Yue recreation: ancient Chinese bronze axe made in ti alloys

Mecha

Titanium Bladesmith
Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider
The ancient Shang Dynasty era, 2500 years ago, was the Bronze Age of China. During this time many amazing weapons were made of cast bronze, including one of my favorite historical swords, the Sword of Goujian, King of Yue State.

There was a different kind of "yue" back then: the ceremonial great axe, called a yue. These axes, more like polearms, had a unique mounting system and shape. They also often had wild-looking faces cast into them, and more.

Here is a simple yue, made of titanium alloys, some examples of the ancient ones, and a statue of a Chinese girl in armor, holding a mounted yue. Eventually I would like to make one with a face, once I get the capabilities to do so. Or maybe WValtakis WValtakis will carve out the entire thing. He engraved the symbol on this one, which is Shang Dynasty era "metal" script, the character for "yuan," which means "head of" or "boss" of something. Not sure if I want to try to inflict that on him, though.

gBSNPmo.jpg

SJrEiJN.jpg

aCSDLYc.jpg

9XgSPqA.jpg

d638nOF.jpg

78iQ10h.jpg

XVD3JJR.jpg

dewdWdG.jpg

pZkTJ67.jpg

HigxAsv.jpg

The yue is an interesting type of blade. I like the one that only has a mouth. :D

13 inches in length? Wow. I'm certianly not complaining! It's like 2 lb 6.7 oz right? Lightning fast but hits like a meteor!

Last edited:
Back