He's got you there J!

dilemma instead of conundrum

:oops: ... i don't know the difference

Drives me nuts when customers call poplar trees "popular" trees... Nobody likes those things.

I had a landlord who does that. I told him once, after hearing him say it probably twenty times or more. He patiently listened, and then said "Pop-lar. Gee, I didn't realize that, thanks Dave". Then he went right back to "popular". I guess some habits are hard to shake.

But, they're in the garden.

He's got you there J!

:oops: ... i don't know the difference

I had a landlord who does that. I told him once, after hearing him say it probably twenty times or more. He patiently listened, and then said "Pop-lar. Gee, I didn't realize that, thanks Dave". Then he went right back to "popular". I guess some habits are hard to shake.

But they look like garters;)

• Irregardless :confused:

• The fact that we seem to have replaced disconcerting with concerning - everyone including professors and journalist and other so called educated folks are saying it. :(

• ... and the other trend which has caught on AROUND THE WORLD by English speakers - starting every reply with the word SO - geez that grates me :rolleyes:

There's rather than there are. The contraction there's means there is (singular) whereas there are is not. Different uses depending on the rest of the sentence but - again - even the pros are saying it that way when there are is intended. :(

• Finally on my short list for today - I reiterate that the phrase is - I couldn't care less. NOT - I could care less, which suggest that one could be persuaded.

I cut people more slack when they are writing than when speaking. Auto correct is often not correct.

My biggest grammatical pet peeve is the incorrect usage of the word literally.

“I am literally dying of laughter right now.” NO! If you were literally dying then you would really be dying. :rolleyes::mad:

my wife is a former teacher and strict about grammar with our kids. They have excellent grammar. And the Catholic school they attend also has mandatory grammar classes. The hard part is that my two younger kids would correct the grammar of adults when they were around 4 and 5. It was embarrassing (and secretly funny), but we teach them it’s seriously impolite to correct their elders so they luckily grew out of it. Lol

Here's another one that makes me shake my head: loose > lose.

And another: it amazes me how many folks act like there is an extra U in nuclear. Nu - clear. I only see one.
I was in that "field" for many yrs...so many folks pronounced it as nuc-u-ler...
...and in med fld, larnyx instead of larynx...

...and then there is the tendency these days to add - ALITY - to words that simply don't need it.

• FUNCTION - is not improved or made more precise by the addition of the suffix - ALITY :thumbsdown:
• POTENTIAL - potentiALITY :thumbsdown:
• DIRECTION - directionALITY :thumbsdown:
• INTENTION - intentionALITY :thumbsdown:

The potentiality of it - trying to sound smarter by being less, has the unintentionally of embarrassing yourself. :rolleyes:

One from the healthcare field that makes me cringe (and think the person saying it is an idiot): "O2 stat" instead of O2 sat. The patient's O2 stat is 94%
Use of WEARY, instead of WARY. Don't get me wrong, I'm weary of strangers approaching me, too...but that's not what they mean

I've been waiting patiently, but it hasn't been addressed yet...
There
Their
They're
I clearly recall learning which to use when in about the 3rd grade.

I've been waiting patiently, but it hasn't been addressed yet...
There
Their
They're
I clearly recall learning which to use when in about the 3rd grade.

Though I touched on it briefly in my post # 27 above. Yes, you are right. Those get abused pretty hard!

How did height (hite) become heigth (hithe)? Just because the other 2 dimensions end in "th" doesn't mean you can just change the pronunciation to make them all the same.:rolleyes:

And it's oriented, not orientated.

Y’all. Seems like it’s used in the singular incorrectly.
People debate it’s spelling.
Some say “all y’all”.
I was raised Yankee. That word would never form on my lips and when I hear it I kind of cringe.

Hey yous!

I always cringed at that one.

And I remembered thinking that word crimes song was clever when I first saw it a few years ago, but forgot how mean and full of innuendo Weird Al is. Not a fan of that part.

Back