Yvsa- anyone know him or can help?

Yeah, sadly that's what happened with the Micro Bowie. The original 18 with the shorter handle were perfect.
The big hands requested the inch longer handle and it hasn't been the same since.

Wish I'd kept 3 or 4 of the originals instead of giving them away. But mine will undoubtedly outlast me so guess it's not a big deal after all.

Yep! I have to agree! Bhaktas original ones were the best in my opinion. They had a bit of recurve in the blade as well which I really liked a lot and fit my hands perfectly. It is still my favorite EDC and I doubt anything will ever replace it. I have some close ones but Mr B you did a good service to the AKB by a long shot! Thank you sir for that! They are definitely special. Designs like yours and Yvsa's are what makes HI great! Kinda makes ya feel like if I had a good idea I could have one made myself. Uhhh. That aint happend and prolly wont but if something comes to mind I feel good that Ms Yangdu would consider it! Wont get that from any other knife company! 1974:eek: Dang! I was just in high school!

I certainly don't fit in the same category as Yvsa. Not on my best day.

Made me feel warm and fuzzy you writin that but I'll never be up to that standard.

88002156-6E53-4BAF-AB2E-6703A454D7A6.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

24F68ECC-67AE-4FE8-B248-CAE2586B2BD8.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

1E029318-A2CF-4815-9AC1-85BC3DF2E3E2.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Here are basic measurements. I found someone to 3D print it. Should be printed next week.

3D printing is some amazing stuff! Awl tips dont break off when shipping 3D files :) Kamis dont work off 3D files but we certainly do. Thats a new one for them i bet. Id love to see their faces when they get a printed copy of the knife to duplicate by hand and memory. They would then hang a pattern on their walls for future reference and who knows what they would think of us westerners that spent a significant chunk of our lives to come up with something like this technology to later be translated back to hand hammered steel. You just gotta love it and i think about what it takes to get the product from "A" to "Z". Dont get me wrong. I would love it if you could digitize your grandpa's designs and put them in an HI digital library! Im just thinking that HI likely has never had a 3D print of a knife to work off of and this is probably a first. Interesting to see how this may go!

there are 3d printers that use alloy steel, titanium, etc, i wonder, how much it would cost to 3d print a YCS?

[video=youtube;yKnlmfuMSgo]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yKnlmfuMSgo[/video]

Warm welcome to the blade forum

88002156-6E53-4BAF-AB2E-6703A454D7A6.jpg

That's drop dead gorgeous. Makes me want to break out the oil and steel wool and stop that rust though. Don't store it in that sheath anymore if you do so now. That leather attracts moisture and helps that rust.
Looks about 9 or 10'' long overall?

Beautiful thing and very very special.

Drop dead gorgeous and very very special... Indeed!!!!

There's two schools of thoughts for this one. A) Make it shine and look like new again, use it and give it another life. Or B) Just do the minimum to slowdown the corrosion and preserve it as is with all its history and previous life marks.

It's yours now and very precious. Think of what Yvsa would do with it.

Scara, I remember when that happened. IIRC, the knife that UB posted as a joke was actually a knife that had been made for a previous customer.

I also want to offer my welcome to Yvsa's grandson.

Welcome, Yvsa's grandson. I used to interact with Yvsa a good bit on the forums back in the early 2000s.

Although I never met Yvsa, Bill, myself, Rusty, Cliff and Yvsa use to have some incredibly fun times on the forum in the early 2000's time frame. I do remember he was a big fan of clip point bowie styles. We use to boom on this forum back in those days. Lots of fun. I sometimes miss that time.

3C685CF5-55B6-4B02-8989-75AADAE0928D.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

C21A7209-300C-4EE3-B8F5-AF2CC8ED68B8.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

8AFD3D23-AE60-4C08-8BF1-2D33A57ABE50.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

977C5A84-1F70-42F2-8785-EDCEE9A6FBCA.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

This is Yvsa's very first custom knife. Whatcha think? It is the most special knife I have.

That handle looks like it would be so comfortable it would be more natural to hold the knife than to have an empty hand. Love that you found this place where so much of your grandfather's comments and thoughts are shared throughout the threads. Hope you find much here to remember him with.

Your Grandfather was a "friend",& that says quite a bit! Look around his knives & you will find something special...you will find a large HI pocketknife! I think HI only made one,LONG AGO & I bought it.I gave it to your Grandpa as a gift.I wish I had kept his response,I thought I was going to have to fly out & make him keep it. He would do for others ,but he had a difficult time believing he was blessed enough to recieve gifts .He was a very humble man .However,he did have a timper!LOL!
I would call & set him off on purpose.He swore "payback".I would laugh & hang up.There were a number of us that were real close.That time has come an gone.
Not a bad thing,it's just life.
THE DUCK!

Your Grandfather was a "friend",& that says quite a bit! Look around his knives & you will find something special...you will find a large HI pocketknife! I think HI only made one,LONG AGO & I bought it.I gave it to your Grandpa as a gift.I wish I had kept his response,I thought I was going to have to fly out & make him keep it. He would do for others ,but he had a difficult time believing he was blessed enough to recieve gifts .He was a very humble man .However,he did have a timper!LOL!
I would call & set him off on purpose.He swore "payback".I would laugh & hang up.There were a number of us that were real close.That time has come an gone.
Not a bad thing,it's just life.
THE DUCK!

attachment.php

Here's some more information about that pocketknife made by Bura that made its way to Yvsa:

... The Bura Folder!

attachment.php

"This is one of the "make what you want" projects and Bura has demonstrated once again why he holds the title of Royal Kami and is BirGorkha foreman...This folder is ten inches overall, 5.5 when closed. Blade is excellently done, marked with HI and Bura's mark. Handle grips are beautiful deer horn and excellently executed. And they are gray, not blue like my lousy photo equipment shows. The fit and finish are impressive, about 99%, just enough to let you know this is a hand made knife and not something pumped out by a machine."
-- Bill Martino 01-18-2002, from http://www.bladeforums.com/forums/showthread.php/186058-Folder-by-Bura-Pix-amp-sign-up-time

"Yup!!!! You read it correctly!!!! Tsimi sent me the Bura Folder!!!! Tsimi likes to mess around with my head, (doesn't he everyone's?) and sent me Bura's folder just as he got it. No sharpening the burr off the blade, nada, nuthin, zilch, it's in absolutely pristine condition. Now I can't deny that I'm kinda surprised at Tsimi's actions in one way, but it does show he knows how to get it sharpened by me without sending it to me asking me to put one of my edges on it... Tsimi told me to keep it a while and I'm gonna do just that. I pick it up, look it over a bit, put it back down, and in an hour or so pick it back up and do it all over again...
I haven't even began to think about putting an edge on it although what ever I do it will probably wind up a Moran or Convex edge before I send it back to Tsimi as it's my favorite edge no matter the grind on the blade. I don't have any chisel ground knives nor do I ever expect to. That would be my only concession to Not using a convex edge.
When/If I ever get any Japanese cooking knives that will be the day I have chisel ground edges in my house...
I will get a review and some pix up, but don't expect anything anywhere near soon. I've been pretty busy lately and a decent review takes time....
I will say at this time that the fit of the blade against the back spring when the knife is open is as accurate as I could've done with a precision grinder well and carefully set up to grind perfectly square!!!!
That in itself is absolutely amazing!!!!
Not all of the fit is quite as good as this, but under the conditions Bura made this folder in I find that equally absolutely amazing!!!!
Under further examination by Tsimi and resulting correspondence by Tsimi with Uncle Bill it has been determined that the handle slabs aren't buffalo horn.
Uncle Bill, I think Tsimi told me, told Tsimi that the handles are deer horn and they do appear to be that on 1st couple of looks and probably may well be, I'm not ready to dispute Bro on that but to me they also have the appearance of bone that's been well sun bleached.
I have some well aged Deer, American Buffalo, Cow Shoulder, Turkey, Eagle and maybe even some Horse bones laying around a circle in our backyard that looks real similar when worked.
Only one side of the slabs makes me think it could be bone from the end and side grain, But then I'm kinda wondering if Pala didn't get some of the Elk Antler that Rusty had given him to make handles from and took it back to Nepal.
The slabs look more like that Elk ANtler than anything else and would explain everything...
What gets me is that I was under the understanding that the Nepali Deer aren't all that large and these slabs are really big, but I've seen documenteries with the little Sambar Deer in India and they have some pretty large racks, perhaps the Nepali Deer do as well? Bro?"

-- Yvsa, 02-02-2002, from previous thread

Steve,
Just saw this,brings back some old memories of close friends.That folder in your pic I gave to THAT NDN!!I know he loved it....don't think he ever posted....didn't give it to him too post....it was something one friend does for another!
THE DUCK!

That's evidently the only surviving photo of the Bura folder on the whole internet. As for "that NDN" (Yvsa), I'm lucky to have made his acquaintance while he was still here.

Back